Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 08:50 AM

3,929 posts, read 2,953,054 times

Advertisements

I don't avoid places because of terrorists or the threat of terrorism. I do however avoid the mall because there is nothing there I need. I do avoid shopping at places on Black Friday because of the idiots who think it is worth fighting with others over a stupid television set or latest electronic gadget. I don't need to be bothered with that. I avoid flying when possible only because I have a fear of flying (irrational as it may be I find flying odd and unnatural). I still go to concerts and large events, but I hate crowds and I always make sure I know the exits and I tend to stay on the outside of the crowd as I don't wish to get pummeled or knocked over and stepped on if there is a panic for some reason. I still go to movies and sporting events.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2015, 08:53 AM

50,750 posts, read 36,458,112 times
I never liked big crowds in the first place, and you would never find me somewhere like Times Square on NYE, however I don't avoid concerts and parades and things like that. The chances of me getting killed just going to work and back are many, many times higher than being killed by terrorists.

Old 12-29-2015, 09:04 AM

1,199 posts, read 1,552,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsAll View Post
QUESTION: Does the real possibility of terrorism or violence occurring in public spaces and places these days (e.g., whether at shopping malls, public events or celebrations, concerts, movie or performing arts theatres, certain stores or other retail venues, et al) inhibit you from going to such venues or pubic events (out of fear of becoming a living victim or a dead statistic)?
No.

Terrorists don't scare me. I'm more likely to get killed by lightning or die in my bathtub.

An all powerful federal government who wants to "protect us" from terrorists does scare me, however.

Old 12-29-2015, 09:12 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,626,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsAll View Post
[b]QUESTION: Does the real possibility of terrorism or violence occurring in public spaces and places these days (e.g., whether at shopping malls, public events or celebrations, concerts, movie or performing arts theatres, certain stores or other retail venues, et al) inhibit you from going to such venues or pubic events (out of fear of becoming a living victim or a dead statistic)?
No more than my fear of being hit by a falling meteorite inhibits me from leaving the house.

Old 12-29-2015, 09:53 AM

76 posts, read 125,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Answer: No.

Reason: I can do basic math.

Seriously. 15,000 Americans are going to be murdered this year. 30,000 are going to die in traffic accidents. And I'm supposed to cower in fear because of very long odds that I might be one of the much smaller number of individuals to die in an act of terror?
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Since 9/11 45 people have been killed by terrorists in the USA. That is probably the lowest cause of death there is in all categories.
This right here. You are so much more likely to die in a car crash on your way to the mall than even be in the same location as a terrorist attack (never mind being injured or killed).

Being aware of your surroundings is always a good thing. But being afraid of a terrorist attack in the US, to the point that you alter your behavior, is irrational.

Old 12-29-2015, 10:34 AM

2,054 posts, read 2,567,829 times
No fear. Obtained a concealed weapon permit as well as the protection of my choice this year. I don't always carry, but I have the choice to do so. If that establishment won't allow it, then that is their choice, and it's my choice not to attend there.

Old 12-29-2015, 10:38 AM

16,554 posts, read 10,621,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
I have my gun with me. Cant stop a suicide bomber but for your basic terrorist gunman I have a good shot of surviving lol!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Not if you get shot first. Element of surprise wins over conceal carry.

Agreed, the element of surprise will usually win out over armed self defense. However, this is not a valid argument against concealed carry, because in a shooter situation, it is only the first one or maybe two victims that are overwhelmed by surprise. Everyone else has at least a theoretical chance of being able to successfully return fire, and possibly put the gunman out of commission before he kills even more people.

Old 12-29-2015, 10:47 AM

16,554 posts, read 10,621,516 times
I have not altered my habits due to the threat of terrorism, as I consider the risk to be too small to justify major lifestyle changes on my part.

Urban feral youth, on the other hand, are a different story. I consider the risk of being caught up in their mayhem to be considerably higher, and the risk spikes much higher still in certain locations at certain times. Therefore, I have taken to avoid visiting shopping malls or going to movie theaters on Friday and Saturday nights, as this seems to be prime time for the hoodlum set. I also refrain from visiting the nearby city of Baltimore on ANY night of the week -- not even to attend an Orioles game.

Not related to crime or terrorism, but one event that did cause me to change my habits was the Station nightclub fire in Rhode Island in 2003. After seeing the video of that tragedy, I began making it a point to make note of the exits whenever I go to a place of public assembly. If I see an obstructed exit, I will notify the management; and if they don't rectify the problem, I will leave and not come back. And if a place seems too crowded for the number of exits available, I'll leave.

Old 12-29-2015, 01:25 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,369,736 times
I lived a few miles from the Aurora theater shooting. I was never a fan of midnight movie premieres, but that was added to the list of reasons not to go to one. The idea of being a sitting duck in a confined space was unappealing. But that's entirely psychological hangup and not reasoned thinking on my part - the theaters on hyper alert for stuff like that around here, so another incident is unlikely.

But otherwise I don't really consider those issues. Look, while our country is not as safe as some other developed markets, it's FAR safer than it has been previously and far safer than the majority of other countries around the world.

Seth McFarlane came out with a movie that was set in the Old West and it was titled something liek "A Million Ways To Die In the West." It was a monumentally STUPID movie (with a great cast - go figure), but I liked the title because I thought it was pretty accurate. There were so many ways to die back then and they couldn't do anything about it. By comparison, we live in a very safe world, especially if you use common sense and don't take unnecessary risks.

Old 12-29-2015, 01:50 PM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraviolet3 View Post
I attend a lot of concerts. I was at a show in a venue about the same size of the Bataclan in Paris just three days before the attacks took place. I went back to the same venue about a week later and will admit that I thought about an exit strategy should anything happen. I did not fear that it was going to, but it makes sense to have some sort of plan just in case.

I'm not about to stop doing things I love, live music is one of my greatest passions.
Very similar here.

I went to the Air Force Academy for a Christmas concert and did just that kind of thinking ahead. Also went to a band concert at Colorado College, and again thought ahead. It was on my mind, but did not deter me from attending.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events