Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 08:17 AM

77,978 posts, read 60,166,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Star Wars:*Men’s Rights Group Claims Its Boycott Cost The Force Awakens Millions

The horror! Two main characters, and neither of them are white men! What is this world-- um, I mean 'this galaxy far, far away'-- coming to?

God. Read the comments at the end of this tripe:

Did The New Star Wars Casting Have A Racial Agenda?

They're pitiful. Sad little loser white males (and I say this as a white male myself) who can't handle the fact that society is becoming incrementally less (not more - just somewhat less) biased in favor of white males each year. Losers, because they can't even handle themselves in a world that is stacked in their favor (again, speaking as one, any white man who doesn't see this is clueless or in serious denial).

Read the first comment:
"This isn't more diversity, this really is a genocide."

You might as well get I'M A PATHETIC LOSER tattooed right there on your forehead, pal! But then, he's par for the MRA course. Total loserville...
People complain about the correct levels of diversity all the time. <shrug>

As for Mens Rights being loserville, maybe someday you'll go through a divorce and get to experience the level playing field that is custody?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2016, 08:18 AM

77,978 posts, read 60,166,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I'm sure these bigots would love to see a fan theory from this movie come true. The theory is one of the new male characters is gay.
Well the new Sith lord does look like the old neighbor from family guy....

Old 01-05-2016, 08:22 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,192,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
. <shrug>

As for Mens Rights being loserville, maybe someday you'll go through a divorce and get to experience the level playing field that is custody?
The answer to fair custody is to exclude women or minorities from starring roles in cool franchises?

Old 01-05-2016, 08:49 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,164,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Well of course the casting was pushing diversity for its own sake. Sci-fi, more than most genres has a long history of using black and ethnic characters since the early Star Trek TV and movie series. I remember a white friend expressing discomfort over the number and high profile of black actors in the Matrix series. I asked them if they hadn't noticed this about sci-fi in general. They had but they thought the Matrix was particularly over the top in that respect. Lucas was a misogynist racist, and loaded the early Star Wars releases with gender and race stereotypes, for which he received a bit of push-back. Disney took over, and did what Disney does best, for good or ill. I personally could do without seeing so many black pilots and space adventurers in the movies, making it seem as if such a thing is actually possible in the human realm. In actuality, out of 3/4 million commercial airline pilots, only a few dozen are black men, and maybe a dozen are black women. You aren't likely to see them flying for Jet Blue or SouthWest anytime soon.
Oh, this is so much silly ignorance! Scifi novels and short stories were "pushing diversity" back in the 1940s and 1950s, sweetpea, because writers from 60 years ago figured that "in the future", racism wouldn't matter much. You want to know what was really "pushing diversity" in the Star Trek tv show? Having Russian-born Pavel Chekov on the bridge in the very heart of the Cold War. Ever hear of the Cuban Missile Crisis? Nikita Khruschev?

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
So let met get this straight, if there are minority actors, it's just "casting pushing diversity for it's own sake" That's a pretty racist notion. So if you have too many Blacks or minorities, it had nothing to do with the actors' talent or the director's vision?

George Lucas made Boba Fett a Pacific Islander. Boba Fett was arguably the most popular Star Wars character at the time of prequel release. He made the most powerful Jedi, Mace Windu, a Black character. He made Queen Amidala's captain of the Royal Guard Hispanic. Bail Organa, Princess Leia's adoptive father, is Hispanic. He gave Billie Dee Williams Lando Calrisian, a major role in the Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. That character could have easily been played by a white actor. This was during a time when Blacks were only given stereotypical roles. Sorry but Lucas is anything but misogynist racist and the notion of such is beyond ridiculous considering the evidence above. Also, a lot of military pilots are Blacks. And many Blacks were forbidden from being pilots. I suggest you read about the Tuskegee Airmen
Totally agree.

Old 01-05-2016, 09:29 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,894,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Oh, this is so much silly ignorance! Scifi novels and short stories were "pushing diversity" back in the 1940s and 1950s, sweetpea, because writers from 60 years ago figured that "in the future", racism wouldn't matter much. You want to know what was really "pushing diversity" in the Star Trek tv show? Having Russian-born Pavel Chekov on the bridge in the very heart of the Cold War. Ever hear of the Cuban Missile Crisis? Nikita Khruschev?
I avoided using written sci-fi examples because its audience is pretty niche. Movies and TV get wider exposure. That said, I hardly call Asimov and Heinlein et al color blind and egalitarian. Yikes. Some of that stuff makes me nauseous with all the race and gender stereotyping that goes on. Gene Rodenberry created ethnic characters that were not caricatures. There was some stereotyping but it did not ever reach hurl inducing levels. Lando Calrisian (sp) was a scoundrel and Jabar Binks a caricature. After he got torn a new one, Lucas cleaned up his act and gave Samuel L. Jackson and other ethnic actors better parts. I don't think his heart was in it. I could be wrong, but I think some of the fun went out of it after all that.

