Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2015, 12:32 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,358,607 times

Advertisements

Over 100 million Chinese are being told to stay home. The pm2.5 pollution index is over 700 in some areas, and checking online I can see one city over 1,000 in China

100m warned to stay indoors in China - RTÉ News

This is a truly brutal level of pollution. And China's citizens are going to suffer lifelong issues over it.

India is also having serious issues as well. However in recent years they've made progress.

But China? they are claiming things will be better, however they are opening up more coal fired power plants next year. So while promises are being made, actions are speaking louder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2015, 12:43 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,552,551 times
It's a small planet and that crap ends up over here as well. That's my issue. If their people don't stand up and take issue, I feel bad for them, but for the entire globe's sake, China is going to have to wake up and smell the coffee.

Old 12-24-2015, 12:46 PM

50,721 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Yes, so let's end all regulations on business so we can be just like them! Folks who are against regulations on business, THIS is what happens without them.

Old 12-24-2015, 12:53 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post

But China? they are claiming things will be better, however they are opening up more coal fired power plants next year. So while promises are being made, actions are speaking louder.
It's the only domestic supply of fuel they have that can meet their energy needs. In addition to their industrial needs by my rough calculations they are burning as much coal as we do for residential heating by itself.

Newer plants assuming they have modern pollution controls will actually be beneficial if they are replacing older ones.

Old 12-24-2015, 12:59 PM

8,103 posts, read 6,745,378 times
This is the only bright spot to outsourcing...the cheap Chinese crap that had it been made in the US we would be suffering that massive pollution.

Old 12-24-2015, 01:42 PM

72,979 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Major Chinese cities have had severe pollution issues before. This is nothing new. This "emergency" that is being reported in China, well, I will tell you this. The levels of air pollution being tolerated daily in Chinese cities would literally constitute an emergency in the USA. This should let you know what kind of air is being breathed in many cities. Air pollution has been quite bad in China for quite some time. People have died in large numbers from the air pollution.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/14/wo...hs-a-year.html

What is more disturbing is that it took things getting this bad for China to act.

Old 12-24-2015, 02:42 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,363,612 times
as long as it's just 99 cents at wal-mart...

Old 12-24-2015, 03:01 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,358,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Major Chinese cities have had severe pollution issues before. This is nothing new. This "emergency" that is being reported in China, well, I will tell you this. The levels of air pollution being tolerated daily in Chinese cities would literally constitute an emergency in the USA. This should let you know what kind of air is being breathed in many cities. Air pollution has been quite bad in China for quite some time. People have died in large numbers from the air pollution.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/14/wo...hs-a-year.html

What is more disturbing is that it took things getting this bad for China to act.
Very true. I was in China 10 years ago....I had no idea. I was amazed at how much fog there was all the time. Then one day I realized.....wait...thats no fog.

Its not that I was stupid, its just that growing up here in Oregon I could not imagine anyone living in pollution that bad. My mind went...could that be pollution?....No no human being would ever knowingly let it get this bad....must be fog.

So its been this way for a long time.

Old 12-24-2015, 03:12 PM

8,103 posts, read 6,745,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Very true. I was in China 10 years ago....I had no idea. I was amazed at how much fog there was all the time. Then one day I realized.....wait...thats no fog.

Its not that I was stupid, its just that growing up here in Oregon I could not imagine anyone living in pollution that bad. My mind went...could that be pollution?....No no human being would ever knowingly let it get this bad....must be fog.

So its been this way for a long time.
I was in Hong Kong 20 years ago and it was pretty bad then. No pollution controls whatsoever on buses and trucks.

Old 12-24-2015, 03:23 PM

2,851 posts, read 2,299,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Yes, so let's end all regulations on business so we can be just like them! Folks who are against regulations on business, THIS is what happens without them.
Do you know what happens when we put excessive regulations on manufacturing, and China doesn't ?

All manufacturing moves to China.

There they produce the same amount of goods they did in the US, but with a much higher amount of pollution.

So in the end, we get more pollution and less jobs.

The answer is not to place even more regulations on US companies while letting China slide. The answer is to place tariffs on Chinese products unless they lower their pollution levels. And gradually increase regulations in the US while increasing pollution restrictions on Chinese goods.

Last edited by Ummagumma; 12-24-2015 at 03:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events