Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 09:03 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,170,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
Yup. The terrorists have basically won. We are all constantly living in terror now. This is where a strong leader willing to take drastic action would be nice. It's sad that I find myself envious of the Russians
Feel free to move. No one's stopping you.

And no. Don't include me in that "we".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2015, 09:06 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,838,829 times
I left my third world chaotic country for a better, peaceful life here but I see the same problems creeping in here. I hope people dont oppose their govt wanting to monitor everyone.

NATIONAL SECURITY IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN POLITICAL CORRECTNESS.

I don't mind profiling, lack of privacy & hurt feelings if it saves even one american life. Anyone who doesn't agree should be treated as a traitor. Please save this country by co-operating with your authorities & leaders. Fighting against stricter laws & borders will only make their job much more difficult. Atleast now, please get your priorities straight. Trying to protect yourself & your country doesnt make you a racist or a bigot so stop feeling bad & dont apologize for precautionary measures. Anyone who doesn't align with your rules & culture is free to leave the country.

AMERICA - LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT

Old 12-15-2015, 09:14 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,986,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theluckygal View Post
I don't mind profiling, lack of privacy & hurt feelings if it saves even one american life. Anyone who doesn't agree should be treated as a traitor. Please save this country by co-operating with your authorities & leaders. Fighting against stricter laws & borders will only make their job much more difficult. Atleast now, please get your priorities straight. Trying to protect yourself & your country doesnt make you a racist or a bigot so stop feeling bad & dont apologize for precautionary measures. Anyone who doesn't align with your rules & culture is free to leave the country.

Unfortunately those people I bolded above have their own agendas and use the terror threat to pursue them. I have little respect for many of those currently in power, for me and many others cooperation isn't possible. We're kind of getting off topic for this forum and veering towards politics so I'll leave it at that.

Old 12-15-2015, 09:16 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
That is correct - people should indeed use common sense. And... you're using this to argue against using common sense?

No, people shouldn't be paranoid. Being prudent is useful. Being paranoid isn't. And yet you seem to think paranoia is good...

Racist? Seriously? You're really going to use this as a justification for racism?

Suspicious? The threat mentioned backpacks. Do you not see the folly (that's putting it more politely than it deserves) in being suspicious of backpacks in public schools, where almost every student has one?

And now back to your regularly-scheduled pants-wetting bout of sheer terror...
Wow - I was being facetious. But nice rant.

Old 12-15-2015, 09:24 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,552,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Wow - I was being facetious. But nice rant.
He knows.

Old 12-15-2015, 09:32 AM

14,454 posts, read 20,634,616 times
One e-mail shuts down 900 schools in one county.
What happens if 10 e-mails are sent in 10 major cities every week? Potentially massive problem.

CNBC says the e-mail threat to LA county schools came from overseas.

Old 12-15-2015, 09:32 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,083,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theluckygal View Post
I left my third world chaotic country for a better, peaceful life here but I see the same problems creeping in here. I hope people dont oppose their govt wanting to monitor everyone.

NATIONAL SECURITY IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN POLITICAL CORRECTNESS.

We have a current presidential candidate who would praise you for this post. Unfortunately it seems most Americans hate him. That's not to say I'm a staunch supporter of his, but I do agree with your post.

Anyway, politics blah blah blah.

Last edited by Drake744; 12-15-2015 at 09:43 AM..

Old 12-15-2015, 09:45 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,977,958 times
I know it probably sounds awful, but this just sounds stupid to me. NYC has never even done something like this, not even after 9/11. Now that CA got a taste of terrorism right at home people are totally freaking out. I read a story last night that a San Bernardino college campus was evacuated because of a threat yesterday. Superintendent in LA said the school system gets threats "every day." So this one must have really been different then, but I would like to know how so just out of curiosity to see what would warrant sending every kid home and vetting each parent by asking for their ID to take the kid home. Letting school out in the middle of the day like that is not easy because parents work, so in my experience schools try to avoid it. This must have been exceptionally bad then.

Old 12-15-2015, 09:50 AM

1,194 posts, read 1,099,546 times
UPDATE!!!

Breaking911 ‏@Breaking911 5m5 minutes ago
"Threat Was Made From A Disgruntled Ex-Employee, Possible Link To Islamic Group"

Old 12-15-2015, 09:52 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,986,926 times
I was leaning more towards a local nutjob, terrorists generally don't give warnings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events