U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 04:15 PM

14,269 posts, read 15,924,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
Just because you have a printer doesn't mean you have to use it all the time. If you had one, you wouldn't have needed to start your car up and drive to the library.
Did I say there was anything wrong with owning a printer? (or even 2 or 3?) I was only pointing out that when we have things readily available, it's too easy to produce waste.

By the way, I enjoy going to the county library. In a world where we download books and get most of our news from the Internet or cable TV, I find it relaxing to sit in front of a big, stone fireplace surrounded by books to read the newspaper. Since I drive an average of 30 miles a week, I never feel guilty about taking a short, unplanned trip. If I were healthier, however, I'd ride a bike into town.

Last edited by justNancy; 12-31-2015 at 04:45 PM..

Old 12-31-2015, 04:27 PM

7,112 posts, read 9,359,291 times
Well, they said this was going to be an extraordinarily mild winter. If that kind of thing keeps happening it may set a new record.

Old 12-31-2015, 04:46 PM

16,610 posts, read 28,798,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
I don't know about "The North Pole," but the temperatures around Fairbanks and North pole have been quite nice this week (in the +20s though high 30s). But such temperatures aren't necessarily abnormal around here. Each year, in the middle of the winter like it is now though perhaps January, we get a Chinook winds that bring warm air to the interior.

For those of you living in the lower-48 States: when we have a period of warm temperatures in the middle of the winter, Northerly cold fronts are usually moving your way. Along the cold comes moisture in the form of rain, or snow. When you hear the weather forecasters talking about a cold front or air currents from the North (Alaska, or Canada) moving South, expect snow or rain. There is nothing new about such things.

Old 12-31-2015, 04:54 PM

16,610 posts, read 28,798,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Boom. We live under the thumb of the rich and powerful who don't give a flying **** about the rest of us.
Don't be oppressed by the rich; become richer yourself. If you have a job that provides shelter and food for you and your family, should the bum living in the streets with a cardboard box over his head talk of you as the "rich" who has him under your thumb?

If one goes though life believing that others are at fault for the way one is and the things one does, one would never be pleased about anything in life.

Old 12-31-2015, 05:11 PM

2,839 posts, read 1,697,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I do care about climate change. I absolutely think its real and I think much of it is from humans. But I hold no hope of anything ever changing in this anti-intellectual society we find ourselves in. So, I've decided to hunker down, worry about me and mine and say **** it.
I am sure that some people living on those tropical atolls will agree with you.

OTOH, I am also sure that some countries a large part of whose territory lies beyond the polar circle are secretly excited. All of a sudden they are going to double the size of their arable and otherwise usable land.. that's why you don't see more than lip service coming from Russia or Canada.

Old 12-31-2015, 05:12 PM

1,729 posts, read 1,034,525 times
"Global Warming"... the go-to well whenever a "shiny thing" is needed.

Old 12-31-2015, 05:21 PM

20,633 posts, read 16,673,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RP2C View Post
"Global Warming"... the go-to well whenever a "shiny thing" is needed.
The article is not even about global warming, but is an informational article that discusses this year's weather patterns and how they are causing the warming:

"Thanks to the same low-pressure system that produced blizzards in New Mexico, tornadoes in Texas and flooding in Missouri, the North Pole was about 40 degrees above the seasonal average high on Wednesday, according to the Washington Post's weather team....

CNN Senior Meteorologist Brandon Miller pointed out that two strong weather systems -- the low-pressure mass that's moved through the United States and northern Europe, and a high-pressure system over Siberia -- have helped pull warm air from southern Europe and northern Africa. "Because of the strength of the two systems, it's allowing that air to travel farther north than it normally would," he said.

Nevertheless, the North Pole high is strictly a temporary phenomenon, with temperatures returning to normal very soon, Miller said. What's important to monitor is whether the warming becomes part of a pattern that reduces sea ice in the Arctic".

Actually reading the article a thread is based on before making comments on it...the go-to when the truth is actually sought.

Old 12-31-2015, 05:28 PM

11,218 posts, read 6,528,993 times
Weather.

Old 01-01-2016, 08:33 AM

28,206 posts, read 20,765,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Further View Post
Ah...hold on. The rich and powerful people you speak of are generally the top rung of major corporations that provide goods and or services demanded by the population. This country has been raised with a throw a away mind set of always needing the latest product on the market. If you have one family member that upgraded to the new iPHONE or Samsung, while still in possession of a perfectly functioning phone, they are contributing to the problem. Common sense dictates to reduce the pollution produced by factories, reduce the demand.
Bull****.

Example: the electric car

Result: When major corporations - who would not have profited from the switch - saw the demand for these fuel efficient, environmentally friendly cars were becoming popular, they used their money and might to pull every single last one off the road.

Old 01-01-2016, 08:35 AM

28,206 posts, read 20,765,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Exactly! I bought a Samsung flip phone last year in Best Buy for around $14. I've heard more than once that I need to "get into the 21st Century" because I do not have a Smart Phone. I don't need one. The other day I needed to print something and drove to the library. It cost 20 cents. I figure I print 100 pages maximum per year. That's less than the cost of one ink cartridge. In the past, I was buying reams of paper and ink cartridges every few months. I printed receipts, emails, bank statements and canceled checks I don't need because they're all available online. I have a printer, but it's not compatible with my Chromebook and in 2 years I haven't missed it. Eventually when I settle down, I'll buy a small, wireless printer for convenience, but now I realized how much paper I wasted.

Today there was a story in the news about a couple from Florida who witnessed the gruesome death of an elevator technician on a Carnival cruise ship. As blood was streaming down the elevator door, the "horrified" vacationer took his phone out of his pocket and began filming. Has technology caused us to lose our sense of decency? A man is seriously injured and bleeding to death and someone decides to film it. The Headline in USA Today reads "Family Horrified by Gruesome Death on Cruise" What about the poor guy who was mutilated and bled to death? No wonder "Affluenza Boy" got away with vehicular homicide!
That's YOU. For many people, we need smart phones for our businesses and occupations. We don't have the luxury of driving to the library to print something when we have work. In the real world, the need for smartphones, lap tops, etc has become very real. You can't just set up a typewriter, bring in your white out and ink ribbon and call it a day. It doesn't work that way now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or