Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 04:36 PM

2,709 posts, read 2,280,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
I believe the UK police are better trained & are not quick to judge & execute.
Yea, I'm sure some London Bobbies could protect Times Square tonight just as efficiently as the NYPD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2015, 04:51 PM

2,709 posts, read 2,280,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Black men are MEN. They aren't some sub-species with different biology. Pure stereotypical BS. Blacks are no more prone to crime than anyone else. Dr. Ben Carson does not run around doing carjackings between surgeries. In areas where there are no blacks at all, crime rates are not greatly different than where they are a majority.
As I was laughing I realized that in your own deluded mind you actually believe this. After a second round of laughter, I wanted to help you out a little. Google ANY info that tracks crime statistics. Majority black cities will always have higher violent crime per capita than majority white cities.

Please don't let the facts stop you from posting. I still can't stop laughing at you.

Old 12-31-2015, 05:11 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,814,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
I didn't see this posted yet. Washington Post and CNN article on the fact that police killed 965 people this year.

About 25% were mentally ill, and 10% were unarmed.

Black men make up 6% of the population but were 40% of the unarmed killings.

It would be interesting to see how many bullets were used in each killing.

And it would be interested to see how many unarmed people legally armed citizens killed in relation.

Police fatally shoot nearly 1,000 people in 2016 | The Washington Post

Discuss.

Uh....for balance, I'll add a few things you chose to omit. BTW, this is WaPo's second article this year about the study. The first one detailed findings from Jan-May of this year.

-White cops killing unarmed black men represented less than 4% of fatal shootings.

-Those who were fatally shot by police were wielding weapons, suicidal or mentally unstable, or ran from the police after being told to stop.

-80%+ were armed with "potentially lethal weapons," most of which were guns.

- 9 out of 10 of the mentally ill were armed, usually with a gun.

It's all the rage for some to promote the fable that white cops are "on the hunt" for unarmed black men, but this study does not support that. Not by a long shot.

Old 12-31-2015, 05:58 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Uh....for balance, I'll add a few things you chose to omit. BTW, this is WaPo's second article this year about the study. The first one detailed findings from Jan-May of this year.
-White cops killing unarmed black men represented less than 4% of fatal shootings.
-Those who were fatally shot by police were wielding weapons, suicidal or mentally unstable, or ran from the police after being told to stop.
-80%+ were armed with "potentially lethal weapons," most of which were guns.
- 9 out of 10 of the mentally ill were armed, usually with a gun.
It's all the rage for some to promote the fable that white cops are "on the hunt" for unarmed black men, but this study does not support that. Not by a long shot.
The Guardian kept stats too and came up with some slightly different numbers. Their site allows you to search the database by any characteristics or circumstances that you want. For instance of the 1134 deaths, 222 subjects were unarmed. Of those 222, 74 were black and 207 were male.

Old 12-31-2015, 07:05 PM

19,826 posts, read 12,086,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
The Guardian kept stats too and came up with some slightly different numbers. Their site allows you to search the database by any characteristics or circumstances that you want. For instance of the 1134 deaths, 222 subjects were unarmed. Of those 222, 74 were black and 207 were male.
The Guardian site does not seem to differentiate between the officer being black or white. That is likely the difference in Delahanty's statement. The numbers likely do align.

Old 12-31-2015, 10:07 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
More criminals being born everyday because we have not improved our society enough to prevent the unnecessary birth of children to bad parents.

Old 12-31-2015, 10:15 PM

1,047 posts, read 1,012,991 times
It would be interesting to know in which states members of a particular race are, on a per capita basis, most and least likely to be killed by police.

Old 12-31-2015, 10:27 PM

35,001 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
If some runs shoot him in the leg. If some one doesnt drop a knife, shoot him in the hand. Shooting is ok, but killing is not.

And Most of these would have been avoided had people shown some respect and obeyed orders.Police are as human as anyone else, but living in danger most of the time.
So you value the lives of the thugs more than the lives of ordinary people and the police?

You're dreaming in technicolor if you think you can aim at the different parts of a hormone-crazed, 17 year old 300 lb. teen coming at you.

Old 01-01-2016, 12:46 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,276,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
I didn't see this posted yet. Washington Post and CNN article on the fact that police killed 965 people this year.

About 25% were mentally ill, and 10% were unarmed.

Black men make up 6% of the population but were 40% of the unarmed killings.

It would be interesting to see how many bullets were used in each killing.

And it would be interested to see how many unarmed people legally armed citizens killed in relation.

Police fatally shoot nearly 1,000 people in 2016 | The Washington Post

Discuss.
How many of those people either assaulted the officers or the public?

Old 01-01-2016, 06:36 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,804,566 times
A worthy read:

Quote:
When I was around 10 years old, my father confronted a young man who was said to be “crazy.” The young man was always too quick to want to fight. A foul in a game of 21 was an insult to his honor. A cross word was cause for a duel, and you never knew what that cross word might be. One day, the young man got into it with one of my older brother’s friends. The young man pulled a metal stake out of the ground (there was some work being done nearby) and began swinging it wildly in a threatening manner. My father, my mother, or my older brother—I don’t recall which—told the other boy to go inside of our house. My dad then came outside. I don’t really remember what my father said to the young man. Perhaps he said something like “Go home,” or maybe something like, “Son, it’s over.” I don’t really recall. But what I do recall is that my dad did not shoot and kill the young man.

That wasn’t the first time I’d seen my father confront the violence of young people without resorting to killing them. This was not remarkable. When you live in communities like ours—or perhaps any community—mediating violence between young people is part of being an adult. Sometimes the young people are involved in scary behavior—like threatening people with metal objects. And yet the notion that it is permissible, wise, moral, or advisable to kill such a person as a method of de-escalation, to kill because one was afraid, did not really exist among parents in my community.

The same could not be said for those who came from outside of the community.
Quintonio LeGrier, Bettie Jones, and the Paranoid Style of American Policing - The Atlantic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events