U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-28-2015, 01:17 PM
 
9,199 posts, read 7,069,110 times
Reputation: 11154

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
Well, tell you what... how 'bout people stop the hysteria over someone being old fashioned and not "getting" transgenderism by applying the old adage, "sticks and stones can break my bones, but names will never hurt me". However, when it comes to physical assault, throw the book at them and put them in JAIL, because if they are violent, they need to be locked up. Seriously!
Because that old adage is not true, and never was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-28-2015, 01:25 PM
 
9,365 posts, read 4,297,485 times
Reputation: 11051
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
I don't understand why you would chose to potentially hurt people this way (not all will be hurt, some will just feel sorry for you). If someone has gone through all this to make their lives more comfortable what satisfaction, unless you're just a dick, does it goes give you to throw it back at them?

Do not give me the crap about not participating in their "fantasy" as you see it. You choosing not to call them by the pronoun they live by is not going to change anything.

Not that I equate the two, (because I believe there's a biological basis for being transgender and pssst.... unicorns aren't real) but if someone most serious sincerely in their core felt they were a unicorn, and I'm not their therapist, I don't see what point I'd be making by not acknowledging them as such.

There's being real and then there's being intentionally cruel, and I think people are now using the "I'm not PC" card as an excuse to act like an arse.

It is hard to believe you would apply the same standards to other real vs. not real things in life. Just because someone (whether mentally ill, sexually confused, or some other malady) wants to pretend to be something they are not, we as members of society should not be forced by anyone, much less the government, to play along or be harmed.


Your thinking taken to it's logical conclusion, should allow me to be able to claim I am a minority or woman (I am a white male) on an application, and be admitted, hired, promoted, etc., under affirmative action. To prevent me or not to go along with my delusion, would be being a d*ick in your mind?
I guess in your book, the white woman Rachel Dolezal is really black then, just because she claims to be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2015, 01:27 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn, NY
615 posts, read 363,724 times
Reputation: 1337
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
If anyone has noticed all the bigotry, derrogatory names, misgendering and outright hatred of trans people on CD and the near daily threads on the topic which seems to consume so many, and the fact that like 30 TG people have been murdered this year alone, then quite probably this law is necessary to provide some tiny protections from the hate. I for one welcome it.

People on CD seems to have a bias against anyone outside of their norm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2015, 01:27 PM
 
9,365 posts, read 4,297,485 times
Reputation: 11051
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
You mean like...that time...the government had to tell a bunch of people to stop owning slaves...or that time they had to tell everyone...to let blacks use the same toilet? Yes....such control.....




So absurd, and off target it is not even worth a rational reply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2015, 01:34 PM
 
Location: Secure Bunker
5,464 posts, read 2,504,615 times
Reputation: 5242
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
If anyone has noticed all the bigotry, derrogatory names, misgendering and outright hatred of trans people on CD and the near daily threads on the topic which seems to consume so many, and the fact that like 30 TG people have been murdered this year alone, then quite probably this law is necessary to provide some tiny protections from the hate. I for one welcome it.
A fine of a quarter of a million dollars because someone in a business was uncertain about how to address a transgendered person is justified? That's "hate"?

Total nonsense. And insanity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2015, 01:46 PM
 
9,199 posts, read 7,069,110 times
Reputation: 11154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
It is hard to believe you would apply the same standards to other real vs. not real things in life. Just because someone (whether mentally ill, sexually confused, or some other malady) wants to pretend to be something they are not, we as members of society should not be forced by anyone, much less the government, to play along or be harmed.


Your thinking taken to it's logical conclusion, should allow me to be able to claim I am a minority or woman (I am a white male) on an application, and be admitted, hired, promoted, etc., under affirmative action. To prevent me or not to go along with my delusion, would be being a d*ick in your mind?
I guess in your book, the white woman Rachel Dolezal is really black then, just because she claims to be?
I did not dispute your argument with the government. It's your right to dissent.

I do think calling a transgender person by their biological pronoun to their face when they obviously are living as another gender is unnecessarily cruel. They are not pretending. That's your opinion, it is not their reality.

I don't see what it costs you to be kind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2015, 01:49 PM
 
9,199 posts, read 7,069,110 times
Reputation: 11154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
A fine of a quarter of a million dollars because someone in a business was uncertain about how to address a transgendered person is justified? That's "hate"?

Total nonsense. And insanity.
People aren't uncertain. They do it on purpose. See above.

That said, I don't advocate people be forced into being respectful of others. It's unfortunate however that they can't be empathetic without coercion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2015, 01:50 PM
 
9,365 posts, read 4,297,485 times
Reputation: 11051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
A fine of a quarter of a million dollars because someone in a business was uncertain about how to address a transgendered person is justified? That's "hate"?

Total nonsense. And insanity.

Come on now, the penalty must be excessive to force people to knuckle under to Big Brother. How else to turn us all into fellow apparatchiks.
Yet many of the same people who are likely for this, agree with Obama that drug pushers should be released from jail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2015, 01:59 PM
 
Location: Nescopeck, Penna. (birthplace)
12,351 posts, read 7,525,830 times
Reputation: 15955
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
People aren't uncertain. They do it on purpose. See above.

That said, I don't advocate people be forced into being respectful of others. It's unfortunate however that they can't be empathetic without coercion.

"Coerced empathy" is an oxymoron; but there are plenty of just-plain morons among the Politically Correct elite as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2015, 02:03 PM
 
9,365 posts, read 4,297,485 times
Reputation: 11051
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
I did not dispute your argument with the government. It's your right to dissent.

I do think calling a transgender person by their biological pronoun to their face when they obviously are living as another gender is unnecessarily cruel. They are not pretending. That's your opinion, it is not their reality.

I don't see what it costs you to be kind.

Even in the same breath of saying you understand my view, you make a comment about being kind.
Kindness has nothing to do with this discussion.
I am not a paid mental health worker who as part of their job must pour water on a person who thinks they are a carrot, or agree that the imaginary parakeet on a persons shoulder is cute. That is being kind to someone enveloped in a fantasy or mental illness.


Since trannys do not effect my daily life, frankly I do not care what they do so long as they do not try to be "loud & proud".
Keep your own sexual hang ups to yourself and I say live and let live. If Bob wants to wear a dress and it does not effect me or the business, so be it. However Bob had better not come up to me and want to discuss he weirdness with me and expect me to enable his delusion. I also wouldn't expect a fascist government saying I must go along with the fantasy or be coerced into doing so under threat of financial ruin.
People "being kind" by lying/pretending something is real when it isn't, is only enabling others. Then as you can see by the OP, the next step is mandating "kindness" with the tip of the government spear.


`
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:17 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top