Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 05:47 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,486,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
Not exactly true, old wise one. The two of you were discussing the straw man of sudden worldwide conversion to vegetarianism which was previously introduced as a rhetorical question by a third poster. I doubt either one of you actually thinks that is a possibility but you took it up. We're not advancing the debate by spinning our wheels discussing an impossible what-if scenario. My question of what happens when cows suddenly start eating people has as much relevance as sudden worldwide vegetarianism. Let's please get back to insulting one anothers' life choices.
Whether it advances the debate or not is not your sole discretion. People are have a few varying discussions in this thread.

Quote:
A straw man is a common form of argument and is an informal fallacy based on giving the impression of refuting an opponent's argument, while actually refuting an argument which was not advanced by that opponent.
I stand by the FACT that the poster your accused of using a straw man argument was responding to a specific question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2015, 07:51 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,216,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
Whether it advances the debate or not is not your sole discretion. People are have a few varying discussions in this thread.

I stand by the FACT that the poster your accused of using a straw man argument was responding to a specific question.
I stand by man-eating cows with no fear. They can smell a friend and pose no danger to me. Tread carefully if you climb the fence.

Old 12-31-2015, 07:59 AM

Quote:
I stand by man-eating cows with no fear. They can smell a friend and pose no danger to me. Tread carefully if you climb the fence.
That explains the smell.

Old 12-31-2015, 01:05 PM

8,005 posts, read 7,216,461 times
Quote:
That explains the smell.
Your wisdom enlightens us all, old one.

Old 01-02-2016, 01:35 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
Tell that to the Indians in India where the estimate is that 30%-40% of the 1.25 billion people who live there are vegetarians. And cows roam where they want and are revered. Not suggesting that would happen here on any level but your theory/prediction sounds just a bit sensationalist to say the least.
To shed some light on the reality of your figures above.

Old 01-03-2016, 09:01 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,520,724 times
Quote:
I'll take this one.

If I thought plants could suffer I'd be in trouble. My dietary choices are based on causing the least suffering possible. I can't remove all suffering from my footprint but I can try to reduce my contribution to others suffering. (And, by the way, that includes humans, so, I'm not the nut who puts animals before people)

I do what I can. I fall short but I try.
Commendable. That's all any of us can do and I'm uncertain as to why that seems to raise the ire of others.

Old 01-03-2016, 01:11 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,467,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Not sure what your point is. The "reality" of "my" figures is that they are within the range specified in your document and confirms what I posted above, and that is,.... "The findings show that only 31 per cent of Indians are vegetarians."

"Only" 31% is still greater than the population of the entire US at 387,500,000 people using 31% of the current population estimate of India of 1.25 billion people.

Again, my original post on the topic you responded too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
Tell that to the Indians in India where the estimate is that 30%-40% of the 1.25 billion people who live there are vegetarians. And cows roam where they want and are revered. Not suggesting that would happen here on any level but your theory/prediction sounds just a bit sensationalist to say the least.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Commendable. That's all any of us can do and I'm uncertain as to why that seems to raise the ire of others.
Count me as part of the uncertain too.

Last edited by stevek64; 01-03-2016 at 01:26 PM..

Old 01-03-2016, 08:55 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,257,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
We were not meant to consume cow milk..or any milk for that matter other than as a baby.
Spot on! The we need Cow Milk Delusion needs to be eradicated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcN7...ature=youtu.be

Old 01-04-2016, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Spot on! The we need Cow Milk Delusion needs to be eradicated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcN7...ature=youtu.be
I would argue that cheese itself while not key, was important for civilization.

Old 01-04-2016, 02:33 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,257,368 times
Quote:
I would argue that cheese itself while not key, was important for civilization.
I would love to hear this argument.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events