U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 10:47 AM

28,206 posts, read 20,769,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
All joking aside, we all know that there is global warming. What can WE do about it? not a whole lot.

WHY? The ALMIGHTY $$$$.

Think about it: None of the rich conglomerate businesses who are at the top of the totem pole will EVER lower their emission rates unless they are PAID for it. Where do we get this money to pay them? It boils down to taxes. How do we get those taxes? From people who work at jobs and companies that need power and that power emits pollution. Those workers have to live, cooling or heating their houses, they have to eat, and they have to have transportation to and from work.

It's a vicious, never ending circle.
Boom. We live under the thumb of the rich and powerful who don't give a flying **** about the rest of us.

Old 12-31-2015, 11:12 AM

335 posts, read 248,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Boom. We live under the thumb of the rich and powerful who don't give a flying **** about the rest of us.
Ah...hold on. The rich and powerful people you speak of are generally the top rung of major corporations that provide goods and or services demanded by the population. This country has been raised with a throw a away mind set of always needing the latest product on the market. If you have one family member that upgraded to the new iPHONE or Samsung, while still in possession of a perfectly functioning phone, they are contributing to the problem. Common sense dictates to reduce the pollution produced by factories, reduce the demand.

Old 12-31-2015, 11:15 AM

6,888 posts, read 6,212,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post

Quick question Eddie, what is the correct average global temperature? To be specific what exactly should the average global temperature be?
I'm certainly not an expert and don't pretend to be. Are you a climate scientist? Who knows, if the scientists at the Foundation are making stuff up then how do we know that the El Nino effect isn't a bunch of baloney.

Old 12-31-2015, 12:01 PM

8,623 posts, read 6,261,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post

It has happened at least once or twice in the past on this old rock. Most likely the South pole as well. It's not like Earth was born yesterday.

Old 12-31-2015, 12:08 PM

659 posts, read 1,009,779 times
Quote:

Quick question Eddie, what is the correct average global temperature? To be specific what exactly should the average global temperature be?
nice strawman, but I've seen it before so I'll smack it down for giggles.

Since it is a human asking the question, the answer must of course be answered from the perspective of a human (and since it was online, someone with access to at least somewhat decent infrastructure and technology).

--ceteris paribus, whatever it was when we decided to build up 1/2 the world into an industrialized "modern" urban model with infrastructure, resource allocation, population centers etc where they are. Higher temperature (more energy) will eventually shift weather and climate patterns to make the aforementioned things less useful if not completely useless. There aren't enough fossil fuels left to "start over". Why anyone would want to wilfully ignore this and accelerate the change (which could yes, happen naturally eventually...) is beyond me; then again, we only have about 1 billion years left in the stellar evolution cycle before Earth is uninhabitable to organic-based life forms anyways... so....

Old 12-31-2015, 12:27 PM

52,055 posts, read 41,872,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Is this due to excessive farting and belching by polar bears?

Seriously, weather on our earth has always run in cycles. I live in Ohio that was a glacier before it was a lake before it is what it is today.
True. Wisconsin used to be 90% covered by ice up to thousands of feet thick.

So, there remains hope for positive changes for some states.

Old 12-31-2015, 12:30 PM

2,998 posts, read 1,221,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Further View Post
Ah...hold on. The rich and powerful people you speak of are generally the top rung of major corporations that provide goods and or services demanded by the population. This country has been raised with a throw a away mind set of always needing the latest product on the market. If you have one family member that upgraded to the new iPHONE or Samsung, while still in possession of a perfectly functioning phone, they are contributing to the problem. Common sense dictates to reduce the pollution produced by factories, reduce the demand.
Exactly.

Or if you like you home heated or cooled to a comfortable temperature. Or if your home is larger than it needs to be. Or if you like fresh fruits in the winter which are brought in. Or if you drive places that are unnecessary. This things all add to the carbon footprint or whatever it is called.
In general we like the things that we claim cause global warming.
Or people who claim they are really all that concerned about global warming do not need to have huge conferences with a lot of wasteful activities.
The changes that are proposed are very small compared to the totality.

This doesn't mean we shouldn't be trying to develop cleaner sources of energy. Although I would be willing to bet these new energy sources will have their own set of pollutants and problems.

Old 12-31-2015, 12:35 PM

14,269 posts, read 15,927,708 times
Quote:
Sounds like you are doing your part.

All sarcasm aside, my carbon footprint on this Earth is so small you'd need a magnifying glass to find it. Good thing the country doesn't need me to shop to boost the economy. (although I did just buy 2 pre-owned sweaters on eBay!) However, I do like to be comfortable.

I strongly believe we need to address many environmental issues impacting our planet, including global warming. We also produce way too much trash and we take fresh, drinkable water for granted. However, on a cold night, I feel no guilt turning up the thermostat in my 680 sf, 3 room cottage while Al Gore lives in a 20 room, 8 bath mansion.

Happy New Year, everyone!

Old 12-31-2015, 01:13 PM

14,269 posts, read 15,927,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Further View Post

Exactly! I bought a Samsung flip phone last year in Best Buy for around $14. I've heard more than once that I need to "get into the 21st Century" because I do not have a Smart Phone. I don't need one. The other day I needed to print something and drove to the library. It cost 20 cents. I figure I print 100 pages maximum per year. That's less than the cost of one ink cartridge. In the past, I was buying reams of paper and ink cartridges every few months. I printed receipts, emails, bank statements and canceled checks I don't need because they're all available online. I have a printer, but it's not compatible with my Chromebook and in 2 years I haven't missed it. Eventually when I settle down, I'll buy a small, wireless printer for convenience, but now I realized how much paper I wasted.

Today there was a story in the news about a couple from Florida who witnessed the gruesome death of an elevator technician on a Carnival cruise ship. As blood was streaming down the elevator door, the "horrified" vacationer took his phone out of his pocket and began filming. Has technology caused us to lose our sense of decency? A man is seriously injured and bleeding to death and someone decides to film it. The Headline in USA Today reads "Family Horrified by Gruesome Death on Cruise" What about the poor guy who was mutilated and bled to death? No wonder "Affluenza Boy" got away with vehicular homicide!

Old 12-31-2015, 02:48 PM

2,707 posts, read 2,375,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Exactly! I bought a Samsung flip phone last year in Best Buy for around $14. I've heard more than once that I need to "get into the 21st Century" because I do not have a Smart Phone. I don't need one. The other day I needed to print something and drove to the library. It cost 20 cents. I figure I print 100 pages maximum per year. That's less than the cost of one ink cartridge. In the past, I was buying reams of paper and ink cartridges every few months. I printed receipts, emails, bank statements and canceled checks I don't need because they're all available online. I have a printer, but it's not compatible with my Chromebook and in 2 years I haven't missed it. Eventually when I settle down, I'll buy a small, wireless printer for convenience, but now I realized how much paper I wasted.

Today there was a story in the news about a couple from Florida who witnessed the gruesome death of an elevator technician on a Carnival cruise ship. As blood was streaming down the elevator door, the "horrified" vacationer took his phone out of his pocket and began filming. Has technology caused us to lose our sense of decency? A man is seriously injured and bleeding to death and someone decides to film it. The Headline in USA Today reads "Family Horrified by Gruesome Death on Cruise" What about the poor guy who was mutilated and bled to death? No wonder "Affluenza Boy" got away with vehicular homicide!
Just because you have a printer doesn't mean you have to use it all the time. If you had one, you wouldn't have needed to start your car up and drive to the library.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or