Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2015, 07:27 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,084,005 times

Advertisements

Pro life pro gun pro conservatism.... And in a group you would never see a lifetime vegan

So... The mold doth breaketh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2015, 07:56 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,419,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
But that's not the environmental issue. Sticking to the environment, we know that it takes 100 pounds of grain to produce a pound of beef. If the grain were not being fed to cattle -- who I've recently learned also create a large part of the greenhouse gases we are currently choking on -- they could be fed to humans which would improve their colon health, cholesterol levels and vitamin B levels, among other things.
If everyone stops eating meat, what's going to happen to the animals? Where are they going to go?

Old 12-27-2015, 09:06 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
If everyone stops eating meat, what's going to happen to the animals? Where are they going to go?
Lol, the producers would stop breeding them. The ones leftover can hang out in fields and whatnot till they die naturally or get eaten by natural predators.

I don't think that will be a concern for a while, though.

Old 12-27-2015, 09:22 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,464,005 times
Quote:
What if the Korowai tribe in Papa New Guinea who are cannibals stopped eating people? What's going to happen to the people? Where are they going to go?

Old 12-27-2015, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
What if the Korowai tribe in Papa New Guinea who are cannibals stopped eating people? What's going to happen to the people? Where are they going to go?
I don't believe my question was a stupid one. If a farmer has the animals for profit, why would he keep them if he no longer farms them? Why would he set aside land for them? Where will they be released to?

Old 12-27-2015, 09:50 PM

Quote:
I don't believe my question was a stupid one. If a farmer has the animals for profit, why would he keep them if he no longer farms them? Why would he set aside land for them? Where will they be released to?
I think Mightyqueen801 answered your question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Lol, the producers would stop breeding them. The ones leftover can hang out in fields and whatnot till they die naturally or get eaten by natural predators.

And farmers follow the profit/what they can make a buck on. If there's no demand for product A but more for product B, a farmer will stop or cut back producing A and increase production of product B. Supply and demand rule in the end.

Old 12-27-2015, 09:52 PM

Quote:

And farmers follow the profit/what they can make a buck on. If there's no demand for product A but more for product B, a farmer will stop or cut back producing A and increase production of product B. Supply and demand rule in the end.
I understand that. But what happens to the ones that exist now? Will they just be slaughtered or go off to a zoo or wildlife preserve somewhere? Who gets to decide?

Old 12-27-2015, 10:09 PM

Quote:
I understand that. But what happens to the ones that exist now? Will they just be slaughtered or go off to a zoo or wildlife preserve somewhere? Who gets to decide?
I think that again would come down to what's most profitable for the producer. $/profit rules in the end and this drives the vast majority of decisions made in the world.

Old 12-27-2015, 10:18 PM

2,950 posts, read 1,636,184 times
Quote:
Most likely, they will be allowed to starve to death as it's no longer profitable to care for and feed them.

Old 12-28-2015, 04:58 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,483,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Pro life pro gun pro conservatism.... And in a group you would never see a lifetime vegan

So... The mold doth breaketh
This is the problem, it is as much a fashion choice for you and other vegans as it is about health. You use it to self validate your life. It really is not about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

People are predators.
Quote:
Straw man. Silly, but still straw man.
Quote:

Mightyqueen801 actually did not answer it but let us look at it a different way. What happens to the animals when not only are they not in demand but that they are now just pests? I mean growing crops has not been working out well for animals from slash and burn agriculture in the amazon to the negative effects on the environment of just coffee production.

Despite being able to say "vegan" easily there are no easy real world solutions to the problems we face.

I believe even notmeofficer has mentioned that he compromises. Who makes those decisions? It is always so easy to preach when you give yourself an out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events