Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2015, 03:51 PM

19,822 posts, read 12,086,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nema98 View Post
"Santa" probably does not know how to deal with special needs children or maybe is an idiot and is disgusted by them. It could be anything.
Wow. This Santa was cradling the baby safely and did not look disgusted. Why would you make such an awful and unwarranted comment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2015, 03:52 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,930,296 times
My understanding of this incident (from another article and news story) is that the parents were offended because Santa did not want to hold or even touch the baby at all. The implication seems to be that this Santa stood up, held the baby and had the picture taken as quickly as possible so he didn't have to deal with the baby.

The parents were trying to have a "normal" experience that all other parents have. Even though their baby is sick, this is one time the baby (and parents) could have been like every other parent and baby at Christmas time. Even if it only lasted a few moments, it would have been a moment captured on paper for a lifetime.

Given what they've been through, I just don't think it's asking too much of Santa to sit down and hold the baby and take a freaking picture. Probably take less than 5 minutes.

Are the parents overreacting? Maybe. Given with what they're dealing with, I'm more inclined to sympathize with them than Santa.

Merry Christmas.

Old 12-23-2015, 03:54 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,436,414 times
What exactly does outrage feel like. I'm not sure I've ever been in such a state. I've been annoyed and I've been upset, but outraged? Sounds so drastic.

Old 12-23-2015, 04:26 PM

335 posts, read 324,814 times
Based on what I read so far, the mother would have much better off spending her energy to kindly ask Santa to sit, assure him no harm will come and assist the child onto his lap. I don't know about you guys, I do all I can to help a mother with a physically challenged child in public. Come to think of it, maybe the mother is the one who is "challenged"?

Old 12-23-2015, 04:40 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,641,738 times
As a parent, I'd say the mother should just be grateful that the child didn't start screaming and crying while being held by a strange looking person! haha

Old 12-23-2015, 04:47 PM

19,220 posts, read 17,075,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nema98 View Post
"Santa" probably does not know how to deal with special needs children or maybe is an idiot and is disgusted by them. It could be anything.
The only thing more ridicules than the parents position is your statement above. Did the parents think to maybe speak with the staff at Bass Pro, explain what is going on and ask if they could accommodate them? This is a free feature and they strive to be family friendly.

Everyone including yourself assume that everyone is just happy & immune to deal with children who have challenges. This is no fault of the child and it is a shame that they have to go through this but why do you assume the person playing Santa is comfortable? Maybe he's not but to call him an idiot is just a reflection on you...

Old 12-23-2015, 05:08 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,684,576 times
This dude is getting paid like $12 an hour, asking him to be an expert in handling kids with serious medical issues is a bit much. It seems like he did the best he could and the parents are being overly sensitive, especially considering that this was for a free photo.

"When they pay, they say" and "you get what you pay for" couldn't be more appropriate. You can hire a guy in a Santa suit to take as many photos as you like, however you want and specify certain requirements, in this case you shouldn't expect some random store Santa to know how to handle your special needs child just out of the blue, especially after he just watched you disconnect the baby's breathing apparatus. I'd try to get through it as fast as possible too.

Last edited by Juram; 12-23-2015 at 05:17 PM..

Old 12-23-2015, 05:20 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,684,576 times
The Santa dude's side of the story.

Quote:
This photograph has gone viral on Facebook and on television. This child was brought to me stapped in a wheelchair and on a ventilator. I assumed they would bring the child in the chair to the set so I went to assist. They unhooked the child from the vent and placed him in my arms with a plastic tube in his throat. I was stunned but as carefully as I could I walked over in front of the camera. The child could not respond to the bells and sqeekers used to direct their attention for a photograph and I was given no instructions on how to handle this child. With him cradled in my arms to support his head I manipulated him for the best picture by positioning my body at an awkward angle toward the camera, got the picture and returned him to his family and caretakers as quickly as possible. They approved of the picture initially-retakes are sometimes requested, but not in this case. Then this family contacted a television station and said I refused to sit with this child on my lap to take a picture! No one requested anything and I delivered the best picture I,could of this child for Christmas!

Old 12-23-2015, 05:56 PM

402 posts, read 976,086 times
I am outraged that I wasted my time reading about this nonsensical outrage.

Old 12-23-2015, 06:04 PM

620 posts, read 638,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
The Santa dude's side of the story.
It's sad that he should have to defend himself like this over something so trivial. Seated or standing, it's a lovely photo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events