Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 09:50 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Definitely an argument for why right-to-die needs to be enacted, rather than people taking the law into their own hands.
How about trying to treat them instead of just allowing them to kill themselves if it gets too bad?

If they are in THAT much pain everyday, doctors need to be free to give them pain meds that are strong enough to actually work and not be burdened by some goofy drug laws that have absolutely nothing to do with protecting anyones health or safety!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2017, 10:03 AM

4,504 posts, read 3,030,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
How about trying to treat them instead of just allowing them to kill themselves if it gets too bad?

If they are in THAT much pain everyday, doctors need to be free to give them pain meds that are strong enough to actually work and not be burdened by some goofy drug laws that have absolutely nothing to do with protecting anyones health or safety!
Haven't you heard? Insurance companies and the government decide what patients need. Doctors have nothing to do with it.

It's out of control. It's disgusting.

I once knew a fella (now deceased) whose elderly wife was very ill and she was in constant pain. He used to tell me he sometimes thought about shooting her and then himself. I always told him I wouldn't blame him and would certainly support his memory. She eventually died, and he followed about a year later. Both were in terrible pain before their deaths. For them, death was the ultimate release.

This whole notion of continuing to live when the quality and desire is no longer there is just a bunch of hooey. Relatives keep their elderly loved ones alive out of guilt. For God's Sake, let them go. Their lives are over. Give them peace and just Let Them Go! To prolong their misery is unacceptable and inexcusable. It's also unforgiveable. Just Let Them Go, for God's Sake!

Old 11-14-2017, 01:58 PM

2,053 posts, read 1,527,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood55 View Post
Prosecute just like any other murderer. The matter in which he ended her life is a very violent method. It speaks more of hate than love. Having someone that is sick all of the time is no fun for the person who has to take care of them/live with them. It could be the only suffering he truly relieved was his own. Poor old lady. At the mercy of this old guy At the hands of this old guy. Not a place to want to be. There are places to send people like his wife where they could have been helped. If she was terminal, she could have been in a hospice and allowed to die in a better setting. This guy seems a little to holier than thou. He should get the same "compassion," that he prescribed for his wife.

His story does not add up. Bye, bye gramps!
Nowhere in this short article does it say that she wanted to die or asked her husband to put her out of her misery. It said that 'he was tired of her suffering'. We don't know that it was her wish to die now or not.

Nobody in the retirement home heard the shot? The first health worker didn't check to see if the lady was really dead? This whole thing sounds fishy.

Old 11-14-2017, 03:03 PM

4,062 posts, read 5,644,222 times
My DD knows how I feel about utterly unnecessary suffering in the case of terminal illness, so does my DH. They'd better make sure I'm not left in unbearable pain for hours/days at a time or I come back and haunt them. It helps if you've got a doctor in the family.

Old 11-14-2017, 03:08 PM
KCZ

4,669 posts, read 3,663,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Tarabotti View Post
Nowhere in this short article does it say that she wanted to die or asked her husband to put her out of her misery. It said that 'he was tired of her suffering'. We don't know that it was her wish to die now or not.

Nobody in the retirement home heard the shot? The first health worker didn't check to see if the lady was really dead? This whole thing sounds fishy.

There are multiple articles online which say she was 93 years old with a terminal illness, and they had no surviving family members or local friends. If I'm ever in that situation, I hope someone is kind enough to shoot me in the head while I'm asleep.

After considerable googling, I discovered that he was charged with murder but found to be "incapacitated." He is apparently still alive, age 93, presumably in some institutional setting. I bet he wishes someone was kind enough to return the favor.

Old 11-14-2017, 06:26 PM

2,264 posts, read 1,483,680 times
Quote:
Heaven forbid we allow people to chose their fate!

Quote:
You seem to think that every condition has a cure, or at least a magic pill that makes a person feel fine as until they die from it. Real life bears little semblance to that fantasy, even if cost were not an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Tarabotti View Post
Why do some people turn everything into a conspiracy?

This retirement facility - like many of them - features independent living apartments. It's not at all surprising that the shot wasn't heard, or was not identified as a gunshot.

Old 11-14-2017, 06:36 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,389,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
My parents are very religious Catholics. They spent every penny they had trying to keep my grandma alive. My grandma was in a vegetative state for 7 years.

That's why I don't trust my family at all and have written a will. I have also told my fiance, soon to be my husband. If I'm a vegetable, please let me go in peace. I don't want to be a vegetable draining valuable resources for years.
My DH and I just went through this with his father. My Dh has 5 siblings. It was not a pretty scene at the hospital when the family couldn't make up their minds about keeping him on life support when he wasn't going to pull through and be OK anyway. 10 days of nonsense that prolonged my FIL's suffering.

Make sure you have a Living Will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee W. View Post
My DD knows how I feel about utterly unnecessary suffering in the case of terminal illness, so does my DH. They'd better make sure I'm not left in unbearable pain for hours/days at a time or I come back and haunt them. It helps if you've got a doctor in the family.
Get a Living Will and make your wished clear to everyone. Your family will not look after your best interest. Emotions are high and people have a very hard time letting someone go.

This is also interesting to have in place:
https://www.agingwithdignity.org/

Old 11-14-2017, 07:36 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,822,859 times
I remember a couple of years ago, a man in his sixties visited his mom at the nursing home, had dinner with her there, then shot and killed her, then himself.

How sad.

Old 11-20-2017, 05:29 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
My parents elderly neighbor shot himself when he was ready to go. He was 95 and days away from leaving his house and entering a facility. He just decided he didn't want to live under those circumstances. The final years of his life, and the note he left, made it hard for anyone to question his decision. It wasn't even messy according to my dad, who was the one who went in and found the body.

It was disturbing to me that my parents took this in stride and weren't shaken up by it but that's how it is. Since then they have said more than once that they may do something similar someday. I don't know if it's talk or a solid plan but I've mentally accept it in advance, just in case. It's hard for me to imagine it happening while both are alive though.

Old 11-23-2017, 07:42 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,607,365 times
Quote:

They need to be humanely euthanized, period. The same as we do for our pets. It’s stupid to just keep giving pain medication to a person who is suffering and is never going to get better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events