Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2015, 01:55 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,856,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Wikipedia can be a very vaild reference on some topics (as it happens to be on this one). of course, I also provided two other links which are NOT Wikipedia links, and which support the Wikepedia article and my argument.

But since you're so allergic to Wikipedia, try this one instead: Christianity Statistics - General Facts and Stats
Ok, thank you. Protestants have declined from 53% to 48% in USA I will accept that. Since this is a USA event Im not interested in the global make up. Now what Im more interested in is proof the religious majority honors/celebrates Saint Nicholas and is a key figure in their faith, religion and holidays. Because this has not been my experience, but then again I have always lived in a Protestant majority area.

Old 12-22-2015, 01:55 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep It Simple View Post
If you are in a predominantly black neighborhood school and they are celebrating Kwanza and is not making my child attend....HAVE AT IT....I get that you go with the flow, know your place in your environment. Not all public schools are created equal, no matter how much you want to believe they are
"know your place"?????

Old 12-22-2015, 01:57 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
So let's be straight, you seem to flip flop....is it about using public funds or not? Is the public funds your argument or just what you perceive the religious aspect?
Why does it have to be one issue OR the other? Both issues can be valid.

Old 12-22-2015, 01:57 PM

2,851 posts, read 2,301,870 times
Quote:
So let's be straight, you seem to flip flop....is it about using public funds or not? Is the public funds your argument or just what you perceive the religious aspect?
I am consistent, it's just that you seem to be either unable or unwilling to understand a simple Constitutional concept - a Government institution should not be sponsoring religion. Sports are not religion.

Old 12-22-2015, 01:59 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
Quote:
If you are in a predominantly black neighborhood school and they are celebrating Kwanza and is not making my child attend....HAVE AT IT....I get that you go with the flow, know your place in your environment. Not all public schools are created equal, no matter how much you want to believe they are
Kwanzaa is a cultural event, not a religious one. So no Constitutional issue.

But to use that as the equivalent, would you really be ok with keeping your child out of school for multiple days due to events leading up to a Kwanzaa field trip? Per the original article and the one linked within it, the classroom in question had multiple days of writing to Santa, dressing up like reindeer, and other Christmas focused activities throughout the month.

Old 12-22-2015, 02:00 PM

1,069 posts, read 712,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Perhaps you could start your own thread if it's so important to you.
Santa is important to people, especially MOST kindergartners in the USA....HE NEEDS TO STAY!!!!

Old 12-22-2015, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Why does it have to be one issue OR the other? Both issues can be valid.
Only one of them is expressly forbidden by Constitution, and for a good reason.

Use of public funds to sponsor sport teams may not be the best idea, but it's not the same as a government institution (school) pushing one religion.

As I said, not that long ago even some Christian groups were made to feel excluded. People really have short memories.

Old 12-22-2015, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Santa is important to people, especially MOST kindergartners in the USA....HE NEEDS TO STAY!!!!
Nobody says he needs to go. Just don't make it a school sponsored event.

Old 12-22-2015, 02:02 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
Quote:
yes, that's what this thread is about - doing completely away with Santa.

Old 12-22-2015, 02:03 PM

1,069 posts, read 712,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Kwanzaa is a cultural event, not a religious one. So no Constitutional issue.

But to use that as the equivalent, would you really be ok with keeping your child out of school for multiple days due to events leading up to a Kwanzaa field trip? Per the original article and the one linked within it, the classroom in question had multiple days of writing to Santa, dressing up like reindeer, and other Christmas focused activities throughout the month.
WRONG....BACK UP....in the Santa example, it was a single day field trip....so let's use the apples to apples comparison....if I chose to live in a predominantly black neighborhood and if they were planning a Kwanza Field trip for a day and I didn't want my child to go....I would absolutely have no issue of keeping my child home for the day. As opposed to raising a stink and making the school cancel the trip

Last edited by Keep It Simple; 12-22-2015 at 02:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events