Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 11:47 PM

2,077 posts, read 2,016,239 times

Advertisements

Man ... MY GOD . That poor kid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2015, 12:45 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Good points. Technically the crab boat guys have the highest death rate but the tree guys are a close second.
It's going to depend on how they are tabulated, I know for the occupation of miner it's actually quite low. It's when they look at the industry as whole and include specific occupations like heavy equipment operator which has a high death rate no matter what industry.

They have logging listed as number one but for fishing it's labeled "Fishers and related fishing workers" so that's open as to what they are including e.g. might be including people in packing plants. See page 19.

http://www.bls.gov/iif/oshwc/cfoi/cfch0013.pdf

While on the topic across all industries surprisingly the older you get the higher the fatality rate. It sky rockets after 65. See page 13.

Old 12-11-2015, 04:34 AM

1,690 posts, read 3,616,148 times
In the video posted by Three Wolves the machine operators all stand off to the side of the chipper, so then I looked up OSHA training videos where it stated that standing off at the side where the controls are operated is safety protocol for woodchippers, meaning the operators are not to be located at the opening of the chipper where tree limbs are placed and fed into the machine.

Old 12-11-2015, 05:33 AM

3,536 posts, read 2,855,614 times
When I worked for the Maine DOT our chipper was always manned by an operator, that could reverse the infeed if anything went wrong. No chipper should be operated without a person with there hands on the reverser.

bill

Old 12-11-2015, 05:33 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,111,606 times
R.I.P.

We've all done stupid things when we were 19, many of which were near fatal when you look back honestly. I know I did. Like the time I called Mike Tyson a pansy. . . .and ran away real quick.

Mick

Old 12-11-2015, 07:29 AM

1,973 posts, read 2,271,528 times
OBVIOUSLY the owner has and is putting profit ahead of worker safety .. IF the remainder of the employees are anything but hill-rods they will be hired by any number of other companies in the area.. If they are just reckless dummkopfs , employment wont be for long..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Ya.... Innocent ppl suffering because others dont care anymore and thats sad!!!

Old 12-11-2015, 10:01 AM

280 posts, read 325,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
I'm sure it depends on the situation. Maybe 10'years ago an experienced guy had the same thing happen to him. He was feeding the chipper and the rest of the crew was doing something else. According to the reports, They came back to the chipper and did not see the guy, then as they walked around back of the truck "it became obvious what had happened". So assume he went all the way though. Man, talk about a horrible feeling.

I assume in this case, the throat of the machine was not sufficient for him to be pulled all the way in.

I read that the crew went to the chipper when they heard it struggling, and the victim actually died from a heart attack. So....you are correct, it clogged. I hope it was fast, and I hope the other people on the job didn't have to see too much. I can't even imagine.

Old 12-11-2015, 11:06 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
The headline is inflammatory. The kid was nineteen and an adult, not some 16 year old school kid.

Old 12-11-2015, 11:08 AM

4,541 posts, read 1,158,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Horrible, imagine witnessing that.
No, I would have lost it.

Old 12-11-2015, 11:33 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,236,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Teen Killed When He was Pulled Into Wood Chipper On First Day of Work - Inside Edition

First day on the job. I wonder how he was trained if at all.

Shame. Was not a slow death.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
The headline is inflammatory. The kid was nineteen and an adult, not some 16 year old school kid.
Mircea - How is the headline inflammatory??? Seems pretty exact to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events