Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2015, 06:31 PM

2,851 posts, read 2,299,160 times

Advertisements

The cops have to actively engage the perpetrators.

Just like the other CCW holders stated here, even when I am armed, I will flee if I can. My gun is there to protect me or my family in the event we can't run away.

Yes, sure, there's always the possibility that one CCW holder will mistake another for the mass shooter.

Still, it's better than the guarantee that you will be there unarmed waiting for your turn to be executed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2015, 08:07 PM

2,851 posts, read 2,299,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koeken View Post
Just a question that pops my mind: when did it happen that a civilian, carrying a gun, stopped a mass shooting?
I always hear this argument in the pro gun discussion but I wonder: has it ever really occurred that civilians with guns were able to stop or prevent a mass shooting?
I know that someone already gave you examples, but here's one more.

Remember that doctor in PA that shot back at the gunman who just killed his caseworker ?

This was never categorized as a "mass shooting" because only 1 person was killed. I believe it takes 4 deaths to call this a mass shooting per FBI classification.

However this would certainly become a mass shooting had the perpetrator not been neutralized. He had many rounds of ammo on him. He was not just going to stop.

Interestingly, by coming armed to work this doctor had violated the hospital policy.

A question now pops in my mind: how many planned mass shootings were foiled by a good guy with a gun ? We'll never know.

Old 12-23-2015, 09:43 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,321,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
The cops have to actively engage the perpetrators.
Exactly, they do, you don't.

Quote:
ust like the other CCW holders stated here, even when I am armed, I will flee if I can. My gun is there to protect me or my family in the event we can't run away.
So what sees to be the problem with what I've been writing, although I don't limit my defense to me and my family, I would defend anyone if the conditions made it necessary and it was tactically possible.

Quote:
Yes, sure, there's always the possibility that one CCW holder will mistake another for the mass shooter.

Old 12-23-2015, 09:59 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Hm.
So yesterday we were at someone else's house.
They offered my 4 year old goggles so he could participate in a nerf chase (with a 9 year old) and shoot game with nerf revolvers. Let me tell you, these were textbook California liberals. Nice folks.

I said, "We've been working on gun safety and respect, and he's not allowed to shoot anyone. It's too mixed a message right now." (Like I totally get that in a couple of years, he will understand the difference between paint ball and laser tag vs a real weapon. But right now, even his toy weapons are never pointed at a person. Period. We do targets or line up his dinosaurs or whatever. We load them like they are real, as well - just gun respect.)

The people were like, "Gasp!!!! You have guns!! In your house!!??" Swoon.

Ok, douchetards. I'm not the one having my kids run around the street shooting each other willy nilly without even understanding what they're doing.

Old 12-23-2015, 10:11 PM

8,103 posts, read 6,745,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
Assuming he let you go get one. Remember, this guy would be a Cold Blooded Killer, there to kill you and anyone else he could. He isn't an "Observer" that's going to let you grab a Fire Extinguisher of a wall, pull the pin just to see what your intentions are.
Eh, I have ready access to multiple handguns and an AR. My comment was directed at the poor sobs that live in liberal shythole cities around the US.

Old 12-24-2015, 07:28 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
Why not ask how many citizens that do carry, legally or not, have been shot and killed by an active shooter? Don't deal in opinions, deal in facts. Then ask yourself how many citizens that where "NOT" carrying, have been killed by active shooters?

A person carrying a weapon is not obligated to save your life or anyone else's, just because they chose not to have a gun. My first obligation would be to insure I get out alive, if I have no avenue of escape. It isn't as if you automatically must act as "Rambo" because your given a license to carry, or decide to carry without one. It doesn't work that way, just because that's what anti-gun nuts want you to believe. .
None of this has a goddamned thing to do with what I wrote.

Even using your words, armed people haven't made a real good showing in these attacks. And considering the amount of 'good guy with a gun' **** we hear every time this stuff happens, I think its a valid statement to wonder where all these good guys are.

I didn't ask you or anyone else to save me with your Big Bad Gun. Save the dramatics.

Old 12-24-2015, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Hm.
So yesterday we were at someone else's house.
They offered my 4 year old goggles so he could participate in a nerf chase (with a 9 year old) and shoot game with nerf revolvers. Let me tell you, these were textbook California liberals. Nice folks.

I said, "We've been working on gun safety and respect, and he's not allowed to shoot anyone. It's too mixed a message right now." (Like I totally get that in a couple of years, he will understand the difference between paint ball and laser tag vs a real weapon. But right now, even his toy weapons are never pointed at a person. Period. We do targets or line up his dinosaurs or whatever. We load them like they are real, as well - just gun respect.)

The people were like, "Gasp!!!! You have guns!! In your house!!??" Swoon.

Ok, douchetards. I'm not the one having my kids run around the street shooting each other willy nilly without even understanding what they're doing.

Old 12-24-2015, 07:34 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Lol. You don't believe me?

She even said, "Don't tell my husband."

I said, "They are all in safes and the fact we have them is why we are trying to learn respect and safety."

I found the whole situation bizarre. But this is the same lady who bought a 4500 square foot house and then complained that Texas houses are too big.

Hey, lady. There are smaller homes.

Old 12-24-2015, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Lol. You don't believe me?

She even said, "Don't tell my husband."

I said, "They are all in safes and that is why we are trying to learn respect and safety."

I found the whole situation bizarre. But this is the same lady who bought a 4500 square foot house and then complained that Texas houses are too big.

Hey, lady. There are smaller homes.
Oh no I believe you! I just find your vitriol against kids being kids stunning. Its like saying smashing matchbox cars into each other is going to make kids think its okay to ram someone on the highway. Kids aren't that stupid.

Old 12-24-2015, 08:04 AM

2,851 posts, read 3,473,399 times
Read more, post less.

Cops shoot the wrong person an average of 3x more then CCW holders. They also hit less often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events