Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 01:44 PM

41 posts, read 38,557 times

Advertisements

Harvey should not be allowed to host any beauty pageants ever again. He's a fool. In his Twitter apology not only did he spelled Colombia as Columbia but also Philippines as Phillipians. He's a complete idiot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2015, 01:50 PM

9,820 posts, read 11,536,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post

That's tame to what some of the disgusting things said to and about Harvey on Twitter from furious South Americans.
You mean these same south Americans that try and look European as possible as to hide their Indian and African heritage
Somebody as dark Steve wouldn't host any Shows in Colombia.
As for Steve Harvey, he's a funny dude, he has a pretty good talk show, he'll bounce back.
I'm really surprised no one has blamed Obama for this yet

Old 12-22-2015, 01:52 PM

4,991 posts, read 5,282,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny0881 View Post
Harvey should not be allowed to host any beauty pageants ever again. He's a fool. In his Twitter apology not only did he spelled Colombia as Columbia but also Philippines as Phillipians. He's a complete idiot.
I actually don't fault him for that either. I'm sure he was trying to get an apology out as fast as could. He knew he screwed up and was trying to accept blame. Personally, I wouldn't have caught the "Columbia" misspelling either. I had to use spellcheck to write out "Philippines".

Old 12-22-2015, 02:53 PM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Its not totally his fault, the note said "first runner up." But there's no such thing. You have first place, runner up, then third thro X.
There's no such thing as a second "runner up" or third "runner up" - that's an invention of a grammatically challenged writers. They should be fired too. It should simply have said "runner up"
the card he had to read from could have been a lot better, but some of what you said is incorrect.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/how-b...se-eric-thomas

Old 12-22-2015, 04:58 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,274,944 times
I don't see how he could have made the mistake that he did.

I wish he had caught himself before Ms. Colombia was crowned and walked down the runway.

How mortifying for all involved.

Steve Harvey is the class clown who never grew up.

Old 12-22-2015, 06:05 PM

1,672 posts, read 1,249,381 times
I'm not really a fan of Steve Harvey, but he's an entertaining host who's breathed life into TV broadcasts that most people would otherwise ignore. You can guarantee that Miss Universe would hardly register a blip on social and international media if he wasn't hosting. I think the pageant is aware of that as well, since he's welcome to host the show next year if he wants.
Steve Harvey Welcome Back as Miss Universe Host 2016 | TVLine

Old 12-22-2015, 09:22 PM

2,015 posts, read 1,647,276 times
they are all pretty much the same anyway!!

Old 12-23-2015, 12:08 AM

2,945 posts, read 4,989,217 times
I finally figured out how he got it wrong.

I usually watch pageants because it's entertainment and I like seeing if I can "guess" right. I'm usually right when it comes to the Miss USA pageant.

The host almost ALWAYS announces the winner when it's down to the 1st runner up and the winner.

Like this:

2 women holding hands onstage.
Host: Okay ladies, the moment is here of you is about to become Miss Whatever 20-whatever. If for any reason Miss Whatever cannot fulfill her duties the first runner up will take er place.

Miss Whatever 2015 is......

and the always announce the winner. They don't announce and call the 1st runner up because it's a given. IMO logic says you go in order. 2nd, 1st then winner. But it goes 2nd, winner then in all the applause tey say the 2st runner ups name to make it official.

I think Steve remembered. He went with logic and said 2nd then his mind automatically went to announce 1st looking at Colombia's name but then he remember it's the winner that's called and he called her Miss Universe.

The card says one thing but that's not how they say it.

The card should read

2nd runner up USA
Miss Universe is Philippines
1st runner up Colombia

Because THAT is how it's announced.

YouTube Miss Universe crowning moments.

Old 12-23-2015, 12:18 AM

2,945 posts, read 4,989,217 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwmSiX69Q28

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEH4Wl2Y7-8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RU1Njrmix0o

3 years in a row of them calling the winner first then just mentioning the 2st runner up during the hoopla. Logic says you call it in order, that's how the average person who doesn't watch thinks becasue it makes sense right?

But that's not how it's done. 2nd, then winner then 1st.

Old 12-23-2015, 05:36 AM

50,702 posts, read 36,411,320 times
They already said they'd have him back as host again next year. I am happy for him, this is nothing but a human mistake, we all make them, we're just lucky enough not to make them in front of millions of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events