Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2015, 12:28 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,414,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talkinhead View Post
I served

Turn your sarcasm meter up pumpkin.
Dont worry, pretty easy to tell that was sarcasm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2015, 12:40 PM

8,383 posts, read 4,366,655 times
I have mixed feelings.

Men being generally stronger and protective of women.
There is always the sexual thing.
The thought of women POWs being raped and tortured.
The thought of seeing women blown apart in combat.
The instinct that most women are more soft, sensitive, emotional, less pragmatic and another soldier is depending on someone with those potential attributes to watch their back.
Some women are very masculine and very strong.
Some women are very feminine and very strong.
Hopefully training and required skill sets will filter out those that can not adapt to a combat situation.
Hopefully standards will not be lowered in the name of equality.

In none of this do I intend any disrespect toward women soldiers. My hat is off to you if you make the grade and can deal with a multitude of issues you will be confronted with. No doubt some women will do better than some men. I just do not think it is an easy road to follow. Perhaps we will have a whole new caste of women warriors. Time will tell.

Old 12-06-2015, 12:41 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm1 View Post
That means pretty much nothing when it comes to their cost to field and their inpact on the efficacy of combat roles. Women die in war, its terrible, that doesnt mean they inprove the quality of our combat troops
Bottom line is, that they can now serve in combat, so all your reasons as to why they shouldn't don't mean a darn thing, but don't worry this does not mean that your man card will be revoked

Old 12-06-2015, 12:43 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talkinhead View Post
Yeah, my mom thinks I'm perfect too. Most kids tell their parents everything about their personal lives I hate to say it, but for all you know, one of your kids is a child molester. The world is a strange place lady.
Speak for yourself

Old 12-06-2015, 12:43 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,414,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Bottom line is, that they can now serve in combat, so all your reasons as to why they shouldn't don't mean a darn thing, but don't worry this does not mean that your man card will be revoked
If it reduces efficacy, increases costs and risks lives it still means a whole lot.

I have never considered myself a macho man by any means, pretty average strength wise, still dont know a single women in my life that is stronger.

Old 12-06-2015, 01:26 PM

16,587 posts, read 8,605,677 times
Rest assured standards will be lowered to create gender equity just as it has been done in the police & fire departments.
The result is not only inferior candidates, but it allows all sorts of unqualified people of any gender or race to get hired.

Heck for the non believers, just look at the recent info coming out about the female rangers and the special assistance they were given to make it.

BTW - The OP is a known poster who promotes women doing all sorts of physical jobs they are unqualified for, yet denies factual information regarding special treatment, lowered standards, and other ills of affirmative action. They have no credibility on this subject whatsoever.
But don't take my word for it, just look up their posting history on this subject, and you will see how ill informed they are.

`

Old 12-06-2015, 01:34 PM

18 posts, read 18,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm1 View Post
If it reduces efficacy, increases costs and risks lives it still means a whole lot.

I have never considered myself a macho man by any means, pretty average strength wise, still dont know a single women in my life that is stronger.
You think you could take Rhonda Rousey?

Old 12-06-2015, 02:20 PM

12,386 posts, read 8,149,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devlost View Post
You think you could take Rhonda Rousey?
For an infantryman beating her means being able to dig a fighting position faster and carry a can of ammunition for the machine gunner. A tanker or artilleryman being able to handle a shell alone. Yes I can take her doing those duties which Hollywood doesn't focus on. For a special forces soldier surprising an enemy because you are female prize fighter does have its advantages.

Old 12-06-2015, 02:26 PM

19,028 posts, read 27,592,838 times
Women In The U.S. Military Can Serve In Combat Posts

Old 12-06-2015, 02:47 PM

477 posts, read 276,528 times
Another Vietnam-like war, geographically I mean, would probably take the bravado out of most gung-ho women and a good portion of men. There'a big difference between returning to an air conditioned CHU on a FOB after a mission and humping out in the bush and returning to a mosquito and centipede infested patrol base, i.e. concertina wire and rucksack accommodations.

I recall a FID/friendly nation partner mission to the humid and hot jungle during May, and the men all lost weight at night while the women got the only air conditioned GP tent. Didn't hear them refuse that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events