Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 04:08 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,086,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
I think it's more rampant than you think it is.

Police corruption in Chicago PD 1960-2013:http://pols.uic.edu/docs/default-sou...n.pdf?sfvrsn=2

https://www.hrw.org/legacy/reports98/police/uspo27.htm
Quote:
Blue Wall of Silence = officers lying/covering FOR EACH OTHER.
Um... What's untrue and has been proven as such... To date nothing... Other than the D.a. saying tensing was unjustified... Which while I may agree with still has to be proven.... Ditto with witness statements

Tensing was apparently a poor policeman.. But that too remains to be proven

Old 12-30-2015, 04:12 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,604,014 times
Well, here is some information that's worth a look - and I don't think anything has changed in the past fifteen years other than the growing use of cell phone video's to capture some unsavory police officers.

I know, I know....it's fifteen years old and all the stations have fired everyone who participated...and the font isn't the right type...and the color of some of the wording is bad, blah blah blah.

Old 12-30-2015, 04:14 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,125,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Well, here is some information that's worth a look - and I don't think anything has changed in the past fifteen years other than the growing use of cell phone video's to capture some unsavory police officers.

I know, I know....it's fifteen years old and all the stations have fired everyone who participated...and the font isn't the right type...and the color of some of the wording is bad, blah blah blah.
What's the first and second rule of Fight Club?

Old 12-30-2015, 04:19 PM

And here is an interesting article on misconduct in Police Chief Magazine.

From the article:

Quote:
Misconduct’s Slippery SlopeIt is important to note that most officers do not jump headfirst into large-scale misconduct—instead, they weigh in gradually in a process referred to as incrementalism.6 The strength and ease with which officers can rationalize unethical behavior also depends, at least in part, on how they view their conduct, the people harmed by their actions, and the consequences that flow from their actions. An officer’s initial slide down the slippery slope of misconduct can begin with nothing more than simple policy violations that, if left unchecked, generate a mild feeling of psychological tension or discomfort. However, by learning to rationalize wrongdoing in ways that make it psychologically and morally acceptable, officers are able to relieve any feelings of distress or discomfort, effectively disengaging their moral compasses.
and

Quote:
Before officers can act ethically, they must recognize the moral nature of a situation; decide on a specific and, hopefully, ethical course of action; possess the requisite moral motivation to take action; and demonstrate the character necessary to follow through with his decision.9 To further complicate matters, even the best of intentions can be thwarted by peer pressure or fear of retaliation. For example, the 2003 National Business Ethics Survey found that approximately 40 percent of those surveyed would not report misconduct if they observed it because of fear of reprisal from management.10

Old 12-30-2015, 04:22 PM

Quote:
What's the first and second rule of Fight Club?
1) You do not talk about Fight Club.
2) You DO NOT talk about Fight Club!

That is some secret society, eh?

Old 12-30-2015, 04:30 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,285,443 times
Didn't read all the replies so maybe repeating things.

Protect and serve is not easy job.
Cops had to deal with danger every day.
It is the most dangerous job, cab driver, gas station clerk etc... follow that rank.

The negativity is from those bullies and chickens who somehow got into the force and made all look bad.
An innocent life shouldn't be wasted just because a scared cop imagines things in his/her head.

Those incidents are so much in the media (and they should be) that people are afraid when they have to deal with a cop as shown by various cop/citizen interactions.

That shouldn't be the situation.
You should be afraid only if you are a bad guy but so many incidents from bad cops suggest that you should be careful as you never know the one in front of you is a good or a bad one.

Few cops go beyond their call of duty and awarded medals and few go way down to give a bad name.
Good cops get awards and honors as they should
Accordingly, bad cops should be punished but they don't and that's why PD gets bad name overall.
Bad cops get away with crimes that normal citizen would never get away with.
Even murderer cops are released while the city pays millions on their behalf suggesting this $$$ doesn't mean the cop is guilty but we just want to pay the victim's family.

Really? If the cop is not wrong, why pay millions? If you just want to pay anyone who sues the PD/city, then pay everyone.
No wonder public don't trust PD/city when it comes to bad cops' actions.

Yes, we understand being a cop is risky and brave job and most do it according to oath they took.
Few bad apples stink everyone in that uniform and it's the PD that needs to be harsh against them instead of backing their wrong doings.

Old 12-30-2015, 04:34 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,125,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post

You state bay area...is sfpd corrupt in a systemic fashion?

Is your behavior ever corrupt...j are you perfect in your personal life.. Unsullied in public life... If so..step up
I think so:

'Day of shame

Graphic new video released in fatal police shooting of Mario Woods | abc7news.com

If I ever commit a crime, I'd be indicted, convicted , and sent to prison. And rightly so.
I'd expect the same if a PO committed a crime.

Old 12-30-2015, 04:35 PM

2,950 posts, read 1,637,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery123 View Post
Didn't read all the replies so maybe repeating things.

Protect and serve is not easy job.
Cops had to deal with danger every day.
It is the most dangerous job, cab driver, gas station clerk etc... follow that rank.

The negativity is from those bullies and chickens who somehow got into the force and made all look bad.
An innocent life shouldn't be wasted just because a scared cop imagines things in his/her head.

Those incidents are so much in the media (and they should be) that people are afraid when they have to deal with a cop as shown by various cop/citizen interactions.

That shouldn't be the situation.
You should be afraid only if you are a bad guy but so many incidents from bad cops suggest that you should be careful as you never know the one in front of you is a good or a bad one.

Few cops go beyond their call of duty and awarded medals and few go way down to give a bad name.
Good cops get awards and honors as they should
Accordingly, bad cops should be punished but they don't and that's why PD gets bad name overall.
Bad cops get away with crimes that normal citizen would never get away with.
Even murderer cops are released while the city pays millions on their behalf suggesting this $$$ doesn't mean the cop is guilty but we just want to pay the victim's family.

Really? If the cop is not wrong, why pay millions? If you just want to pay anyone who sues the PD/city, then pay everyone.
No wonder public don't trust PD/city when it comes to bad cops' actions.

Yes, we understand being a cop is risky and brave job and most do it according to oath they took.
Few bad apples stink everyone in that uniform and it's the PD that needs to be harsh against them instead of backing their wrong doings.
Excellent post.

The main problem is not the minority of cops who act criminally, but the police departments, unions and justice system who enable and protect them.

Old 12-30-2015, 04:45 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,599,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
And so is the rest of the country. Police are the only one's who expect to be personally thanked for raking in $50,000-100,000 a year in salary and benefits from the tax pool.
I guess that you've never heard of government school teachers. I read on this forum that they commonly send their Christmas gift wants to parents. It costs nothing to say ''Thank you.''

Old 12-30-2015, 07:05 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,086,140 times
Quote:
I think so:

'Day of shame

Graphic new video released in fatal police shooting of Mario Woods | abc7news.com

If I ever commit a crime, I'd be indicted, convicted , and sent to prison. And rightly so.
I'd expect the same if a PO committed a crime.
First guy sounds like a crook

Second shoot looks like it might be within policy and justified.... Mario choose his fate...
Sfpd added new policy after this shoot... Now anytime a sfpd officer points his gun at anyone a supervisor must be called.... Micromanagement that won't work in real life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events