Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2015, 06:58 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,486,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
Another pasty, unhealthy almost-vegetarian.
How's that working out for him?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3w4pjE90ZU
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2015, 10:14 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,467,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talkinhead View Post
You can't compare the diets of different animal species in regards to their size or muscularity because we don't process/metabolize foods the same. A human also can't survive on the same diet as say a cow or lion. We can't break down and process the foods of a grazing animal, and we will eventually surcombe to malnutrition on a strictly carnivorous diet.

Also, you can't compare a human diet to the diet of a gorilla, as their diets consist of mostly vegetation that we can't even properly digest. Gorillas are not closely related to humans in the way that babonos, chimps, or aragutans are. The fact remains that both chimps and babonos can and do eat insects regularily and even other mamals occasionally. Yes, the bulk of their diets are fruit, but chimps do require some animal based proteins for optimal health. Orangutans are almost purely fruit eaters, but they too consume insects to a smaller degree. Another way that aragutans get their profien is by eating dirt.

Not all fats/lipids and proteins are the same. We need a variety of them.

So what does this all mean? We're probably meant to eat mostly fruits and bugs. If you want to eat bugs, more power to you. I'll stick with a nice piece of fish or poultry in moderate amounts.
Early humans were probably meant to eat what they could grab most easily so as not to starve and survive.....seeds, berries, fruit, leaves, etc. and sure, bugs. You're focused on protein quite a bit. It is in abundant supply in plant based food in raw or cooked plant based food for humans. Eating a variety of plant based foods provides all of the essential amino acids to make protein available to the human body. As for Orangutans getting protein from dirt, I never heard of this but perhaps it's like a cat that can "make" vitamin C themselves within their body without eating food with vitamin C like a human has to.

My main point was that many animals, in their own metabolic way, can thrive on a plant based diet just as humans can. And indeed I wouldn't want to graze on plants foods in the wild like a gorilla anymore than I'd want to jump on an animal in the wild and start taking bites out of it/eating it raw. Besides not having the desire to do so unless I was starving, my human teeth aren't made to tear/rip through raw flesh like some animals that are structured to do such a thing in the wild.

On the topic of anatomy and physiology of the human in regards to diet that I think is an interesting read, with references:

The McDougall Newsletter July 2003 - Meat In The Human Diet

Old 12-23-2015, 10:32 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
LOL @ "almost-vegetarian"

Old 12-23-2015, 04:07 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
"McDougall is the co-founder and chairman of Dr. McDougall's Right Foods Inc., which produces food products for grocery stores, and a member of the advisory board of the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine.[6] In 2000, The Press Democrat described McDougall and his wife as operating "a small industry, with several cookbooks, a newsletter, a Web site, vegetarian meal cups sold across the country, and a nationally syndicated TV show."

Did some more research on Dr. McDougall (hard a it was as there were about a million hits from his website pushing his agenda which apparently pays him a tidy sum). Suffice it to say, I would never bet my life (or even a small amount of money) on the validity of what the man has to say.

Besides, PCRM? Really? That's enough to cast doubt on his credibility right there.

Old 12-23-2015, 04:57 PM

8,005 posts, read 7,217,972 times
Page 17 and majority of posts by angry carnivores. Why are meat eaters so interested in this thread?

Old 12-23-2015, 05:25 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,224,212 times
Quote:
Page 17 and majority of posts by angry carnivores. Why are meat eaters so interested in this thread?
I don't think there are any dedicated carnivores in this thread.

Old 12-23-2015, 08:09 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,520,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
Yes, just because one is on a veg doesn't make them healthy. Lots of junk food veg eaters out there who eat very little in the way of whole foods.

As for the "pasty complexion and looks malnourished", you might want to tell that to these athletes who eat mostly a whole food plant based diet:

Vegan Bodybuilders: The World's Best

Here’s what a 300-pound vegan NFL player eats every day | For The Win

Going Vegan in the NFL - MensJournal.com

Fueled by vegetables | 9 superstar athletes who don't eat meat | MNN - Mother Nature Network

etc etc etc

Pasty and malnourished, eh? Good one!

Yes, there's a rumor we all die eventually. That's for making it official though.

For some, it's just about lowering the odds of chronic illness and increasing the odds of quality of life for whatever time we have left.

But please, keep trying guys/gals....the gross misinformation is very entertaining to read.

It's true that there are unhealthy vegans and vegetarians. One of my co-workers exists on pasta; her whole diet is carbs - but she doesn't eat meat. Yeah, she's big. But it's obviously not true that all vegans are 'pasty white".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talkinhead View Post
Veggie is literally the most anoying word on earth. Everytime I hear someone use that word, I know enough about them to know that we're not going to be friends.

Vegetables people.......they're called ****ing vegetables!

