Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 12:30 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,755,488 times

Advertisements

NYC is Alpha++ global city. Compare that to the bastions of conservatism, aka Middle America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2015, 12:56 PM

16,578 posts, read 8,600,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
^^^ There is the perfect example of why this law is needed. The absolute bigotry - and yes it IS malicious by many people. Why do you people even care what a trans person does? Why would you choose to intentionally cause pain to another, particularly someone you don't know.
Somehow my response to a previous post of yours didn't go though because I lost internet connection. It was pointing out what convoluted spin you attempted by equating a law in the workplace and physical violence toward trannys, as if that would stop a criminal from doing so.

My accurate comment which is based in fact, does not need a law to force me into pretending someone is something that they are not. Nor is stating facts bigoted except in a liberals PC fantasy world, where nothing can be uttered if it can even remotely make someone else feel uncomfortable. What about those of us who might be made to feel uncomfortable being forced to lie to others by calling them a man when they are a woman, or visa versa?
Or do our "feelings" not count in your book if it does not comport with your thinking?

Additionally, using your absurd comment in another post about trannys being killed, ergo the law was needed, rest assured my fact based view is neither hateful, nor a prelude toward violence against them. If John shows up one day at work and claims to be Jane, I am not going to physically harm him.
However I will also not play along with his charade that he is a woman either. So quit trying to conflate criminal violence with the need for PC speech control.

`

Old 12-28-2015, 12:57 PM

13,252 posts, read 7,304,105 times
LOL strange that a city would worry about this but is the 6th unfriendly city in the nation. New York City Ranked Sixth Most Unfriendly City in the World, Survey Finds | NBC New York

Old 12-28-2015, 12:58 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,368,531 times
Quote:
If anyone has noticed all the bigotry, derrogatory names, misgendering and outright hatred of trans people on CD and the near daily threads on the topic which seems to consume so many, and the fact that like 30 TG people have been murdered this year alone, then quite probably this law is necessary to provide some tiny protections from the hate. I for one welcome it.

You're a bully, and the hate's coming from you. We have every right to say anything we want to anyone, any time, anywhere. You -- with your use of the government to exert control over us -- are the bad guy here.

Old 12-28-2015, 01:03 PM

13,414 posts, read 9,948,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
It is PC coercion, plain and simple.

If you are a bio woman and then suddenly claim to be a man, guess what, I will never call you a man, nor refer to you in the male tense. That is not malicious on my part, it is just me keeping with reality, not PC make believe.
I would do the same if someone claimed to be a unicorn, and wanted to be referred to as one. It is just not going to happen, and if the PC speech police tried to enforce it, I'd see them in court. Assuming Obama and his ilk have not replaced all the sane judges with liberal wackos, I'd win sooner or later.

`
I don't understand why you would chose to potentially hurt people this way (not all will be hurt, some will just feel sorry for you). If someone has gone through all this to make their lives more comfortable what satisfaction, unless you're just a dick, does it goes give you to throw it back at them?

Do not give me the crap about not participating in their "fantasy" as you see it. You choosing not to call them by the pronoun they live by is not going to change anything.

Not that I equate the two, (because I believe there's a biological basis for being transgender and pssst.... unicorns aren't real) but if someone most serious sincerely in their core felt they were a unicorn, and I'm not their therapist, I don't see what point I'd be making by not acknowledging them as such.

There's being real and then there's being intentionally cruel, and I think people are now using the "I'm not PC" card as an excuse to act like an arse.

Old 12-28-2015, 01:04 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,425,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
You're a bully, and the hate's coming from you. We have every right to say anything we want to anyone, any time, anywhere. You -- with your use of the government to exert control over us -- are the bad guy here.
You mean like...that time...the government had to tell a bunch of people to stop owning slaves...or that time they had to tell everyone...to let blacks use the same toilet? Yes....such control.....

Old 12-28-2015, 01:05 PM

3,886 posts, read 4,539,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rleroy View Post
If this is liberalism, maybe I'm not as liberal as I thought.
This isn't your mother's liberalism

Old 12-28-2015, 01:11 PM

16,578 posts, read 8,600,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post

I agree, and you summed it up nicely. However I doubt the poster who probably considers themselves "enlightened, open-minded, a social justice warrior, etc.," will see themselves in the way we do.

As to being a bully, I recall a homosexual advocate giving a speech to HS kids about the ills of bullying, and then started to verbally deride those who didn't agree with him based on their religious views. As some were walking out he was verbally abusive to them, all while there to teach kids how not to bully others.
In reality, the leftists do not want to "coexist" as their bumper stickers and tee shirts indicate. Instead they expect you to knuckle under to their way of thinking to coexist, otherwise they want to attack you. If that isn't the definition of being a bully, I don't know what is.

`

Old 12-28-2015, 01:11 PM

3,886 posts, read 4,539,685 times
Quote:
It is rotten to protect people who are singled out for attack both verbally and physically? People can't even be nice here in a forum, I can't imagine what the reality in NY must be.
Well, tell you what... how 'bout people stop the hysteria over someone being old fashioned and not "getting" transgenderism by applying the old adage, "sticks and stones can break my bones, but names will never hurt me". However, when it comes to physical assault, throw the book at them and put them in JAIL, because if they are violent, they need to be locked up. Seriously!

Old 12-28-2015, 01:16 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,331,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I think all the people who choose to confuse should be required to wear name tags with the appropriate title that they want to be referred as on it.

It can get rather confusing in this crazy world and now employees who slip up can have their lives ruined.

Better than name tags would be for America to restore what used to be called a sense of humour.
I doubt it's going to come to something like a mega-fine on a slip-up by a low-level employee; the heavy-duty stuff is probably intended for a workplace where everyone, particularly the boss, is hostile, and makes no secret of it. And I doubt that many of us here would have a problem with that approach.

But it shouldn't be forgotten that there are a number of transsexuals who make no secret of their militancy, and are still here every day caterwauling for a place at the front of the line due to their new-found status, And if censure and punishment falls on someone who doesn't see it their way (like those professed Christian bakers, for example), they are the first and loudest to start the cackling and gloating.

Quote:
If anyone has noticed all the bigotry, derrogatory names, misgendering and outright hatred of trans people on CD and the near daily threads on the topic which seems to consume so many, and the fact that like 30 TG people have been murdered this year alone, then quite probably this law is necessary to provide some tiny protections from the hate. I for one welcome it.
You got your head handed to you with that thread -- precisely because of your oversimplification and stridency. And the same thing is going to happen here if you persist in the same argument.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 12-28-2015 at 01:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events