Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 07:29 PM

4,899 posts, read 3,552,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
Keep taking all those physical and mind altering drugs you dumb Americans your Doctor who gets a kickback tells you to take and you will be well medicated and happy.OH and don't forget to vote for your dumb bought and paid for politician who represents the drug lobby.they retire super rich
go ahead and judge you're obviously the village expert
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2015, 07:35 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,465,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
go ahead and judge you're obviously the village expert
Though it is an "interesting" world out there Northeastah.

https://projects.propublica.org/docdollars/

https://openpaymentsdata.cms.gov/

Search away.

Old 12-17-2015, 07:36 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,238,832 times
Quote:
yeah I realize that. but not everyone on those meds is suicidal. Some just suffer from panic attacks or OCD issues.

in any case, that woman I know was a mess throughout her pregnancy and went back on them as soon as she delivered. I didn't realize anyone stayed on those meds while pregnant.
You are still left with determining whether the issue is the medication or the condition the medication is prescribed for. Anxiety and depression indicate some level of brain dysfunction in the mom. It may be that genetic factors that produce such dysfunction are linked to genetic factors that produce autism.

Old 12-17-2015, 07:37 PM

10,225 posts, read 6,312,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Depression can be fatal. Depression during pregnancy can get worse afterwards.

Major depression is not just feeling a little bit sad.
Anti-depressants can be fatal, and not just for the person taking them. Did you know that the German pilot who crashed the plane into the Alps was taking Paxil for depression? Fatal to him, and 100 other people.

My daughter was taking that for BiPolar. One night she got so depressed that she took out a knife and was going to slit her wrists. She told me that as she was about to do it, her brain screamed at her WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING? This is supposed to make me feel BETTER, not want to kill myself. She took the entire bottle of pills, flushed them down the toilet, and never went back to the doctor. That was 15 years ago and she has been drug free since; nor tried to commit suicide.

I learned how to cry my eyes out when I felt depressed, she told me. She said she had never done that before but just bottled up her emotions. After a good cry, she said she felt like a different person and was ready to tackle whatever was wrong in her life.

I suppose the medical professionals on here would be horrified that a patient isn't taking their, ANY, medications. The 2015 American standard is that there is a pill for everyone, and everyone must take pills. With all their knowledge, no doctor or nurse can crawl inside another person's skin to know what they themselves are feeling.

Bad, bad, bad for pregnant women, and everyone else. A pill is the solution for everything in life? No, it isn't.

Yes, Suzy, depression can be fatal, and so can the drugs used to "cure" it.

Old 12-17-2015, 07:48 PM

I always thought it would be great if we can have an asterisk next to usernames who earn their living in the medical field. But then again, I've learned it's as clear as day who those people are without disclosing such a thing.

Sunshine and lollipops and.....rainbows....something something something.....Always entertaining here on citydata.....

Old 12-17-2015, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
Though it is an "interesting" world out there Northeastah.

https://projects.propublica.org/docdollars/

https://openpaymentsdata.cms.gov/

Search away.
I can search all I want, but my friend used to end up in the ER every week with chest pains due to panic attacks and hasn't had a single one since going on proper medication and being monitored by her doctor. some people can't cope, they have a chemical imbalance. so keep judging.

Old 12-17-2015, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
You are still left with determining whether the issue is the medication or the condition the medication is prescribed for. Anxiety and depression indicate some level of brain dysfunction in the mom. It may be that genetic factors that produce such dysfunction are linked to genetic factors that produce autism.
I wasn't arguing the autism part of this, at all. I was just surprised anyone took those meds while pregnant.

Old 12-17-2015, 08:02 PM

Quote:
I can search all I want, but my friend used to end up in the ER every week with chest pains due to panic attacks and hasn't had a single one since going on proper medication and being monitored by her doctor. some people can't cope, they have a chemical imbalance. so keep judging.
That's good it worked for her and that she's ok with the +/- of any medication. In the old days, such things were dealt by therapists to get to the underlying issue. In my view, medicine today seems to focus on treating symptoms, not treating the underlying cause.

We are all "judging" in a sense here on citydata, though I call it expressing our opinions, data, and experiences.

No worries/all is good.

Old 12-17-2015, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
That's good it worked for her and that she's ok with the +/- of any medication. In the old days, such things were dealt by therapists to get to the underlying issue. In my view, medicine today seems to focus on treating symptoms, not treating the underlying cause.

We are all "judging" in a sense here on citydata, though I call it expressing our opinions, data, and experiences.

No worries/all is good.
In the old days, people used to kill themselves because they went crazy and had no way of dealing with it. Too bad Van Gogh didn't have access to Prozac. He might have been able to paint many more masterpieces rather than cut off his ear, ending up in an institution and then shot himself in the chest at age 37.

At least people have options now. I know very well about judging on these forums. But when you see the goodness these meds can provide to SOME people, they're aren't evil incarnate.

Old 12-17-2015, 08:14 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,238,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Anti-depressants can be fatal, and not just for the person taking them. Did you know that the German pilot who crashed the plane into the Alps was taking Paxil for depression? Fatal to him, and 100 other people.

My daughter was taking that for BiPolar. One night she got so depressed that she took out a knife and was going to slit her wrists. She told me that as she was about to do it, her brain screamed at her WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING? This is supposed to make me feel BETTER, not want to kill myself. She took the entire bottle of pills, flushed them down the toilet, and never went back to the doctor. That was 15 years ago and she has been drug free since; nor tried to commit suicide.

I learned how to cry my eyes out when I felt depressed, she told me. She said she had never done that before but just bottled up her emotions. After a good cry, she said she felt like a different person and was ready to tackle whatever was wrong in her life.

I suppose the medical professionals on here would be horrified that a patient isn't taking their, ANY, medications. The 2015 American standard is that there is a pill for everyone, and everyone must take pills. With all their knowledge, no doctor or nurse can crawl inside another person's skin to know what they themselves are feeling.

Bad, bad, bad for pregnant women, and everyone else. A pill is the solution for everything in life? No, it isn't.

Yes, Suzy, depression can be fatal, and so can the drugs used to "cure" it.
I can find articles about the pilot that mention several drugs, though none mentioned Paxil. We are still left with the fact that he had uncontrolled depression, which he was hiding from his employer, and depression has a suicide risk. Unfortunately, the circumstances of his death would preclude any way of determining whether he was actually taking the prescribed medications. He also had delusions that there was a problem with his vision, meaning his depression had a psychotic component.

No "medical professionals" would be horrified that there were any people who do not take medications, and there is no "American standard" that everyone must take pills.

For someone who is depressed, pregnant or not, medication can be life saving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events