Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 12:28 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,979,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
A lot of people are not ready for their employers to ask them to leave.
Not to mention that in many other states those bans DO have the force of law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2015, 12:30 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,411,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Not to mention that in many other states those bans DO have the force of law.
In that case I would not carry. But it is tremendously easy to avoid detection with modern pocket guns in an IWB holster.

Surrendering your capacity to defend yourself is ultimately up to you.

Old 12-22-2015, 12:38 PM

28,664 posts, read 18,768,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm1 View Post
In that case I would not carry. But it is tremendously easy to avoid detection with modern pocket guns in an IWB holster.

Surrendering your capacity to defend yourself is ultimately up to you.
"This is not the thread you're looking for."

Old 12-22-2015, 12:41 PM

Quote:
"This is not the thread you're looking for."
It is a thread about response to an active shooter. How is CCW not relevant?

Old 12-22-2015, 01:49 PM

28,664 posts, read 18,768,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm1 View Post
It is a thread about response to an active shooter. How is CCW not relevant?
It's a thread about a specific change in active shooter training, with "arm everyone" not being the change under discussion.

Old 12-22-2015, 03:49 PM

Quote:
It's a thread about a specific change in active shooter training, with "arm everyone" not being the change under discussion.
Could you cite where I mention arming everyone?

Arm yourself, or dont, just dont expect any help.

Old 12-22-2015, 06:08 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,312,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
I could never understand the rational behind laying down and letting someone murder me without a fight.
I'm with you. I'm "just a girl" but spent 9yrs in the Marines and believe I could be effective in critical situations.

BUT the "hiding" theory is to barricade yourself in a safe room. If you're talking one shooter, chances are he won't spend time shooting at or messing around with a door that has furniture piled against it. If you have a lot of people, this isn't a bad option. Better than making yourself a moving target for an automatic weapon. (imo)

Old 12-22-2015, 06:11 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,569,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
This. I wish they would stop propagating this nonsense that someone with a weapon is invincible. Shooting any weapon becomes substantially more difficult with the more distractions that arise, especially with your adrenaline pumping, even for someone that is incredibly well trained. If you have a bunch of people in a room, if only 3 or 4 distract the shooter, do something other than run and cower, you can force the shooter to go from an offensive stance to a defensive one very quickly.

The normal response is to run, panic and hide but in every one of these incidents, the numbers strongly favor those being attacked, if only a few chose to fight back, start attacking the shooter in whatever fashion they could, it could greatly limit the ultimate loss of lives in a situation where there is no place to retreat.

They aren't "Invincible" and no one has claimed they were, but they do command the situation, and some how making up a scenario in your mind where your going to "rush" or "distract" the shooter, and save the day is lunacy. What they are proposing in these classes is, "We won't give you guns, but will show you how to trade lives. The death of a few to save more than a few. Sounds good for a "Movie" or a Hero's Folk Tale, but I know I am not about to trade my life for some one else. Sorry. This would not be a Movie. I would rather just carry a gun, and take my chances shooting back, if there was absolutely no place to go. They could arrest me after the shooting, if I survived.

The fact is, if you rush the shooter, he/she is going to shoot you first. If you throw things at the shooter, he/she will shoot you first. Look at how many the average rampant Shooter kills in a shooting spree. Its more than the 3 or 4 you suggest that should "distract" the shooter. You do know what "Distract" means don't you? Its Politically Correct for "Draw attention and Draw fire." Offensive and Defensive are just words in a Dictionary. They mean nothing in an active shooter scenario. To imply in some way that your life will be saved by making the shooter defend himself against people with no guns, is ludicrous.

Old 12-22-2015, 06:24 PM

Quote:

Its "Fools" training. Only the Movies get away with those type scenarios. They certainly don't train the Police to throw cans at a Criminal or active shooter, or distract him so the rest of them can "Rush" and subdue him. I wonder what kind of idiots are promoting this Training, instead of spending that time on helping Citizens have the tools available, if they choose, to protect themselves.

I put this right in with the "Training" that's Titled, "How to Take Down a Full Grown Mad Grizzly With Your Bare Hands and a Can of Beans."

Old 12-22-2015, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Irrelevant to the thread. This is not a thread about the benefits of being armed, it's about being in a situation where one is not armed.

Yep. A Thread on how to commit Legal "Suicide." Or, Be a Martyr, with no Virgins promised, but maybe a Medal.

Actually, its quite humorous that people are actually considering this type of Training, without fighting for other options, such as an armed Security Guard, where you did not have to be armed. Sounds like something more in the line of what ISIL would teach, where dying for the right cause is OK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events