Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 02:32 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times

Advertisements

I can't recall if there was a thread on this when it happened last week, but to recap PS 169 in Sunset Park, Brooklyn, recently hired a new principal who decided to ban Santa Claus, the Pledge of Allegiance, and Thanksgiving from the school calendar and activities. Her reasoning was the following: to "be sensitive of the diversity of our families. Not all children celebrate the same holidays." School principal bans Santa, Thanksgiving and Pledge of Allegiance | Fox News

This ban was just overturned by the district, who says "that it works to celebrate the diverse values and traditions of all New Yorkers." Ban on Santa, Thanksgiving and Pledge of Allegiance overturned - Fox 5 NY | WNYW

I'm glad this was overturned and NYC still has some sense. The thing that got me about her reasoning was what about the kids who DO celebrate Thanksgiving (you know, the national federal holiday that is completely secular )? By taking the name away, you are now discriminating against THEM. When you decide to no longer say the Pledge, you are discriminating against those who DO want to say it and now don't have a choice. The better thing to do is tell the children they don't have to participate in the Pledge and can stay seated and silent if they wish while the kids who DO want to say it do so. This is what my district did, and many kids did choose to stay seated. This way, everyone gets their way and no one is forced into doing anything. They can sit out of any school event or party or anything they don't wish to attend for whatever reason, that's also how it was growing up for me. I think this is a better option that outright banning things like national secular holidays and holiday symbols.

Santa Claus I get a bit more, because it is related to Christmas which is a religious holiday, but Christmas has become so commercialized now that Santa represents a guy who gives you gifts in December. He isn't religious, the holiday is. He's just a symbol. And here's what the article says on it: "According to the Department of Education, Santa is considered a secular figure so he is allowed to be at public schools. Other holiday symbols such as Christmas trees, Hanukkah menorahs, and the Islamic star and crescent are also permitted." If these are permitted, I don't see why Santa can't also be permitted. A menorah and the Islamic star are more of a religious symbol than Santa Claus IMO.

So I think this is a win for the people of NYC. I'm glad to see it overturned, because it did cause some local outrage, as evidenced by online comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2015, 02:42 PM

113 posts, read 136,694 times
I agree with you. This annoyed me so much. Thanksgiving and the pledge are American traditions and she was taking them away from children.

I still want to know who is offended.

If she took away this what happens on MLK birthday, Presidents Day, Eid, Chinese New Year, etc?

Old 12-15-2015, 02:48 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,963,335 times
Awesome. I hope that lady feels like an utter toolbag. You cant take away traditions without backlash. And backlash was served to her, cold. Do you want some water with that rejection, sweetheart?

Old 12-15-2015, 02:50 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGirl1002 View Post
I agree with you. This annoyed me so much. Thanksgiving and the pledge are American traditions and she was taking them away from children.

If she took away this what happens on MLK birthday, Presidents Day, Eid, Chinese New Year, etc?
I imagine it was a preemptive action she took on her own more than a reaction to people actually being offended. From articles I've read, many parents thought the ban was stupid and unfair and expressed no issues with the former policies in the school. Then again, these are only handpicked quotes from certain parents, so it's entirely possible many were happy with the ban, but I didn't see them.

I honestly can understand taking away religious holidays or at least diluting them (as long as it's done to ALL) but what really got me was Thanksgiving. That is a federal secular holiday. I don't think any public school has a right to take that away, as long as the government still recognizes it for what it is. You don't celebrate Thanksgiving? Tough. Pull your kid from school for any school celebrations, then. Calling it a "harvest festival" to me is ridiculous. It's Thanksgiving, even the government, which runs your public school, says so. And the Pledge, though it's not required, I think taking it away entirely is unfair to those who DO want to say it. Again, the proper action is to tell the kids they don't have to participate in it, but it will be offered daily. THAT is truly being sensitive to everyone, not outright banning it.

Old 12-15-2015, 02:58 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Yay! Common sense prevails. What a goober that principal is.

Old 12-15-2015, 03:38 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
I'm glad the NYC DOE stepped in to put her back in her place.
Their guidance letter seemed very clear...be inclusive of all groups when doing Christmas holiday stuff.
How that Principal read it as "do away with Christmas and Thanksgiving" is beyond me.

And also glad to see the DOE reinstated the pledge each morning.

Old 12-15-2015, 05:24 PM

2,141 posts, read 1,387,055 times
Thank god that common sense prevailed.

Old 12-15-2015, 05:50 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,102,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGirl1002 View Post

You still don't know who is offended? The people who are offended are: 1) immigrants to this country who refuse to assimilate, and don't like America, and 2) American liberals who think these people will assimilate if we take away our offensive holidays, thus making our country more likable.

And if you still don't know who is offended, I'll give you a hint. It is those who belong to the religion of peace.

Old 12-15-2015, 06:16 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,103,006 times
I know plenty of Jews who have Christmas trees and celebrate Christmas because it has turned into more of an American tradition than a Christian Holiday.

YMMV.

Old 12-15-2015, 06:23 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,572,023 times
related:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGXZJza9gAY

seems like controversy for the sake of controversy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events