Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 07:51 AM

983 posts, read 994,713 times

Advertisements

I always worried about shootings when I went bak to school. Once, someone told me a kid made comments about a gun. I started running scenarios about what I'd do in a shooting situation.

One thing I thought of if I heard shots fired down the hall is grab a heavy duty three hole punch, stand to the side, wait for the shooter to open the door, then bring the three hole punch down HARD over his head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2015, 07:53 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,603,285 times
I would guess that a few people screaming like banshees while charging and throwing object will throw most of these shooters into panic and even cause them to retreat. The problem is that charging a person with a gun goes against most people's nature.

Since I've never, thank God, been in such a situation, I couldn't say for sure what I'd do if I were at work and unarmed.

Because there is a good chance I'm armed outside of work with my family, the odds are that I'd be in a high kneel stance behind whatever cover was close by waiting for a clear and certain shot as a processed the situation.

Old 12-21-2015, 07:56 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,603,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartWA View Post
I always worried about shootings when I went bak to school. Once, someone told me a kid made comments about a gun. I started running scenarios about what I'd do in a shooting situation.

One thing I thought of if I heard shots fired down the hall is grab a heavy duty three hole punch, stand to the side, wait for the shooter to open the door, then bring the three hole punch down HARD over his head.
That is kind of the approach my daughter took at our home when she was confronted by an active shooter.

My 7-year-old son shot her (9-years-old) with his nerf bow and arrow. She took the bow from him and proceeded to slam it over his head breaking the bow in half (and those things are somewhat stout). The shooter was neutralized and in tears.

Old 12-21-2015, 08:17 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,263,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
I could never understand the rational behind laying down and letting someone murder me without a fight.
How are you gonna fight? Don’t think they are also allowing you to carry to work. So they say fight but won’t say with what.

Old 12-21-2015, 08:22 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,263,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
The best thing to do if you don't have a gun is to throw things at the shooter. The room in San Bernardino was full of chairs that could have been thrown at the shooter.
Be serious now. You’ll never get that chance. There were 300 people in that concert hall in Paris. They couldn’t do a damn thing. Besides, have you tried to lift an office chair lately, let alone throw it 15 feet?

Old 12-21-2015, 09:04 AM

28,664 posts, read 18,771,597 times
This kind of training does a couple of important things, one of which is to inculcate into people that a man with a gun is not a superman. Teaching a morbid fear of guns or a man with a gun is shown now to be counterproductive to living through an active shooter situation.

Old 12-21-2015, 09:06 AM

10,352 posts, read 7,980,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
There were 300 people in that concert hall in Paris. They couldn’t do a damn thing.
Nonsense. They could have overwhelmed the shooters IF they'd been able to fight their (perfectly understandable) instinct to freeze in fear. But it's hard for untrained people who've never imagined themselves in an active shooter scenario to do that.

Old 12-21-2015, 09:08 AM

28,664 posts, read 18,771,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Be serious now. You’ll never get that chance. There were 300 people in that concert hall in Paris. They couldn’t do a damn thing. Besides, have you tried to lift an office chair lately, let alone throw it 15 feet?
You don't actually know if there will never be a chance. Most cases are not "that concert hall in Paris."

There is a concept called OODA--observe, orient, decide, and act--which indicates that if you screw up an antagonist's expected game plan (particularly an antagonist who has not been trained extensively in anything more than that expected game plan), you can in fact disorient him enough to prevail.

Adolescents, in particular, are easily disoriented by the unexpected.

Old 12-21-2015, 09:49 AM

25,559 posts, read 17,267,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Not if they are able to seriously injure the shooter, which is the goal of throwing objects.
You would be amazed at the damage that can be inflicted by an unopened coke can thrown by a terrified person 15 feet away.

And don't forget the guys who took down the train shooter in Europe. They were unarmed.

Old 12-21-2015, 09:54 AM

17,148 posts, read 15,357,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
I could never understand the rational behind laying down and letting someone murder me without a fight.
Which is why I don't quite get the whole ISIS beheadings and crap.

Why would one just calmly kneel down and patiently wait for a man to slice my head off? Why not fight, and potentially get shot instead? Much less painful.
Same with the Jordanian pilot. Why walk to his own demise?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events