Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 07:29 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times

Advertisements

I now know more people without cable or dish than I know people WITH it.

We're still cable subscribers for now. For now.

I'd love for ESPN to just go away. I'm tired of subsidizing a channel I never watch. If it was only a buck or two a month, fine. But $35-$40? Get the eff out of my wallet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2015, 07:46 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,235,467 times
Cable/satellite companies need to let viewers select a la carte programming. People should be able to select the exact stations they want, instead of only having the option of large packages. If I could select my own, I'd probably have about 20 stations tops. It would no doubt be more expensive per channel, but less expensive than the current ridiculous bill I pay for a bunch of channels I never watch. Doing this would probably enable cable companies to retain some of the customers they're currently losing.

Old 12-07-2015, 07:53 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
I have no use for cable and rarely even watch TV. However, my cat likes to watch it when I'm away and seems to prefer the premium channels, so I'm kinda stuck with it.

Old 12-07-2015, 08:03 AM

15,794 posts, read 20,493,343 times
Cut the cord a while ago.

I used an HDTV antenna for basic channels, news and football, and Netflix and huluplus for tv and movies.

Actual time in front of TV is maybe 3-5 hours per week

Old 12-07-2015, 08:35 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,618,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillinthesouth View Post
Cable/satellite companies need to let viewers select a la carte programming. .
This generally isn't possible because the media companies won't allow it.

For example Disney owns ESPN. They also own A&E, History, H2, Lifetime, ABC, and TV stations in numerous cities. For a cable company to show any of these, they are usually required to carry all of them and in the case of ESPN it used to be required that it be put into every plan the cable company offers.

There are only 6-7 companies that own about 90% of everything on cable. Though these arrangements are secret, it's generally known they all require the cable companies to bundle popular channels with unpopular ones.

Old 12-07-2015, 08:37 AM

9,495 posts, read 9,812,678 times
DirecTV's lowest package does not include ESPN or any other sports channels. Still has a nice selection of channels.

Old 12-07-2015, 08:38 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,618,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
The problem in my area is finding internet service apart from the cable companies. We could do without TV completely, but need the internet for business, school, etc.
Almost all cable companies offer just Internet service as a stand alone service. This is what we get from TWC.

Old 12-07-2015, 08:46 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,919,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Almost all cable companies offer just Internet service as a stand alone service. This is what we get from TWC.
Yes! We have stayed with DirectTV but switched telephone and internet from Centurylink to Suddenlink.

Old 12-07-2015, 08:49 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,037,875 times
The average NBA player makes $5,000,000/per year. And where does that money come from? Your INVOLUNTARY pocket through outrageous prices for cable TV.

Everyone who is not interested in having overpaid useless athletes pick their pockets should go through their cable bill and drop down to tiers that do not contain sports networks, or as few as possible.

I will be cutting all of this out effective January 1st. I will drop down to the lowest tier possible. We pay for these stupid sports contracts through the back door. No more.

Old 12-07-2015, 09:10 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,948,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Hopefully, cable companies will wise up and offer subscribers alternatives so they will only pay for channels they watch. I cut mine off when I realized I was watching maybe 4-5 channels and paying for about 200.
Surely you know that if this becomes pervasive, you'll pay for for few channels no matter what you do.

Instead of paying say $40 for 200 channels, you'll pay $9.95 per channel. Do you really think that subscribing to fewer channels will reduce prices? Not a chance. Perhaps in the beginning a little but after that, knowing which channels you find "essential" and are hooked on, they will also raise the prices just for you since you'll have individual billing.

I stopped using cable a long time ago. You can get by without it quite easily. What will happen though is that the major networks will do what the oil companies do, start maintenance programs, reduce power consumption and thereby reduce the broadcast power and so on.

NBC did it during the last Winter Olympics. There was broadcast right until the games started and then during viewing hours they simply reduced broadcast power or otherwise made sure their broadcast wasn't very good, enough to make watching them worthless.

Right after the games were over, back to normal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events