Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2015, 01:34 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,087,312 times

Advertisements

[quote=Old Guard;42366178]Maybe in your opinion but that is only an opinion.

Maybe health isn't everyone's number 1 focus?

I remember a saying someone told me once an I always remember it.

"Eating healthy does not make you live longer, it only makes it seem that way".

Some people believe yogurt is good for you an one of the best foods. Cheese is a great way to store protein and fats.

This is your opinion. I assume you have more than a little confirmation bias.

Really? There have been links in this thread of babies dying from being fed a vegan diet and I have seen several high profile vegans admit it.

Such as this one:

My vegan diet almost killed me | New York Post

Or this one:

Alex Jamieson I'm not vegan anymore - Alex Jamieson

I cannot find the girl that was a vegan fanatic, much like yourself, who made a living from it and gave it up but her article was one of the best I have ever read on the subject.

I generally find most vegetarians, such as yourself, to choose it as a fashion choice so that they can preach to others and think they are cool.

I will say I have known some people who did not eat meat that never preached or talked about it. They were cool.

I have been involved in fitness for my entire adult life. I just have never seen the need to give up meat or dairy. I could eat better but I would rather exercise more.

Perhaps some education might help you?

Vegetarian and Vegan Diets | The Physicians Committee

Merry Christmas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2015, 03:09 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,227,052 times
It's gonna be funny one day, all these health nuts laying in a hospital bed dying from nothing.

Old 12-22-2015, 03:51 PM

2,950 posts, read 1,637,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
It's gonna be funny one day, all these health nuts laying in a hospital bed dying from nothing.
Good point.

Every vegetarian I've met has always had a pasty complexion and looks malnourished. It's probably caused by vitamin decencies.

Old 12-22-2015, 05:02 PM

5,162 posts, read 4,488,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Perhaps some education might help you?

Vegetarian and Vegan Diets | The Physicians Committee

Merry Christmas
Who are these people? They sound like they know what they are talking about but I have never heard of them before. You can pay anyone to say anything you want on the Internet.

"Mahatma Gandhi could not sustain a vegan diet. The Dalai Lama could not sustain a vegetarian diet"

Old 12-22-2015, 05:03 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,469,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jburress View Post
Good point.

Every vegetarian I've met has always had a pasty complexion and looks malnourished. It's probably caused by vitamin decencies.
Yes, just because one is on a veg doesn't make them healthy. Lots of junk food veg eaters out there who eat very little in the way of whole foods.

As for the "pasty complexion and looks malnourished", you might want to tell that to these athletes who eat mostly a whole food plant based diet:

Vegan Bodybuilders: The World's Best

Here’s what a 300-pound vegan NFL player eats every day | For The Win

http://www.mensjournal.com/magazine/...e-nfl-20130123

Fueled by vegetables | 9 superstar athletes who don't eat meat | MNN - Mother Nature Network

etc etc etc

Pasty and malnourished, eh? Good one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post

Yes, there's a rumor we all die eventually. That's for making it official though.

For some, it's just about lowering the odds of chronic illness and increasing the odds of quality of life for whatever time we have left.

But please, keep trying guys/gals....the gross misinformation is very entertaining to read.

Old 12-22-2015, 05:08 PM

269 posts, read 178,417 times
Veggie is literally the most anoying word on earth. Everytime I hear someone use that word, I know enough about them to know that we're not going to be friends.

Vegetables people.......they're called ****ing vegetables!

Old 12-22-2015, 05:42 PM

269 posts, read 178,417 times
Also, most people can't pull off a full on vegan diet. My ex-wife was a vegan for several years. At first, she looked and felt great because she lost the 20 lbs she had put on after college, but after a while she just looked drug skinny. She was thin but had no muscle tone. She also eventually got the whole pale skin worn out look that so many vegans have too.

Long story short, she decided to add an egg to her morning smoothies, and she started eating grilled salmon and sushi a few times a week. The result was a tighter mid section, tone arms and a bigger butt. I'm sure the fact that she was doing more weight training was a big factor, but she'll flat out admit that her gym motivation was a direct result of adding animal proteins and fats to her diet.

Old 12-22-2015, 05:51 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,469,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talkinhead View Post
Also, most people can't pull off a full on vegan diet. My ex-wife was a vegan for several years. At first, she looked and felt great because she lost the 20 lbs she had put on after college, but after a while she just looked drug skinny. She was thin but had no muscle tone. She also eventually got the whole pale skin worn out look that so many vegans have too.

Long story short, she decided to add an egg to her morning smoothies, and she started eating grilled salmon and sushi a few times a week. The result was a tighter mid section, tone arms and a bigger butt. I'm sure the fact that she was doing more weight training was a big factor, but she'll flat out admit that her gym motivation was a direct result of adding animal proteins and fats to her diet.
Shorter story shorter, sounds like she should have heeded some of the advice from pro athletes(see a few posts up) who are muscular, perform at a high level in sports, and look vibrant based on eating a large variety of plant based whole foods.

http://www.mensjournal.com/magazine/...e-nfl-20130123

Fueled by vegetables | 9 superstar athletes who don't eat meat | MNN - Mother Nature Network

http://www.bbc.com/news/education-29723384

"Roman gladiators had a diet that was mostly vegetarian, according to an analysis of bones from a cemetery where the arena fighters were buried."

"The bones revealed that the typical food eaten by gladiators was wheat, barley and beans - and this echoed the contemporary term for gladiators as the "barley men"."

"There was little sign of meat or dairy products in the diet of almost all of these professional fighters, who performed in front of Roman audiences."

I'm guessing you wouldn't call them "Drug skinny", "no muscle tone", "pale skin worn out look that so many vegans have too", would you?

I'm all for people making their own choices in life including diet. Honestly, I do. People can't live without meat, cheese, etc.? Go for it. But spreading misinformation on the topic of plant based eating is completely unwarranted. And comes across as grossly uneducated.

Last edited by stevek64; 12-22-2015 at 06:20 PM..

Old 12-22-2015, 06:26 PM

2,950 posts, read 1,637,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
Yes, just because one is on a veg doesn't make them healthy. Lots of junk food veg eaters out there who eat very little in the way of whole foods.

As for the "pasty complexion and looks malnourished", you might want to tell that to these athletes who eat mostly a whole food plant based diet:

Going Vegan in the NFL - MensJournal.com

etc etc etc

Pasty and malnourished, eh? Good one!
That's a great list.

You named 12 great athletes out of several 100 who are veg eaters (let it be noted that quite a few of them became veg eaters after their athletic careers were over) and who no doubt have highly paid nutritionists planning their diet and personal chefs preparing their food in addition to personal trainers.

Any proof that the majority of citizens who work a normal 9-5 job and are vegans/vegetarians without the added benefits pro athletes have are healthier than those that eat an omnivorous diet? Like I originally said, the veg eaters I have personally encountered look pasty and malnourished. Some of the also had bad temperaments.

Old 12-22-2015, 06:30 PM

8,005 posts, read 7,221,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jburress View Post
Good point.

You need to get out more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events