Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 06:51 AM

4,991 posts, read 5,282,508 times

Advertisements

$2000/3=$667 per child

That really isn't that much money when you break it down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2015, 06:55 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,464,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
None of my business if she isn't supported by government handouts
Thats what I am saying, its her money, let her decide how to spend it. Ironically thou the richest people tend to be the cheapest thou, thats probably how they got rich in the first place thou.

Old 12-11-2015, 06:56 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,967,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Her money. Her children. Her right to enjoy a Merry Christmas her way.
Exactly what is so difficult to understand about that?
However, I do find it difficult to understand why she felt the need to tell the world about it on FB!

Old 12-11-2015, 07:03 AM

1,615 posts, read 1,640,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
As others have said, in short, it is HER choice.

However, it is hard for me to think that her kids would truly appreciate many of those gifts on an individual basis. I can, believe it or not, remember MANY of the gifts I received as a child after the age of six or so, but that was because it was a rare Christmas that we received more than three gifts from my parents (and another three or four from relatives). And because most of our gifts were needed and useful gifts (mainly clothes), believe me, I appreciated each and every one of the toys I received except for one time when I received a Cabbage Kids type doll in 1962 when I was nine, the ugliest doll imaginable, before Cabbage Kids were even invented. (What WERE my parents thinking?!)
Have to agree about the Cabbage patch doll but what do little girls know,they all wanted one.!

Old 12-11-2015, 07:08 AM

1,615 posts, read 1,640,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
However, I do find it difficult to understand why she felt the need to tell the world about it on FB!
Because that's what people on FB do. Never joined up as its trivia city . If I want you to know my business about anything I will call or email you directly. Guess mom was doing some of the same and that's what you get on FB, bragging rights along with trivia..

Old 12-11-2015, 07:09 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,108,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
What I find difficult to understand is why your Facebook would be open to people who would treat you like that, unless you are an attention wh*** who has 600 "friends" that they don't even know in real life.

Old 12-11-2015, 07:13 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,638,147 times
300 gifts is a bit much. I don't think it's immoral or even distasteful to have that many gifts so much as its an assault on the senses and an over stimulation. After a certain point (well before the 300th gift), a gift receiver is going to quit enjoying his or her next gift. It's the law of diminishing returns. You like ice cream? I do! I don't like to eat a gallon at a time though. A scoop or two will do.

Old 12-11-2015, 07:18 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,638,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
$2000/3=$667 per child

That really isn't that much money when you break it down.
Right -- there's a subtle class theme running through this article. The mom is most likely working class and is self conscious about how much effort she has to exert for the results she gets. That's why she's showing off .... if you have it, flaunt it! That's what the classes of less fortunate means do. Meanwhile, those who are tut-tutting at how gauche this women is could very well spend twice or three times that amount on their children even though they've only purchased five gifts. (Jewelry and the latest gadgets don't come cheap.)

The sad thing for me is if this woman spent $667 on approximately 100 gifts, the only thing the children will be unwrapping is ticky tacky consumables.

Old 12-11-2015, 07:28 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,464,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
That's not a lot of money? Seriously? I think it's quite generous.
Its all relative to how you grew up and how wealthy you are. I grew up in a military family but I went to a wealthy boarding school where kids drove Porsche and Maserati when they turned 16. It is not up to us to tell people how to spend their money, as long as people earn their money fairly I do not care how they spend it.

Old 12-11-2015, 08:31 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Huh? I know people who spend that much and more on their kids every year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events