U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 06:19 AM

8,110 posts, read 7,083,089 times

Advertisements

Today on New years eve , then sun don`t come up and even the moon never comes up on the North Pole today , and the temperature is 36 below degree Centigrade with very light snow .08mm......... I don`t think Al Gore would like to live on the north pole

Old 12-31-2015, 06:35 AM

6,888 posts, read 6,209,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
They know that.. I reckon they are having fun..... WHAT THEY DONT REALISE IS HOW SERIOUS THIS IS!!

What is funny about this is all these denialist types are babbling about El Nino. The El Nino effect was discovered early in the last century by a guy named Gilbert Walker. The UK has a climate science foundation which is named in his honor. They study the effects of anthropometric climate change as a part of their research at the Walker foundation. Now of course, the denialist group thinks that the people who now work in the Walker foundation are dishonest researchers who fudge the date in an attempt to get their hands on grant money and of course bring down the capitalist economy or whatever.

I wonder who's side Gilbert Walker would be on if he were alive today?

Old 12-31-2015, 06:41 AM

4,854 posts, read 2,917,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I wish this subject were funny. Anyone who thinks taking care of our planet is something to be ignored should hop on a plane to Beijing and take a deep breathe.

Speaking of towns in Alaska, the furnished home I'm renting has mugs from all over the country. I don't know if one of the previous owners traveled a lot or just collected them. My morning coffee mug was from Chicken, Alaska.
Sounds like you are doing your part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
What is funny about this is all these denialist types are babbling about El Nino. The El Nino effect was discovered early in the last century by a guy named Gilbert Walker. The UK has a climate science foundation which is named in his honor. They study the effects of anthropometric climate change as a part of their research at the Walker foundation. Now of course, the denialist group thinks that the people who now work in the Walker foundation are dishonest researchers who fudge the date in an attempt to get their hands on grant money and of course bring down the capitalist economy or whatever.

I wonder who's side Gilbert Walker would be on if he were alive today?
Quick question Eddie, what is the correct average global temperature? To be specific what exactly should the average global temperature be?

Old 12-31-2015, 07:18 AM

23,651 posts, read 17,623,979 times
If you actually read the articles on this, the "50 degrees above normal" may have occurred momentarily. It's not sitting sustained 50 degrees above normal.

Old 12-31-2015, 07:57 AM

20,648 posts, read 16,680,404 times
No one read it, they are all just assuming what it's about.

Old 12-31-2015, 08:48 AM

2,998 posts, read 1,221,047 times
Quote:
AXIB 1322472s data along with that of other NPEO-deployed buoys are found at North Pole 90N. As of 12/30/2015 at 1800Z, buoy 1322472 was reporting the air temperature as -23.5C (-10F) which is pretty normal. However, looking at data from the last two days**, courtesy of the Wendy Ermold of the IABP we see that over a coupe of days the AXIB reported temperature near the North Pole rose significantly. It was -37C at 1800Z, 12/28/2015 and reached a maximum of -8.52C on 12/30/2015 at 0300Z, quite a rapid transition.
So in summary, the forecast warming was qualitatively pretty good even though temperatures at the Pole didnt reach up to the freezing point. In fairness the forecast front was very sharp so if it didnt get quite as far north, that would explain temperatures at the Pole being significantly cooler than forecast.
The top temperature reached was about 17F.
But "hopefully" (to those who wrote the article) it will be remembered as the time global warming caused the North Pole to melt in winter.

Old 12-31-2015, 09:14 AM

12,190 posts, read 10,393,690 times
Shouldn't this thread have that sad picture of a polar bear stranded on an floating ice cap by now?

Old 12-31-2015, 09:50 AM

1,637 posts, read 3,018,626 times
Quote:
I wish this subject were funny. Anyone who thinks taking care of our planet is something to be ignored should hop on a plane to Beijing and take a deep breathe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
They know that.. I reckon they are having fun..... WHAT THEY DONT REALISE IS HOW SERIOUS THIS IS!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Yep......I was shaking my head about that, too!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Shouldn't this thread have that sad picture of a polar bear stranded on an floating ice cap by now?

Old 12-31-2015, 10:01 AM

13,889 posts, read 12,655,712 times
Quote:
And therein lies the problem. American companies are burdened with onerous environmental regulations, but Chinese companies can spew all the pollutants they want in order to produce products sold in the USA. Either we should inpose the environmental laws on all products sold here or we should abolish all environmental laws.

Old 12-31-2015, 10:39 AM

5,765 posts, read 4,184,735 times
All joking aside, we all know that there is global warming. What can WE do about it? not a whole lot.

WHY? The ALMIGHTY $$$$.

Think about it: None of the rich conglomerate businesses who are at the top of the totem pole will EVER lower their emission rates unless they are PAID for it. Where do we get this money to pay them? It boils down to taxes. How do we get those taxes? From people who work at jobs and companies that need power and that power emits pollution. Those workers have to live, cooling or heating their houses, they have to eat, and they have to have transportation to and from work.

It's a vicious, never ending circle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or