Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2015, 12:44 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,083,718 times

Advertisements

This is... or was my station... it is closed now and was absorbed into a newly created multi area/city substation for more cost effective policing. More deputies were killed here than any other station in the county... the number is ..alot.

With all the negative police posts over the last year I have read on this site I thought I would post up what Christmas past was really like for me... and my friends in my career... where my friends were shot... I have removed their last names to preserve anonymity. This was posted today in our department holiday bulletin.. as such..I share as a current event.. for me it was just like yesterday.

I hope those of you that hate the police.. say we are thugs.. just want to use people for target practice.. will find that 99.5 plus percent police in this country go about our jobs everyday without fanfare... and encounter humans in ways you cannot imagine.

As the deputy in the recent San Bernadino terrorist event stated so eloquently.. "I will take a bullet for you".. that statement epitomizes why every one of us signed up for the job.
As we move forward into 2016 we, all Americans, will face more terrorism on our homeland... it will be "us" who respond... and hopefully some of "you" who are prepared. 123 peace officers have been killed so far this year

I wish all of you a Merry Christmas...

I hope 2016 keeps ALL of us safe and that we can ALL work together towards a better world

By M C

Although it is near the end of February in this New Year. We at Firestone Park are just putting Christmas out of our minds. The last week in December was very trying and at best shocking and unbelievable.

Generally the week before Christmas everyone finds themselves busied with preparations for parties, family celebrations, and all the rest that surround this joyous season. Our Christmas spirit came to an abrupt halt on December 23. On this day a nightmare would unfold and continue through the month of December. I am sure this sequence of events will be remembered for many years to come.

On or about 9 p.m. December 23rd. the ugly face of death and destruction reared its head in the Firestone Park area. In a matter of minutes. a hail of gunfire, two Deputies lay critically wounded on the sidewalk, along with two mortally wounded suspects. As if this mania wasn't enough, the nightmare continued. Sgt. K monitored the 998 broadcast. "Deputies Down," and immediately responded. Moments later Sgt. K himself was critically injured in a traffic accident and began a two-week fight for his life.

In a brief ten minutes. Deputy M lay in a hospital bed with a gunshot wound to his face. Deputy G next to him, with half of his skull savagely beaten in. Moments later, Sgt. K was rushed into the same intensive care unit, fighting for his life.

In our chosen profession we are not afforded the luxury of turning away from the anxieties of "Hurt, disgust and pain of a fallen Deputy." There was no time to stop and mourn. There was a vast crime scene to protect. The situation had to be pieced together. Witnesses must be found, and a broadcast must be initiated. To everyone's dismay a third suspect had escaped -

The night continued with our fallen Deputies fighting for their lives in the hospital. Firestone personnel, aided by SEB and Homicide teams, carefully pieced the puzzle together. Within hours the deceased suspects were identified and more important a search for the outstanding suspect was underway.

After all is done the waiting began. A short time to unwind. Tension and emptiness around the Station could be felt miles away. Everyone's thoughts and prayers are in the intensive care unit at St. Francis. However, the world wouldn't stop. The phone continues to ring at the desk. The Station lobby is filled with people demanding one kind of service or another. We can no longer unwind or regroup, it's time to go back to work.

The radio traffic begins. "11D from the Station to handle, any unit to assist gunshot victim on the sidewalk at 83rd and Compton." Before the call is acknowledged. '11A handle any two SEB units assist, CHP requesting assistance Florence and Holmes major 415 in the street." It goes on and on. It's now 11A, the 245 gunshot victim is now a 187. Several other calls have turned into demanding situations. There are no units available. Some units are still assigned to the Deputy shooting. Two units are working the 187 and Carson Station is working the Brook. The radio traffic continues.

December 23 is beginning to sound like the opening paragraphs of Dallas Barnes' book, Badge of Honor. This is no story, it is happening! Where does it end? When will it end?

Firestone Station is in various stages of controlled hysteria. Off-duty Firestone Deputies are in the Station suiting up. Assistant Sheriff E, Chief L, Inspector W, and Acting Capt. G are in conference at the station. It's now about 1:15 a.m., the Department helicopter is hovering above the station area, ready to assist. Sgt. D is at the controls, ready to set his bird down if necessary.

The next radio transmission is from D. He has picked up a speeding vehicle in the vicinity of the Deputy involved shooting, headed eastbound. The vehicle closely resembles the one seen at the location. An intercepting unit is requested to investigate. A few moments later Sgt. J and Deputy D. from SEB, are in pursuit. The pursuit goes south, east and south again. The suspect's vehicle spins out with SEB directly behind. Additional units are converging. The entire operation is being monitored by the Aero unit. The suspect dove out of the vehicle, spun around and opened fire on Sgt. S and Deputy D. Deputy D goes down, the radio screeches "998, Deputy Down." The identical broadcast of four hours ago.

