Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 11:45 AM

78,352 posts, read 60,556,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
The new ones are relatively safe but if you are going to stick your foot in the thing bad things are going to happen. If he was kicking something that is the only conclusion I can draw because the only place you would kick something is on the hopper.

Tree work is dangerous, always has been and always will be. There is a reason loggers have the highest fatality rates of any profession, it happens to the best of them.
Good points. Technically the crab boat guys have the highest death rate but the tree guys are a close second. (You have to adjust for jobs that aren't 12 months a year) But the last time I looked was probably 4-5 years ago so perhaps it's shifting.

In the MAJORITY of chipper accidents I've seen in the paper over the years the guy was above it and fell in or got sucked in trying to clear a jam by hand or foot.

My own father almost lost a finger doing that with a running lawnmower once and he is one of the more safety minded people I know....just takes one lapse in judgment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2015, 01:16 PM

3,016 posts, read 3,908,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
OMG, how sad. Another working stiff killed on the job. Poor kid.
This story might be a way for banks to promote or encourage potential students to borrow tens of thousands of dollars to get a degree with the premise of 'Get a degree. . . .Save Your Life.'

Old 12-10-2015, 01:43 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,964,705 times
Human's make mistakes. Next case? Seriously, we aren't getting smarter, we are getting dumber because humans are relying on smartphones/Internet and whatever else they can get their hands on to not think. The end result? Lazy people that can't think. Enjoy the beautiful day!

Old 12-10-2015, 03:13 PM

3,016 posts, read 3,908,800 times
There should be a law that requires at least four hours of training (certified) prior to letting someone operate a wood chipper.

Old 12-10-2015, 03:25 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,481,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydive Outlaw View Post
There should be a law that requires at least four hours of training (certified) prior to letting someone operate a wood chipper.
I think even supermarkets require more than that before allowing anyone to run the meat slicer in the butcher department without supervision.

Old 12-10-2015, 05:30 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,632,989 times
The kid was most likely offered work under the table. He was filling in for one day for someone that couldn't make it in. The odds are most likely any training he would have received would have been audible only and probably direct and to the point at that.

Any suing is going to be like squeezing water from rocks.

Old 12-10-2015, 07:53 PM

1,690 posts, read 3,616,690 times
How does a woodchipper "pull in" things - through a vacuum or what? and how fast does it go?

Old 12-10-2015, 09:40 PM

30,254 posts, read 23,725,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhugeliang1 View Post
How does a woodchipper "pull in" things - through a vacuum or what? and how fast does it go?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKLdD9NwoE4

Old 12-10-2015, 10:06 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,295,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
I hope that family sues the absolute life out of that company.
Well, they can't.

This is an excellent time to discuss worker's compensation and its shortcomings. When it comes to on-the-job injuries all fifty states have replaced the tort system with a workers compensation system. Here's how it works:

1. An injured employee need not prove that his employer was negligent or careless to recover damages.
2. It is sufficient to simply prove that you were injured while on the job in the course and scope of your employment.
3. Lawsuits against the employer are barred by law.
4. The damages that an employee may collect are limited to: medical expense; a percentage of lost wages; and generally a low lump sum award for permanent impairment as determined by a physician (if there is any)
5. An employee may not collect compensation for physical or mental pain and suffering caused by an on-the-job injury.
6. In case of wrongful death, the employees family is entitled to a lump sum award determined by a mathematical formula. The awards tend to be much less than would be awarded in a successful lawsuit for negligence.
7. Attorney fees are quite limited in workers comp cases in many states. I suppose the advantage is that it leaves more money to compensate injured workers. The disadvantage is that many workers cannot hire someone to represent them and competently advise them.

Workers compensation came into existence because it was hard for an injured employee to prove his employer was negligent in many cases. Employers did not want to have to deal with the court system every time an employee was injured on the job. The court system is not fast at resolving injury and wrongful death claims. So, legislatures created the workers compensation system as a compromise.

One shortcoming of workers compensation is that it doesn't place enough of a financial penalty on employers who truly run a dangerous workplace. They are able to simply purchase workers comp insurance and keep running their business in the same slipshod way they did before.

And that is how the system works when an employee is killed or injured on-the-job.

Old 12-10-2015, 11:39 PM

32,927 posts, read 36,335,488 times
A few years ago, or so, my son worked landscape maintenance when he was laid off for a few months. They had him riding mowers, whacking, using a chainsaw and feeding the chipper. He received zero training for any of those things. He told me that after he'd found a day job. He could have been dragged into the chipper.

He also said that only an idiot would get pulled into the chipper. I don't know anything about them; that was his opinion.

I don't necessarily agree. My friend's dad cut off two of his fingers when he was in his 40s and working in a machine shop. Thankfully, he only cut off third and fourth from the last joint of his non-dominant hand. It could have been much worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events