U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 07:29 AM

1,279 posts, read 2,117,362 times

Advertisements

Last I knew, polygamy was illegal in all 50 states.

Pastor marries pregnant teen with wife’s blessing | New York Post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2015, 07:32 AM

2,495 posts, read 2,531,262 times
I'm with you. It happens in many states as far as I know. Why they aren't arrested, I don't know.

Old 12-01-2015, 07:33 AM

15,006 posts, read 31,383,615 times
What can a 19 year old girl possibly see in an overweight 60 year old man?

Old 12-01-2015, 07:39 AM

1,279 posts, read 2,117,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
What can a 19 year old girl possibly see in an overweight 60 year old man?
Yes!!!! That's exactly what I wondered!!

Old 12-01-2015, 07:45 AM

8,398 posts, read 9,889,935 times
Ew...

Old 12-01-2015, 07:51 AM

10,577 posts, read 7,276,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poodlestix View Post
Last I knew, polygamy was illegal in all 50 states.

Pastor marries pregnant teen with wife’s blessing | New York Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
I'm with you. It happens in many states as far as I know. Why they aren't arrested, I don't know.
Because they did nothing illegal, perhaps?

The article does not indicate that they applied for a civil marriage license - they merely conducted a religious marriage ceremony. That's not illegal. They're not legally married. Also, no minors were involved. Legally, this man in the article is married to one woman.

Some years ago - maybe a dozen, long before same-sex marriage was legal here in Minnesota - I attended the wedding of two women. It was performed in a local church, with a pastor presiding. But there was no application for a civil marriage certificate and neither party attempted to register the marriage with the state nor did they claim marital status in a legal since - for example, on tax returns - so it remained nothing other than a private religious rite that involved the state in no way.

So it is with this polygamous marriage. No laws were violated.

Old 12-01-2015, 09:25 AM

5,444 posts, read 4,851,362 times
As long as she is not being held against her own will and consented to the sex which got her pregnant in the first place, I don't see why this matters to any of us. Nothing illegal is being done here.

Old 12-01-2015, 10:06 AM

3,605 posts, read 3,166,830 times
There is just always something wacko about born again Christians.

Technically and legally, it's not wrong, but Ewww! and it's just wrong on so many other levels. Poor baby who will be raised in that environment.

I don't see anything about the pastor and his first wife having children. Maybe they needed a surrogate mother to have one for them.

Old 12-01-2015, 10:13 AM

9,536 posts, read 7,839,241 times
" Poor baby who will be raised in that environment. "

What environment?
A kind, loving father, a kind loving mother, a good house, adequate food, a decent education...
THAT kind of environment?

You have no idea what kind of environment that baby will be brought up in. Neither do I.

Remember, "It is far batter to keep silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!"

Another old-timey aphorism regarding May-December marriages:
What does December see in May? Springtime, of course.
What does May see in December? Christmas, of course.

Old 12-01-2015, 10:23 AM

3,605 posts, read 3,166,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
" Poor baby who will be raised in that environment. "

What environment?
A kind, loving father, a kind loving mother, a good house, adequate food, a decent education...
THAT kind of environment?

You have no idea what kind of environment that baby will be brought up in. Neither do I.

Remember, "It is far batter to keep silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!"
From one fool to another...Unfortunately, you don't know what kind of environment either. This baby may get food and shelter and someone to love him/her. I wouldn't bet on a decent education or a healthy environment. This 'union' does not seem healthy. Chances are this baby is either going to feel like an outcast in the community or be highly sheltered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or