The suspect flees on foot. The Aero unit overhead directs ground units and the suspect is located. The suspect fires again as Deputies lunge for cover. A gunfight ensues and the suspect is mortally wounded.
Deputy D is rushed to St. Francis and treated for a gunshot wound in his hand.

The wee hours of the morning are upon us. The radio traffic has finally grown silent. But as this night continues to unfold, the radio refused to cooperate. "I5A handle, l5D assist, 459N 18000 Bandera!" The handling unit goes 10-97 and moments later they are confronted with a lead-pipe wielding suspect. For the third time within six hours the RTO repeats the spine-tingling request for assistance. "I5A is requesting immediate assistance. 245 on a Deputy Shots fired," The engines roar and tires squeal as the black and white machines respond. The feeling among all of us is unanimous. "When will it end? Where does it end?"

It is now time to rap up all the loose ends. Begin the seemingly endless pages of reports to document this day, December 23 and the morning hours of the 24th.

By mid-afternoon all the reports are in. Everyone who worked during this night wearily makes their way to the parking lot. It is finally time to go home. As each one of us left the station parking lot, passing in front of the station, our thoughts were far from Christmas tidings. Most of the Deputies would return to work their assigned shifts in a matter of hours. Our thoughts were not about renewing friendships or Christmas with family. Instead our minds were in the intensive care unit at St. Francis. In three beds, with their life signs continually monitored, lay our Christmas.

To conclude this article we commend all Department units who assisted us through our nightmare. It is quite evident that the combined team effort and joint concern by men in the highest positions in our Department all worked together, thus forming a finely tuned and precision organization during a time when nothing less than excellence is acceptable.

On January 5, Deputies W and A were released from the hospital to convalesce at home. Sgt. K was released approximately one week later.

So it is now history, Christmas arrived at Firestone Park in mid-January. Just another day...

Postscript.. Deputy A was murdered later off duty... We identified his killer but the suspect committed suicide as deputies closed in

Deputy W was killed on duty almost a year after that

You want to know what its like to be a professional peace officer... see above....

Ask any policeman on this site... want to know why we strongly defend other police?... and yes call foul when one is out of policy or law.. we do that too.. well.. see above

Old 12-24-2015, 12:49 PM

1,194 posts, read 1,099,318 times
Bravo for the Good Guys!

Thank you for taking the time to write that.

I wish every person in America would take the time to read it, and to ponder.

Old 12-24-2015, 01:13 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,356,985 times
I hope in the coming year the numbers of LEO's injured or killed in the line of duty will be zero.

Happy Holidays/Merry Christmas to you, your family, and fellow Officers.

Old 12-24-2015, 01:16 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,622,243 times
This is supposed to be some sort of Christmas card? I'm lost here...

Old 12-24-2015, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
This is supposed to be some sort of Christmas card? I'm lost here...
Not a card, but a missive.

As the year grows to a close, and during a time when most folks are celebrating, people in law enforcement are still out facing hard duty without much in the way of thanks, and the mind rolls around to think of those who are no longer present at roll call.

It's a retrospective, bittersweet and reflective.

Old 12-24-2015, 03:01 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,362,874 times
Wow. So that's what it's like 100% of the time for 100% of the officers, or .001% of the time for .001% of the officers? There is kind of a difference.

Nothing better than a civil servant who needs to project their own self importance onto the rest of society.

Old 12-24-2015, 03:04 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,362,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodmockingbird View Post
Not a card, but a missive.

As the year grows to a close, and during a time when most folks are celebrating, people in law enforcement are still out facing hard duty without much in the way of thanks, and the mind rolls around to think of those who are no longer present at roll call.

It's a retrospective, bittersweet and reflective.
And so is the rest of the country. Police are the only one's who expect to be personally thanked for raking in $50,000-100,000 a year in salary and benefits from the tax pool.

Old 12-24-2015, 03:35 PM

50,759 posts, read 24,253,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
I hope in the coming year the numbers of LEO's injured or killed in the line of duty will be zero.

Agreed.

Old 12-24-2015, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post

And I am hoping it is a Christmas-into-New Years week distinguished for you only by maudlin drunks, fender benders, clumsy thieves who drop their ID at the scene of the crime, and guys speeding to get their wife to the hospital before Junior makes his appearance.

Old 12-24-2015, 03:56 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,974,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
Wow. So that's what it's like 100% of the time for 100% of the officers, or .001% of the time for .001% of the officers? There is kind of a difference.

Nothing better than a civil servant who needs to project their own self importance onto the rest of society.
The same could be said about the very very small percentage of officers who are involved in a bad shooting or "killing an "unarmed" black man." The large majority of cops are good like the large majority of cops probably don't see severe or fatal injuries on the job. But it does depend on where you're a police officer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events