Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 10:28 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,152,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Further View Post
Not to stray too far off topic, I feel compelled to point out the double standard that is prevalent in this country. A high school Christmas assembly in Blaine MN. had the students singing songs in Arabic praising Allah. Thats right...you read this correctly. So, a tradition for kids to see Santa gets shelved, while in another part of the country kids get brain washed into how wonderful Allah is. Let's make America great again....
I'm good with Arabic songs and Santa Claus.

Old 12-21-2015, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
I'm with the Jewish mom on this. Why should her or our taxes fund such activities? Oh and by the way kids, Santa is a fictional character.
I'm really tired of listening to these whiners and their "War on Christmas" BS.
I'm really tired of listening whiners who can't understand how much damage they do to the concept of church and state with this bull****.

Learning about Santa Claus, Allah, Buddha or whoever isn't going to kill, hurt or abuse your child. Get over our differences and learn to embrace them. Our world would be much better off if adults would CTFO with this crap.

Old 12-21-2015, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Parents should be taking their own children to see Santa anyway. It's really weird to me how many parents expect the school to do their parenting for them. Now the snowflakes are ditching school because Santa is more important. Great parenting!

In that vein, parents should be educating their own children on balancing checkbooks, cooking, theater, sports, etc.

Old 12-21-2015, 10:35 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,010,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Santa doesn't represent ANY religion.

They weren't going to a church to see a nativity layout here..it was Santa at the mall with their Dear Santa letters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I'm really tired of listening whiners who can't understand how much damage they do to the concept of church and state with this bull****.

Learning about Santa Claus, Allah, Buddha or whoever isn't going to kill, hurt or abuse your child. Get over our differences and learn to embrace them. Our world would be much better off if adults would CTFO with this crap.
Nothing wrong with learning about various religions in school, as long as there is some degree of even handedness about it. However, learning about something is not the same thing as taking time off school and spending tax payer money to go on a field trip to something that is linked solely to one religion as the exclusive activity of that field trip. I'm guessing they didn't also stop by a Jewish synagogue and an Islamic mosque on their way to visit Santa.

And my Jewish child doesn't write Dear Santa letters because we do not observe Christmas or believe in Santa Claus. Why should that become part of a public school curriculum??

Old 12-21-2015, 10:36 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,010,539 times
Quote:

In that vein, parents should be educating their own children on balancing checkbooks, cooking, theater, sports, etc.
When you explain to me how those things are linked to promoting one specific religion, perhaps I'll understand the point you are trying to make.

Old 12-21-2015, 10:36 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,627,693 times
Quote:

Fine teach you kids all that stuff yourself. Not everything is the responsibility of the school. Schools have enough to do without taking days off to do things parents should be doing themselves.

Old 12-21-2015, 10:38 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,627,693 times
Quote:

Talking to Santa is not a skill needed by adults.

Nor does it promote the arts or fitness. It is literally the least educational field trip I have ever heard of.

Old 12-21-2015, 10:39 AM

7,964 posts, read 7,299,534 times
Gee, when I was in elementary school, Santa (rather, a PTA volunteer dressed up like him) came to our school at Christmas assembly to see us, we didn't have to arrange a field trip to go see him.

Old 12-21-2015, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Nothing wrong with learning about various religions in school, as long as there is some degree of even handedness about it. However, learning about something is not the same thing as taking time off school and spending tax payer money to go on a field trip to something that is linked solely to one religion as the exclusive activity of that field trip. I'm guessing they didn't also stop by a Jewish synagogue and an Islamic mosque on their way to visit Santa.

And my Jewish child doesn't write Dear Santa letters because we do not observe Christmas or believe in Santa Claus. Why should that become part of a public school curriculum??
I really wouldn't give a **** if my kids were taken on a field trip to a house of worship. Many of them are architectural wonders steeped in history and I think its a good thing to learn about other people's religions and cultures.

Part of the school curriculum or a field trip?

My kids go to the Farmers Market in the spring with their school. Its not part of the school currciulum. Its a fun day out with their friends. THE HORROR!!!!

Old 12-21-2015, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
When you explain to me how those things are linked to promoting one specific religion, perhaps I'll understand the point you are trying to make.
Why does it have to be tied to religion?

Parents can teach their children many things that schools do, most everything really.

Besides the fact that a trip to see Santa does not a religious education make.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events