Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 11:52 AM

4,992 posts, read 5,290,988 times

Advertisements

I happen to love and still eat BlueBell ice cream because I don't really think of listeria as being a real threat to my relatively healthy body. I also happen to have relatives who have milked cows and heard their stories of the good ole days of cows pooping while milking. They drank the milk anyway. I have another relative who did quality control tests for suppliers of brand and non-branded foods for a company that wasn't Bluebell. Guess what??? A certain level of bacterial contamination that can be present in foods and it will still pass the testing.

I toured the Oklahoma plant a few years back. They have public tours where they take you upstairs into a room with covered glass windows and you get to look out into the facility. The place looked really clean. I remember there being a lot of stainless steel equipment and piping. I saw some strong employee pride there. I'm guessing the contamination was from a trucked in source. To my knowledge, Bluebell has fixed the problem. They didn't take the cheap way out. I'm not sure what else they could have done. They've replaced equipment and also kept a place for these employees to come back to. I can and will support that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 11:54 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
People still drive Toyotas after it was learned that they knew about brake problems and hid it. There are other car manufacturers out there with similar problems. Brand loyalty I guess. I will say that during the great Blue Bell famine of 2015, I couldn't find a single ice cream that was as tasty.

Is the Justice Department going to look into the E. Coli at Chipotle?
not exactly, but close.

Chipotle subpoenaed as part of investigation; sales plunge

Old 01-06-2016, 02:29 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,600,003 times
I bought a couple of their pints after the redistribution but I did wait a few weeks to make sure the people that bought it would be okay.

Old 01-06-2016, 02:45 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,474,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
I bought a couple of their pints after the redistribution but I did wait a few weeks to make sure the people that bought it would be okay.
That's the world we live in. Buy it, store it, and eat it later if it hasn't killed other consumers.

Old 01-06-2016, 03:31 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Blue Bell isn't "ice cream". It is ice milk with additives and really gross. I wouldn't touch that crap!
Someone destroyed your taste buds.

Old 01-06-2016, 03:40 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
I really hope that none of you ever eat meat or sandwiches from Delis. When Purdue University did a study on Listeria, they found it present in one in ten (10%) of samples from delis. - Your Deli Sandwich May Come With a Side of Listeria, Study Finds

Most of us shouldn't worry too much because "most healthy adults can be exposed to Listeria with little to any risk of infection and illness." - Everything You Never Wanted to Know About Listeria, But Need To | Food Poison Journal

However, I hope that those people who are afraid of Blue Bell realize they need to go cold turkey with their cold turkey and other deli meats so they don't suddenly drop dead.

Old 01-07-2016, 07:12 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I really hope that none of you ever eat meat or sandwiches from Delis. When Purdue University did a study on Listeria, they found it present in one in ten (10%) of samples from delis. - Your Deli Sandwich May Come With a Side of Listeria, Study Finds

Most of us shouldn't worry too much because "most healthy adults can be exposed to Listeria with little to any risk of infection and illness." - Everything You Never Wanted to Know About Listeria, But Need To | Food Poison Journal

However, I hope that those people who are afraid of Blue Bell realize they need to go cold turkey with their cold turkey and other deli meats so they don't suddenly drop dead.
Bagged salads are also a pretty reliable source of listeria.

I personally don't worry about it. I've had food poisoning before and I lived.

Old 01-07-2016, 11:18 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,318,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Yup...I'm in Texas, home of Blue Bell. It's very popular around here. People were LOSING. THEIR. MINDS. when it was pulled off store shelves and they RELOST their minds when it came back; my local grocery store sold out of it within a couple of hours. But I think people are over it. There are half a dozen flavors of Blue Bell ice cream in various sizes at my grocery store and they never seen to run out of any of it.

I personally won't eat it, but I wouldn't eat it before the listeria outbreak. I won't eat it because it's fattening and because it has garbage ingredients.
I am in Texas too (although I transplanted here in my late 30s), and I found the whole thing humorous and annoying at the same time, the way people think there is absolutely no good ice cream on the planet anywhere whatsoever except Blue Bell. Frankly, I consider that irrational, maybe downright stupid, and in such conversations I'd flat-out say as much. There is Breyer's (my personal favorite), Dryer's (I don't care for the name I think they stole it from Breyer's), Eddy's, Häagen-Dazs, Blue Bunny (play on name perhaps?), and ice cream parlors like Baskin Robbins, Dairy Queen or even better, Braum's. There is life outside Listeriaville.

People's blind loyalty to things sometimes is silly. It's either that, or it's as if they don't even realize there are other options. In this area, for instance, I bet you 97% of the phones I see are Straight Talk, as if Virgin Mobile, MetroPCS, T-Mobile, Cricket, and Boost Mobile don't even exist. It's as if they think Straight Talk is the ONLY phone carrier AT ALL besides paying an obscene amount to AT&T & Verizon on contract (never mind that contracts are going away, and that anymore even AT&T & Verizon's rates aren't as bad as they used to be). They're absolutely that way with respect to Blue Bell, and it's just silly.

Old 01-07-2016, 11:52 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,557,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Blue Bell isn't "ice cream". It is ice milk with additives and really gross. I wouldn't touch that crap!

I couldn't agree more. We rarely eat ice cream, but I'd do without if it had to be this brand.

Old 01-07-2016, 12:12 PM

3,658 posts, read 2,563,286 times
I rarely eat ice cream but have good memories of my dad making ice cream when I was young. He used to used the hand churner that you put rock salt around the outside. I remember it being really good but maybe it was just the idea that it was home made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events