Then you have just ruled out every mother of a young child ~ busy encouraging their toddlers to 'eat their veggies'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jburress View Post
That's a great list.

You named 12 great athletes out of several 100 who are veg eaters (let it be noted that quite a few of them became veg eaters after their athletic careers were over) and who no doubt have highly paid nutritionists planning their diet and personal chefs preparing their food in addition to personal trainers.

Any proof that the majority of citizens who work a normal 9-5 job and are vegans/vegetarians without the added benefits pro athletes have are healthier than those that eat an omnivorous diet? Like I originally said, the veg eaters I have personally encountered look pasty and malnourished. Some of the also had bad temperaments.
Your personal observations don't necessarily translate to the rest of the world.

Do you believe that 9 to fivers can't eat healthy diets?

Old 12-24-2015, 07:33 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Quote:
I'm an omnivore.

Old 12-27-2015, 12:17 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,467,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
"McDougall is the co-founder and chairman of Dr. McDougall's Right Foods Inc., which produces food products for grocery stores, and a member of the advisory board of the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine.[6] In 2000, The Press Democrat described McDougall and his wife as operating "a small industry, with several cookbooks, a newsletter, a Web site, vegetarian meal cups sold across the country, and a nationally syndicated TV show."

Did some more research on Dr. McDougall (hard a it was as there were about a million hits from his website pushing his agenda which apparently pays him a tidy sum). Suffice it to say, I would never bet my life (or even a small amount of money) on the validity of what the man has to say.

Besides, PCRM? Really? That's enough to cast doubt on his credibility right there.
yes, I'm aware who Dr. McDougall MD is. Perhaps instead of cutting him down and jumping on the "agenda" bandwagon, it would be more useful to the conversation to comment on the content of the specific article from him in regards to the physiology and anatomy of the human in regards to diet and why he and his sources referenced in the article are incorrect. The article again:

The McDougall Newsletter July 2003 - Meat In The Human Diet

I also noticed you didn't "do some more research" on my earlier posts on published research/studies from the US national library of medicine on their lifestyle/diet guidelines to avoid cancer and the longevity study published in JAMA:

Cancer is a Preventable Disease that Requires Major Lifestyle Changes

"This year, more than 1 million Americans and more than 10 million people worldwide are expected to be diagnosed with cancer, a disease commonly believed to be preventable. Only 5–10% of all cancer cases can be attributed to genetic defects, whereas the remaining 90–95% have their roots in the environment and lifestyle. The lifestyle factors include cigarette smoking, diet (fried foods, red meat), alcohol, sun exposure, environmental pollutants, infections, stress, obesity, and physical inactivity. The evidence indicates that of all cancer-related deaths, almost 25–30% are due to tobacco, as many as 30–35% are linked to diet, about 15–20% are due to infections, and the remaining percentage are due to other factors like radiation, stress, physical activity, environmental pollutants etc. Therefore, cancer prevention requires smoking cessation, increased ingestion of fruits and vegetables, moderate use of alcohol, caloric restriction, exercise, avoidance of direct exposure to sunlight, minimal meat consumption, use of whole grains, use of vaccinations, and regular check-ups. In this review, we present evidence that inflammation is the link between the agents/factors that cause cancer and the agents that prevent it. In addition, we provide evidence that cancer is a preventable disease that requires major lifestyle changes."

Want to Live Longer? Eat a Plant-Based Diet

So we have a large study published in JAMA, a US national library of medicine research publication on the topic and not a word from you on this content.

Interesting.

Quote:
Got me.

Last edited by stevek64; 12-27-2015 at 01:01 AM..

Old 12-27-2015, 09:06 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
here's another study saying a veggie diet/vegan/vegetarian/meatless diet is more harmful than a meat eating diet

Vegetarians Less Healthy Than Meat Eaters, New Study Shows

you would think,,,because vegans have to make such an effort everyday, of so called healthier foods,,they would be less obese, they exercise more, they don't smoke...all huge mortality factors

they should be living to 150 yrs old... particularly when most believe they are cleansed and living a guilt free eating existence

this subject came up on Christmas ..at the dinner table - prime rib was the meal
a couple college age nieces, that claimed to be a vegetarian last yr because it was "trendy" amongst their peers , said things have turned around amongst many of their friends..
meat was shamed to the point it was almost in the realm of not cigarettes,,but marijuana... a guilty pleasure
so, when the kids felt rebellious and didn't want to be in the party scene,,,they would go out for steaks..
and...this is the kicker, my particular nieces didn't buy the high moral road because - as I've asked them to observe,,,do the righteous vegans also believe in "choice" for an abortion ??? that was a resounding YES...so
its ok for them to terminate/kill a fetus,,,but not have a burger... because this is somehow immoral????

also they said many of the vegan girls had other eating disorders..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events