U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 06:39 PM

86,093 posts, read 72,515,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
I would hope that ulterior motives be easily identified and dealt with accordingly, although I understand the logic behind what you're saying.
Sex perps won't be easily identified until after they have gotten into the women's locker room at the local Y.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2016, 06:41 PM

1,900 posts, read 830,551 times
Quote:
I would hope that ulterior motives be easily identified and dealt with accordingly, although I understand the logic behind what you're saying.
But how?
How would one prove that there were ulterior motives if all one has to do is claim " I identify as a woman". Lawyers would probably rub their hand in glee with all the potential work on all sides.......

Old 01-08-2016, 06:41 PM

3,961 posts, read 3,494,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Sex perps won't be easily identified until after they have gotten into the women's locker room at the local Y.
Are there any examples of this happening?

Old 01-08-2016, 06:52 PM

86,093 posts, read 72,515,954 times
Quote:
Are there any examples of this happening?
We're in new territory here with this law.

I did find this from Canada though:

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/02/26...erous-offender
A sexual predator who falsely claimed to be transgender and preyed on women at two Toronto shelters was jailed indefinitely on Wednesday.
He noted the Montreal man, 37, attacked four vulnerable females between the ages of five and 53 in Montreal and Toronto over the past 12 years.

Old 01-08-2016, 09:12 PM

9,199 posts, read 7,060,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
We're in new territory here with this law.

I did find this from Canada though:

Predator who claimed to be transgender declared dangerous offender | Toronto & G
A sexual predator who falsely claimed to be transgender and preyed on women at two Toronto shelters was jailed indefinitely on Wednesday.
He noted the Montreal man, 37, attacked four vulnerable females between the ages of five and 53 in Montreal and Toronto over the past 12 years.
The law is not new.

Quote:
Massachusetts

Cambridge Has Prohibited Discrimination In Public Accommodations Since 1997. In 1997, the city of Cambridge expanded its non-discrimination ordinance to prohibit discrimination against transgender people in public accommodations. [National Gay and Lesbian Task Force, July 2008]

Cambridge Police Superintendent: "No Incidents" Of Transgender Protections Being Abused. Police Superintendent Christopher Burke told Media Matters in an email:

Back in 1984 Cambridge enacted an ordinance that established the Human Rights Commission. The purpose of the ordinance was to protect the human rights of all citizens of the City. In 1997 this ordinance was amended to specifically include gender identity and expression. Much like the Transgender Equal Rights Bill proposal, the City of Cambridge sought to offer protection to transgender individuals from being harassed, fired from a job, denied access to a public place, or denied or evicted from housing. Since this 1997 amendment there have been no incidents or issues regarding persons abusing this ordinance or using them as a defense to commit crimes. Specifically, as was raised as a concern if the bill were to be passed, there have been no incidents of men dressing up as women to commit crimes in female bathrooms and using the city ordinance as a defense. [Email exchange, 3/7/14, emphasis added]
I haven't been able to find any examples of this law being abused in America.

That one story from Canada is the only one that pops up. If a man wants to assault women he does not have to go through such an elaborate ruse to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or