U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 08:26 PM

28,218 posts, read 47,632,920 times

Advertisements

Contrary to recent headlines -- and a talk by actor Arnold Schwarzenegger at the United Nations Paris Climate Change Conference -- eating a vegetarian diet could contribute to climate change.

In fact, according to new research from Carnegie Mellon University, following the USDA recommendations to consume more fruits, vegetables, dairy and seafood is more harmful to the environment because those foods have relatively high resource uses and greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions per calorie.

Vegetarian and 'healthy' diets are more harmful to the environment | EurekAlert! Science News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2015, 09:11 PM

7,074 posts, read 4,927,858 times
Well, the answer is easy then.....humans just need to stop eating!

Old 12-15-2015, 10:04 PM

18,678 posts, read 23,269,288 times
Well..that is sure a lot of BS. Since the 70s we have known that red meat, including pork - is bad for you.

Processed meat? Poison.

So, think and do what you wish. But, the evidence has been there - for 40 years.

Old 12-15-2015, 10:22 PM

1,256 posts, read 697,042 times
This seems to be a very simplistic conclusion. Clearly sushi-grade tuna overnight aired from Tokyo to the middle of the US will have a huge carbon imprint. The bluegill I caught near my house - not so much. Out of season fruits a veggies brought from the opposite hemisphere - also huge. But in-season produce grown nearby, probably less so.

Old 12-15-2015, 10:41 PM

28,206 posts, read 20,755,376 times
Humans have been meat eaters forever. Our environmental issues didn't start until the Industrial Revolution. Yeah, eat meat is the problem. @@

Old 12-15-2015, 10:53 PM

5,090 posts, read 9,851,679 times
Whole thing (cannot even call it "research") was just idiotic nonsense.

They mixed Fish in with Veggie, and assumed large use of Dairy.

Made no consideration for Local / Community Garden Models, let alone "Eatable Landscaping."

No "Researcher" could be this moronic as to tie the Title to what was actually studied.

Old 12-16-2015, 09:59 AM

3,744 posts, read 3,420,688 times
I call complete bogus on this research... and made me immediately wonder who funded it... the meat industry?

The carbon foodprint of 5 diets compared | shrinkthatfootprint.com

Go vegan... Ive been one over fifty years... I know I tread more lightly than my meat eating friends just by seat of the pants observations... and certainly by SMELL.. I can easily smell heavy meat eaters... and certainly their waste products.. putrid dead flesh being digested and sitting in the gut can be pretty smelly...

The above article lays it all out pretty well back by research
Not only does it make sense it is better organized

Too many people
Neuter all felons of the dangerous kind

Old 12-16-2015, 02:01 PM

305 posts, read 182,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
I call complete bogus on this research... and made me immediately wonder who funded it... the meat industry?

Go vegan... Ive been one over fifty years... I know I tread more lightly than my meat eating friends just by seat of the pants observations... and certainly by SMELL.. I can easily smell heavy meat eaters... and certainly their waste products.. putrid dead flesh being digested and sitting in the gut can be pretty smelly...

Too many people

I can smell bacon from 5 states away...I love the smell of bacon cooking in the morning.

Old 12-16-2015, 09:52 PM

18,678 posts, read 23,269,288 times
Quote:

Too many people
I agree about the smell of heavy red meat eaters.

I hate pork and bacon the most. Gross.

Also, I feel so sorry for pigs and what we do to them. They are treated the worst of all animals.

Old 12-16-2015, 11:29 PM

28,206 posts, read 20,755,376 times
Quote:

Too many people
Meh. I don't really care if my **** stinks. Its ****. Why should I want it to smell like anything other than what it is?

I was going to make a joke about dirty vegan hippies but I'll refrain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or