Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2015, 09:17 AM

36,505 posts, read 30,847,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
That is based on nothing but that one person's assumption though, there is no fact-based reason to think she is lying. I'm sure if it was a lie, other parents in the class would have said so, especially if they actually are mad about the trip being cancelled.
There aren't any facts stating just how much time was spent or exactly what christmas activities were held. One parent was quoted saying a person came to talk about Jewish religious tradition (that probably took up one whole day ). The article also said the class had a party where 8 cultures, I assume religious celebrations, were discussed (That must have taken a entire day also ).

She was quoted: “We can’t spend five days on just one culture. That’s fostering intolerance. When Christmas is given the same time, or less time, than American holidays, like Veterans Day, then kids don’t feel as American.”

Perhaps the parents really were not focused on her saying we cant spend 5 days.....or insinuating Christmas is not an American holiday. From the article is seems the other parents were upset at the school board due to the way this whole thing was handled and that they were not included in any decisions regarding a 10 year tradition but it was just abruptly canceled due to one person objection.

Old 12-29-2015, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
The kids are being asked to do something that is "against their religion". I've heard that's a good excuse for just about anything in the Bible Belt!
Kid. One kid was included in something that may or may not be against the one kids religion. Several Jewish people have posted that they included secular Christmas traditions in their own celebrations, so IDK if it is against the Jewish religion to write letters to Santa.

I still dont know what writing a letter to santa has to do with praying or abstaining from meat on Lent.

Old 12-29-2015, 09:27 AM

2,851 posts, read 2,300,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Perhaps not. I live in the bible belt where the second question is what church do you go to. I have never heard anyone, child or adult, tell someone they were going to hell or being made fun of or shunned for not being a Christian. The only people "in your face" about accepting Jesus are fundamentalists, which thankfully are few and far between.
When I was a kid, I heard this more than several times from the "regular" Christian kids. This was back in the 70s. I wouldn't call them "fundamentalist".

My kids went to a public school with a large Chaldean Catholic population, again I don't know if I would call them "fundamentalist". But they heard the same thing from these children. Not as often as I did though, and generally they got along just fine. But it was nevertheless a hurtful experience for our children. We ended up pulling them out of public school and putting them into a private school, but this had more to do with the drop in the quality of education once the district became "schools of choice" and a large number of inner city kids were moved to their school.

Old 12-29-2015, 10:06 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Kid. One kid was included in something that may or may not be against the one kids religion. Several Jewish people have posted that they included secular Christmas traditions in their own celebrations, so IDK if it is against the Jewish religion to write letters to Santa.

I still dont know what writing a letter to santa has to do with praying or abstaining from meat on Lent.
So freaking what? That one kid is a public school student. You don't know that it wasn't against the religions of some other kids or not. The mom said there were some Muslim and Hindu kids in the class as well.

If you don't get what I was saying, I can't help you. One last time-the child was being asked to do something against her religion! I don't know why you can't understand that!!

Old 12-29-2015, 10:21 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Geez. If someone tells you they spent the whole week listening to Christmas carols or playing the Dreidel game they literally mean they did nothing else.
She didn't say every hour, she listed off the activities which were daily activities centered around Christmas. Considering half the school's parents are mad at her, wouldn't you think they'd be the first ones to call her a liar if she was lying? They know what happened, their kids were in the class, too.

Old 12-29-2015, 11:04 AM

[quote=Katarina Witt;42436247]
Quote:
So freaking what? That one kid is a public school student.
You said kids were asked to do something against their religion. One kids mom didnt want her kid writing letters to Santa or seeing Santa. She didnt say it was against her religion. Her complaint was inclusion. She wanted more cultures included.

Quote:
You don't know that it wasn't against the religions of some other kids or not. The mom said there were some Muslim and Hindu kids in the class as well.
And neither do you. She is the only one who complained.

Quote:
If you don't get what I was saying, I can't help you. One last time-the child was being asked to do something against her religion! I don't know why you can't understand that!!
Because it was never said that one kid was asking to do something against her religion. Show me where writing a letter to Santa is forbidden in Judaism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
She didn't say every hour, she listed off the activities which were daily activities centered around Christmas. Considering half the school's parents are mad at her, wouldn't you think they'd be the first ones to call her a liar if she was lying? They know what happened, their kids were in the class, too.
She said: “We can’t spend five days on just one culture. That’s fostering intolerance. When Christmas is given the same time, or less time, than American holidays, like Veterans Day, then kids don’t feel as American.”

Old 12-29-2015, 11:07 AM

1,290 posts, read 1,343,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
I'm with the Jewish mom on this. Why should her or our taxes fund such activities? Oh and by the way kids, Santa is a fictional character.
I'm really tired of listening to these whiners and their "War on Christmas" BS.
Not sure if this is the case in this school, but in our area, your taxes wouldn't have paid a damn dime towards this trip. It would have been funded by the PTA, with possibly a small amount from each kid.

Old 12-29-2015, 11:13 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times
Quote:
Perhaps not. I live in the bible belt where the second question is what church do you go to. I have never heard anyone, child or adult, tell someone they were going to hell or being made fun of or shunned for not being a Christian. The only people "in your face" about accepting Jesus are fundamentalists, which thankfully are few and far between.
Just ask one of your Jewish friends, they can share their personal experiences on this. Except, oh yeah, you don't have any Jewish friends. Your lack of experience with this phenomena is zero proof that it doesn't happen. It has happened to me and to family members and to many, many people I know.

Old 12-29-2015, 11:19 AM

1,290 posts, read 1,343,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
How many times do I have to repeat this. CHRISTmas is a religious holiday. Santa, while not religious in nature, is associated with this specific religious holiday. It's not some random thing, it's part of Christmas. Forcing people who do not observe Christmas to participate or be excluded from a PUBLIC school activity is discrimination.

It's heartbreaking to me that my fellow American citizens feel this way and have so little knowledge, and more importantly, understanding of the history of our country and why it was founded.
What's amazing is all the people screaming about Christmas being a religious holiday, and separation of church and state... yet in this country, Christmas is a FEDERAL HOLIDAY. 99 percent of business is shut down on that day. Funny

Old 12-29-2015, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Just ask one of your Jewish friends, they can share their personal experiences on this. Except, oh yeah, you don't have any Jewish friends. Your lack of experience with this phenomena is zero proof that it doesn't happen. It has happened to me and to family members and to many, many people I know.
Phenomena? What exactly are you talking about. Having every Christian tell you your going to hell because you dont believe in Jesus? Or being the odd man out because you live in a community where you are the minority culture? Being made fun of? Being exposed to other cultures?
When did I say those things dont or havent happened to people?
Just because I dont live in a area where there are Jewish families dosent mean I have never experienced adversity, if that is what you are talking about. At this point, Im not sure what your talking about.
I really dont know why you are trying to shame me because I didnt grow up in a Jewish neighborhood either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events