Old 01-05-2016, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
So let met get this straight, if there are minority actors, it's just "casting pushing diversity for it's own sake" That's a pretty racist notion. So if you have too many Blacks or minorities, it had nothing to do with the actors' talent or the director's vision?
Outside of the military how many blacks get to do cool stuff like fly planes? Even IN the military how many blacks get to do cool stuff like fly planes? If it takes a Fantasy or Science Fiction setting in order to free blacks in particular, and other ethnicities in general, from the bonds of stereotype and ostracization, forgive me if I am less than enthralled. I have friends from foreign countries that tell me how absolutely shocked and appalled they were, to come to America and see how blacks actually lived. From the movies and TV shows, they thought blacks ran things over here. They thought Roots and other slavery movies were historical pieces created for nostalgia's sake. Well they are, but, race pairings like Eddie Murphy and Dan Akyroyd (sp) or Jackie Chan and Christ Tucker or for that matter the leads in the new Star Wars are pure fantasy.

Old 01-05-2016, 09:40 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,192,652 times
Sometimes you include women and minorities in things not because you're trying to promote their advancement/agenda but because they exist and are all around and so it would make a lot more sense and be more real if they were actual characters in these shows.

Old 01-05-2016, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Sometimes you include women and minorities in things not because you're trying to promote their advancement/agenda but because they exist and are all around and so it would make a lot more sense and be more real if they were actual characters in these shows.
I don't disagree. Maybe Indie Film directors and the producers of Cable Series have this work ethic. Hollywood? Disney? Sorry, I'm just too cynical to believe that the casting of a black and an asian as leads in a big budget blockbuster was done because it gave the movie a more realistic tone.

Old 01-05-2016, 09:59 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,252,514 times
Quote:
I avoided using written sci-fi examples because its audience is pretty niche. Movies and TV get wider exposure. That said, I hardly call Asimov and Heinlein et al color blind and egalitarian. Yikes. Some of that stuff makes me nauseous with all the race and gender stereotyping that goes on. Gene Rodenberry created ethnic characters that were not caricatures. There was some stereotyping but it did not ever reach hurl inducing levels. Lando Calrisian (sp) was a scoundrel and Jabar Binks a caricature. After he got torn a new one, Lucas cleaned up his act and gave Samuel L. Jackson and other ethnic actors better parts. I don't think his heart was in it. I could be wrong, but I think some of the fun went out of it after all that.
Lando was not a scoundrel. He was in charge of Bespin and had to pick over the lives of the entire city or his friend. The needs of the many' remember? Lando ultimately saved Skywalker and rescued Han. It was not a token role by any means. You are just minimizing the role to serve your agenda of calling Lucas a racist. I don't know many directors during his time who would have cast an African American in such a prominent role in a major block buster film.

Old 01-05-2016, 09:59 AM

80 posts, read 46,911 times
Quote:
Outside of the military how many blacks get to do cool stuff like fly planes? Even IN the military how many blacks get to do cool stuff like fly planes? If it takes a Fantasy or Science Fiction setting in order to free blacks in particular, and other ethnicities in general, from the bonds of stereotype and ostracization, forgive me if I am less than enthralled. I have friends from foreign countries that tell me how absolutely shocked and appalled they were, to come to America and see how blacks actually lived. From the movies and TV shows, they thought blacks ran things over here. They thought Roots and other slavery movies were historical pieces created for nostalgia's sake. Well they are, but, race pairings like Eddie Murphy and Dan Akyroyd (sp) or Jackie Chan and Christ Tucker or for that matter the leads in the new Star Wars are pure fantasy.
Really? What movies and tv shows were they watching to get the impression that black people actually run things in America? In how many movies and tv shows that the United States exports were black and minority characters leads? Do your friends get most of their information from entertainment shows or do they read newspapers/listen to the news? Did they not know that slavery existed in the United States? Entertainment shows are not real life and there are plenty of non white people doing things (like flying planes) in real life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events