Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2015, 06:49 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times

Advertisements

Breast feeding is wonderful, and a mother feeding her child, beautiful.

However, the mom in the OP is not projecting that beautiful image, her anger and hostility overriding everything else in the photo. Why is it so difficult to understand that what she is doing does make some people uncomfortable? That discomfort may be theirs to own, but why go out of your way to see if you can trigger it? All she had to do was pull her top up from the waist and use it to cover most of the breast rather than yanking the shirt down from the neck. There are also blouses designed for nursing. Also, a booth would have afforded more privacy than a table in the middle of the room.

Conspicuous militancy does not advance the cause for breastfeeding in public.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2015, 07:25 PM

3,138 posts, read 2,779,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Is there this much outrage over Lady Gaga, Kim Kardashian, Rihanna or Miley Cyrus posting booty shots on Instagram? This kid is going to age out of breast-feeding in a couple of years. The Pop singers can keep up the flow of soft-core entertainment for decades longer. We need some perspective on this.

You are comparing apples and oranges...

The performers/entertainers you list are just that: entertainers. Their bottom line is profits and $$$$. They use sex to get this. They don't pretend to portray an image of selflessness for some greater good.

This self absorbed, attention-seeking woman is a hypocrite. She's using her position as a nursing mother, and as I stated before, her poor innocent baby, to illicit negative reactions in others...all the while pretending to be doing this for the sake of breast feeding mothers everywhere.

Girl,Please!

(that last statement wasn't directed at you, but rather the blogger in the photo).

Old 12-03-2015, 07:29 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,752,582 times
Quote:
You aren't in much position to criticize the o.p. Covered is even more provocative than uncovered in America. You know that. A church sanctuary was not the place to breastfeed, covered or uncovered. People eat in restaurants, they do not eat in church sanctuaries.The polite thing would have been to find an out of the way place, churches are chock full of them AND covered up. In a restaurant, with breasts the size of the woman under discussion, covered might have been less controversial, but I'm not going to quibble with her choice. Restaurants do not usually have as many out of the way places as a church and feeding babies in toilets is gross!
So....it was YOU that left me the nasty note!! LOL. You really have a strange way of thinking.

Old 12-03-2015, 07:32 PM

1,790 posts, read 2,051,309 times
I don't want to see breasts at all so I've found an awesome technique.... I don't stare at them.

Old 12-03-2015, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Breast feeding is wonderful, and a mother feeding her child, beautiful.

However, the mom in the OP is not projecting that beautiful image, her anger and hostility overriding everything else in the photo. Why is it so difficult to understand that what she is doing does make some people uncomfortable? That discomfort may be theirs to own, but why go out of your way to see if you can trigger it? All she had to do was pull her top up from the waist and use it to cover most of the breast rather than yanking the shirt down from the neck. There are also blouses designed for nursing. Also, a booth would have afforded more privacy than a table in the middle of the room.

Conspicuous militancy does not advance the cause for breastfeeding in public.
Well said.

Old 12-03-2015, 07:52 PM

Quote:
A church sanctuary was not the place to breastfeed, covered or uncovered.
I don't see why not...after all, who invented breastfeeding?

Old 12-03-2015, 07:56 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,541,448 times
Feeding a baby is a natural act. NOTHING is sexual about it. Only people with dirty minds make it sexual.

Old 12-03-2015, 08:19 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,114,456 times
When I was young and immature, I found breastfeeding kind of distasteful and embarrassing to witness. I don't really feel that way anymore. I just wish there were more private areas to do it. We have family bathrooms now. A breastfeeding lounge in a mall or huge office complex shouldn't be too much of a stretch.

It's not a feminist issue, it's a human being issue. This is the way we are meant to feed our infants, no matter what the makers of Enfamil want us to believe.

Old 12-03-2015, 08:24 PM

37,607 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Of course she's posting pics for the attention. I think it's absurd for her to have her boob hanging out like that. And yep - I would be staring at her and shaking my head too. And I have breastfed in public, many times, discretely, with a cover.

Old 12-03-2015, 08:53 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,103,006 times
Gross. I dont' want to see that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events