Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 03:24 AM

4,541 posts, read 1,158,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
There would be no money to be made if people would quit buying all the items that has a picture of a star wars item or character.
Correct but that's NOT going to happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2016, 05:35 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,747,353 times
I hear the Bunny Ranch in Nevada is providing the full "Princess Leia slave costume" experience for a few extra dollars.

Old 01-07-2016, 05:48 AM

1,194 posts, read 1,099,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath V View Post
Star Wars is everywhere and rightfully so! .
That makes it sound like some sort of morally positive cultural influence.

Is it? Admittedly, I wouldn't know.

I'm one of those people who refuses to buy anything with any endorsements or advertising on it. Both Hollywood and Disney fell off my personal map long, long ago and my life is infinitely higher quality with purposefully minimal modern media influences.

Old 01-07-2016, 05:56 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,483,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath V View Post
Correct but that's NOT going to happen.
Not everyone buys Star Wars branded items because it is Star Wars. If an item has Star Wars on it and I wish to buy it I will buy it. There are a lot of food crossovers and if I am picking up some Pop Tarts I have no problem if Star Wars is or is not on the packaging.

Old 01-07-2016, 05:58 AM

1,194 posts, read 1,099,416 times

Wow! It looks like tiny people fell into the machinery at the poptart factory!

Old 01-07-2016, 05:58 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,483,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodmockingbird View Post
That makes it sound like some sort of morally positive cultural influence.

Is it? Admittedly, I wouldn't know.

I'm one of those people who refuses to buy anything with any endorsements or advertising on it. Both Hollywood and Disney fell off my personal map long, long ago and my life is infinitely higher quality with purposefully minimal modern media influences.
Most food packaging is an endorsement and advertisement of the product. Want some Raisin Bran? It is and advertisement and endorsement of itself.

Old 01-07-2016, 07:21 AM

78,335 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Its really sickening really...............
^^^This.

The new movie is frankly a decently done complete re-tread of the original with nothing especially note-worthy. Desert planet, find that droid, reluctant hero, conflicted family member, older leader, death star blasting resistance, gotta take down the shield, older leader killed by conflicted family member, death star blown up....young jedi goes to find master. Same. Damn. Movie.

The gross-overkill of product and media tie-ins is just so forced and commercialized to squeeze every last drop that it's frankly nauseating.

This coming from a guy that LOVED Star Wars and remembers seeing it as a little kid.

The "re-make" is ok, but in the big scheme of things it's pretty much an over-hyped re-packaged rip-off.

Old 01-07-2016, 07:26 AM

3,062 posts, read 7,030,601 times
I will buy them when they go on clearance.

Old 01-07-2016, 07:33 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,747,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
^^^This.

The new movie is frankly a decently done complete re-tread of the original with nothing especially note-worthy. Desert planet, find that droid, reluctant hero, conflicted family member, older leader, death star blasting resistance, gotta take down the shield, older leader killed by conflicted family member, death star blown up....young jedi goes to find master. Same. Damn. Movie.

The gross-overkill of product and media tie-ins is just so forced and commercialized to squeeze every last drop that it's frankly nauseating.

This coming from a guy that LOVED Star Wars and remembers seeing it as a little kid.

The "re-make" is ok, but in the big scheme of things it's pretty much an over-hyped re-packaged rip-off.

I agree with you on the plot, but speaking of remembering seeing it as a kid, I took my 8 year old son to see it and he had the same sense of wonder about it that I had when I saw the originals growing up. Reminded me of when I went to see Return of the Jedi with my own dad. He's already gone to see it again with his mother and is bugging me to see it one more time. The light saber we got him a couple of years ago and was sitting in a closet is now one of his favorite toys.

Old 01-07-2016, 08:04 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
Condoms! Why they've not done that yet is beyond me.
Darth Vader's helmet? Oh-so-many things you could do with a light saber reference...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events