Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2016, 08:48 AM

3,515 posts, read 3,685,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post

American Muslims have a right to worship without being targeted like this.

Yeah, kind of like some wacked out bigot burning down a mosque in Houston a few days ago....when will the hatred stop.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/...-there-n487841

Old 01-01-2016, 08:48 AM

16,551 posts, read 8,592,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post

For starters, I do not believe in "hate crimes", as in most cases the crime itself is sufficient to cover the offense. I really am amused when you see a murderer also charged with a hate crime, as if the death penality alone was not enough.
Additionally it seems as if these so called hate crimes are for anyone who is a protected PC minority group, and rarely are used when the crime is perpetrated against white heteros.
I wonder from a constitutional standpoint if not only hate crimes would hold muster, but if something like what was done in this instance couldn't be considered a form of free speech
To me, it is wrong, but then again I think burning the American flag in this country is wrong also. Yet AJ Scalia and all the other justices at the time of the ruling voted 9-0 that burning the flag was a form of free speech.

The bottom line is that this could be covered by a vandalism or related charge. I find it amusing that Obama & Co are getting involved with rewards by the FBI over such a small matter. I wonder if they treat all local incidents with the same scrutiny?

`

Old 01-01-2016, 08:52 AM

3,515 posts, read 3,685,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
For starters, I do not believe in "hate crimes", as in most cases the crime itself is sufficient to cover the offense. I really am amused when you see a murderer also charged with a hate crime, as if the death penality alone was not enough.
Additionally it seems as if these so called hate crimes are for anyone who is a protected PC minority group, and rarely are used when the crime is perpetrated against white heteros.
I wonder from a constitutional standpoint if not only hate crimes would hold muster, but if something like what was done in this instance couldn't be considered a form of free speech
To me, it is wrong, but then again I think burning the American flag in this country is wrong also. Yet AJ Scalia and all the other justices at the time of the ruling voted 9-0 that burning the flag was a form of free speech.

The bottom line is that this could be covered by a vandalism or related charge. I find it amusing that Obama & Co are getting involved with rewards by the FBI over such a small matter. I wonder if they treat all local incidents with the same scrutiny?

`

Vandalism and trespassing would probably suffice. That said, law enforcement has no suspects and no clue as to why someone might have done this, might be wise to figure that out before throwing around the "hate crime" label.

Old 01-01-2016, 08:57 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,600,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1
American Muslims have a right to worship without being targeted like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post

Now there's an oxymoron if ever there was one!

I realize people who were born here who practice the Muslim faith don't fit into your Judeo-Christian image of what Americans should be, but they have the same rights all Americans have. And they pay their taxes, contribute to the community and serve their country, but some don't want to acknowledge that fact.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 01-06-2016 at 09:09 AM.. Reason: rude

Old 01-01-2016, 08:58 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,099,024 times
Quote:
It's a PRANK, nothing more. Muslims need to stop looking for something to be outraged over.
The overwhelming majority of Muslims I know and worked with want nothing more than to be left alone to build a family, career and comfortable retirement just like you and I. Yes, there are the fanatical wingnuts in their community. Just like there are fanatical Christian wingnuts in our community, and in every other religion and faith in the world.

The "outrage" doesn't come from the Muslim community. It comes from left-wing, self-loathing white apologists.

They are nothing more than an embarrassment to their own race and we would be far better off without them.

Old 01-01-2016, 09:35 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,664,399 times
xenophobe rightwing nutcases or stupid kids I would give stupid kids a pass on the hate crime charges but an adult should be punished properly. If someone defaced a Christian church with something offensive to them like the constitution or the bill of rights the moral majority would be outraged.

Old 01-01-2016, 09:40 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,086,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
And that's an ignorant statement if ever there was one.

I realize people who were born here who practice the Muslim faith don't fit into your Judeo-Christian image of what Americans should be, but they have the same rights all Americans have. And they pay their taxes, contribute to the community and serve their country, but some don't want to acknowledge that fact.
And what "right" was "violated" here? Was anyone's ability to participate in a prayer service infringed upon? This is akin to the flaming bag of dog poop at the front door PRANK, nothing more.

Old 01-01-2016, 09:59 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,923,139 times
This thread reminds me of the pre cooked bacon in the freezer....will have a BLT for lunch watching the football game.

Old 01-01-2016, 10:26 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,600,459 times
Quote:
And what "right" was "violated" here? Was anyone's ability to participate in a prayer service infringed upon? This is akin to the flaming bag of dog poop at the front door PRANK, nothing more.
Like I posted, all Americans have a right to worship without being hassled, mocked, or targeted. I know that troubles some of you, but that's too damn bad.

And since a flaming bag of dog poop doesn't relate to any ethnicity, religion, race or sexuality, your analogy doesn't hold water.

Old 01-01-2016, 10:26 AM

37,796 posts, read 40,996,819 times
Don't you have to append a hate crime to another crime? In other words, doesn't there have to be an initial crime on which you add on "hate crime" when the initial crime is determined to be one?

Examples: Graffitti on a building (initial crime) but the words written are racist? Murder (initial crime) because the person was gay?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events