Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2015, 11:56 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
This thread is full of armchair psychologists. I'm not sure why it's necessary to criticize what people do or do not eat. Frankly, I don't really care what other people choose to put in their mouths, and I wish other people would stop worrying so much about what I put in mine. Nothing diminishes my appetite more than sitting down to a meal with someone who would rather comment on the content of my plate than on being good company.

I spend nearly every holiday meal with an older relative who makes snide remarks about my family's food choices. I wish I could get it through her thick skull that every sideways glance and admonishment is slowly destroying her relationship with her only grandchildren. I wish she understood that these children she loves so dearly dread spending time with her because of the way she behaves. Every friggin' family meal eventually includes some nasty comment about why one isn't eating the meat and another hasn't taken a veg.

Here's my advice. Shut up about the way other people nourish themselves. Seriously. Just mind your own business, and focus on having a pleasant conversation when you share a meal with others.
Excellent post and advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2015, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Well, I don't in real life either. I absolutely loathe people who feel the need to comment on everything on someone's plate. Are you eating that?

But I don't feel bad commenting on a thread on an anonymous internet forum even if all don't agree.
I don't see the need to insult people whether IRL or online. Its not right.

Old 12-20-2015, 12:01 PM

8,005 posts, read 7,217,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
And it goes the other way, too. Keep quiet about others' choices to enjoy the meat we were designed to consume and digest, and enjoy your veggies, and all is fine! Refrain from comments like the ones included in your post above, and you won't be the ugly table companion described in the post you claim to agree with.
I'll repeat what I said in the post you are referring to. "I don't care what you eat." I'd enjoy dinner with you in all likelihood and vice versa. Pork and beans, just on two separate plates. Merry Christmas.

Old 12-20-2015, 12:07 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,467,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
And it goes the other way, too. Keep quiet about others' choices to enjoy the meat we were designed to consume and digest, and enjoy your veggies, and all is fine! Refrain from comments like the ones included in your post above, and you won't be the ugly table companion described in the post you claim to agree with.
But we aren't at a "table". This is called city data where registered users are free to express their views even though you may find it "ugly". Not the place to tell people to "refrain from comments like the ones included in your post above".

Back to the "ugly table companion"....you have a choice to eat/not eat with such a person that is making comments you don't agree with/get you flustered. If you are eating with such critical people/it bothers you so much, again, you have a simple solution at your disposal....don't dine/eat with such people. "Problem" solved! I think that you can also put certain users on "ignore" here on citydata if you find their views "ugly". Personally, my skin isn't so thin to be bothered about it all as you but that's how I approach life. I have friends who call me a "tree root eater" when they are eating what they eat and I'm eating what I eat. I just laugh. When people ask me what I feel are silly questions on what I eat/why do I eat the way I do, sometimes I'll joke and tell them I eat birdseed. And I'll joke right back to people like that and tell people who eat certain things that I hope they have a good cardiologist on their speed dial.

Old 12-20-2015, 12:17 PM

17,341 posts, read 11,274,075 times
I would love to see these same people when they are in their 40s or 50s thinking about how stupid they were during their college years.

Old 12-20-2015, 05:06 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,520,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I don't see the need to insult people whether IRL or online. Its not right.
You've spent some time on this on-line forum. Insults seem to be the most common form of communication in internet forums

That said - insults float both ways from vegans and from meat-eaters, from Democrats and Republicans, from Working Moms and SAHM's, from Parents and the Child Free . . . . .

Old 12-20-2015, 06:25 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I would love to see these same people when they are in their 40s or 50s thinking about how stupid they were during their college years.
the angry vegans??

lots of young ladies are confused, misled, and short-sighted, they want to be well meaning not hurting any animal....
many college age vegans grow out of trying to be a vegan... my niece was one for a few months and had health issues, and started eating meat again and felt better

ive also seen kids of vegans go absolutely nuts when they go to college and indulge in meats/fast foods, all the foods they were shamed about

everything in moderation..

Old 12-20-2015, 10:18 PM

2,054 posts, read 3,341,785 times
It's OK to suggest to people that contributing to the suffering of innocent animals and destroying the earth by "farming" them is NOT OK. Good grief, it's lunacy to advocate for such a thing. If someone want to kill themselves in the bargain, that's fine, more power to them, but stop killing the poor animals. People everywhere should speak out about this, and call out the ones that are creating horrible suffering through their ignorance and greed.

Old 12-20-2015, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
You've spent some time on this on-line forum. Insults seem to be the most common form of communication in internet forums

That said - insults float both ways from vegans and from meat-eaters, from Democrats and Republicans, from Working Moms and SAHM's, from Parents and the Child Free . . . . .
Speaking personally I try very hard not to insult others even when I disagree with them. I'd like the same respect in return.

Old 12-21-2015, 08:32 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post
It's OK to suggest to people that contributing to the suffering of innocent animals and destroying the earth by "farming" them is NOT OK. Good grief, it's lunacy to advocate for such a thing. If someone want to kill themselves in the bargain, that's fine, more power to them, but stop killing the poor animals. People everywhere should speak out about this, and call out the ones that are creating horrible suffering through their ignorance and greed.
No, it is not, not at the dinner table. Your agenda is inappropriate dinner table conversation. I have vegetarian friends and I cook for them if they are coming to a party at my house (see earlier posts) and my late best friend was a vegetarian (health reasons). However, if any of them had decided that it was "OK" for them to harangue (suggest to) other friends or me about diet, either way, mind, they would not have been invited to my house or to eat out with me and anyone else again, because they would have made it clear that they were lacking in the most basic of good manners and that it was, indeed, all about them in their mind and everyone else should emulate them.

That's not OK. Especially when it's based on a lack of knowledge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events