Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 03:47 PM

743 posts, read 766,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageJoe83 View Post
I've been raging about this for years. Since the PC movement went into full swing about 10 years ago, Christmas suddenly became the word that everyone drops what they're doing and gasps in absolute horror when you say it. These days, with the internet fueled know-it-alls out there, our facebook feeds are full of:

"ITS NOT CHRISTMAS, ITS PAGAN WINTER SOLSTICE. CHRISTMAS ISN'T A REAL HOLIDAY. YOU ARE ALL IDIOTS FOR CELEBRATING IT".

It's the ONLY holiday whose name you CANNOT say. You can say Hanukkah, Diwali, Halloween, Ramadan, etc...but you CANNOT say Christmas. Why? Hell, you can even say Easter and Good Friday!

I get the idea of Happy Holidays...it's inclusive and multiple holidays fall in December...but why go to such amazing lengths to get rid of any reference to Christmas? FFS, Cheerios re-dubbed its famous Christmas Carol commercial to REMOVE references to Christmas.

PC has gotten out of hand. I say Merry Christmas and I don't give a damn who it offends. It's never offended anyone, for that matter. I say Merry Christmas to my Jewish friend every year, and he says the same to me on December 25th. I also wish him Happy Hanukkah. I've said it openly in public. No one has been offended. The vocal minority just need to shut up and deal with it. It's funny but it never seems to occur to these same people as they gush and parade around about Halloween, some people find that every bit as annoying as they seem to find Christmas, but there's a double standard.

Honestly, the biggest thing about this whole thing is that people go to great lengths to dump on Christmas, and anyone who wishes to celebrate it. MOST people do not celebrate it from a religious standpoint...I sure don't, and I don't know a single person in my life who does. It's totally fine.

The point? Even if you aren't religious and observing Christmas in its religious origin, this is a joyous season. People LIKE being together with their families and having big dinners. They love getting and giving gifts. They love to see the joy on their children's faces on Christmas morning. Forget the day itself, it's a joyous, happy season. Stop being so f'ing miserable and trying to drag people down with you.

I started a trend on facebook 3 years ago. I always put "I say Merry Christmas. If I offend, please unfriend". Helps clear out the negative nancy's from my "friends" each year...I had about 7 people the first year, 4 the next, and 2 last year. Makes me a very happy person. XD
Thank you for putting me in the Christmas spirit! Now I'm really looking forward to getting our tree, a bottle of Bailey's and some quality cheese and pepperoni.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2015, 03:56 PM

2,220 posts, read 2,800,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
A city councilwoman quit her job on Thursday over the word "Christmas"—then made an apparent deal to return to work, the Star-Ledger reports. Charlene Storey, a councilwoman in Roselle Park, NJ, resigned after council voted 4-2 to change the name of its tree-lighting ceremony from "A Tree Lighting" to "A Christmas Tree Lighting."

City Councilwoman Quits Over the Word 'Christmas'

Good riddance to Commie Councilwoman.

Oh, she came back after all....

Old 12-07-2015, 04:26 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,083,984 times
I'm not religious and I take no deeper meaning to the Christmas holiday than the commercialized one which its been made into these days. So with that said.........I have absolutely no idea why anyone would possibly be bothered by it being called Christmas. Get over yourself.

Old 12-07-2015, 04:37 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,929,707 times
I'm an atheist, but have no problem with calling it a 'christmas tree lighting'. This woman went off the deep end, and needs some help, and possibly a few drinks.

Old 12-07-2015, 04:43 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
I'm an atheist, but have no problem with calling it a 'christmas tree lighting'. This woman went off the deep end, and needs some help, and possibly a few drinks.
Right, there shouldn't be a problem at all. Why would an atheist care what the Christians call their lit tree, even in public? Why should I care what the Jews call their 8 candles? Should we call the Menorah the "holiday candle" or the dreidel the "holiday top"? Why does no one propose these things? Why is it always about Christmas?

No one's making anyone go to the tree lighting or even pay any attention to it. No one is making ME light a Menorah. I don't care what anything is called unless it directly concerns me, and only my religion directly concerns me. Everything else is irrelevant to me and not my business. I literally cannot comprehend how and why others care so much, especially if it's not even their religion/celebration/observance. I just don't get it. What gives a non-Christian or "non-believer" as she is to say Christians can't say "Christmas tree"? It boggles my mind.

Old 12-07-2015, 05:27 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,678,036 times
Oh come on, quitting your job over something trivial as that? the U.S is mostly Christian, atleast nominally and Christmas will always be a big part of this nation. I'm all for celebrating other holidays, but being offended by Christmas is just way too overboard.

This woman can't be serious.

Old 12-07-2015, 05:50 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,645,078 times
She needs a couple of tokes. mmmm

My township just had our Christmas tree lighting ceremony last night, complete with fireworks.

The police department sent out an email to remind people. They called it a Christmas Tree Lighting.

The funny thing is, half the township is Hindu!

I am not religious, but December 25th is Christmas! I don't understand people who get offended by that.

Old 12-07-2015, 05:58 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,111,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
I try to avoid upsetting people, so I just say "Merry Christmahaunakwanza".
you forgot Happy Festivus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye state your name View Post
As a Jew, I find your greeting extremely offensive.

First, Christmas is the celebration of the birth of the revered messenger of Christianity.

Secondly, Hanukkah is a MINOR festival to celebrate the miracle of lights when one day's supply of oil burned for 8 days until more oil could be secured. It is not "sacred" and should not be seen as anywhere near the importance of Christmas is to Christians.

Finally, Kwanza is a politically motivated "holiday" invented by , Ron Everett, a 1960's Black Nationalist. Everett was imprisoned in 1971 for kidnapping and torturing two women with soldering irons, a vice and bleach. Everett, now know as Maulana Karenga, created Kwanzaa by "concocting bits of lore, lingo and mumbo-jumbo to make Kwanzaa look like something out of Africa" instead of something out of the mind of a felon from LA County.

I am offended that three very different observations are lumped together for the expediency of Political Correctness and given equal status because of the timing of the observations.

If you want to say Merry Christmas to me, then by all means do so, and I will joyfully wish you a Merry Christmas as well. If you wish me a Happy Hanukkah, I will return the seasonal greeting in kind, but if you wish me a Happy Kwanzaa, be prepared for a history lesson!
extremely offensive? really?

Old 12-07-2015, 06:43 PM

3,836 posts, read 1,784,958 times
Just pure foolishness. I'm surprised they allowed her to keep the job after this stunt. People who don't celebrate Christmas should *not* be offended by others whom wish to celebrate and share goodwill with one another. And if someone does find offense with this that's their problem.

Old 12-07-2015, 06:56 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,085,392 times
You know what let her quit, she can go get an apartment with that nut job clerk in Tennessee who would issue marriage licenses to same sex couples. Heaven forbid someone should do their job without their personal feelings getting top billing.

For those who aren't offended, Happy Chanukah, Merry Christmas! May people develop a sense of humor in the coming year..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events