Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2016, 09:31 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,916,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery123 View Post
Looks like it's gonna hit a billion by Saturday.
It's already 700 million.
That's a NEW RECORD.
Just checked .... now at $800 million.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2016, 09:45 AM

1,951 posts, read 1,635,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
Jackpot has been increased to $800 million with a cash value of $496 million. This thing's going over half a billion in cash! Yeah Baby!
It's kind of a scary thing to think about too, isn't it? If you won that kind of money.

1. Could you make new friends? How would you know of their intentions?
2. What would happen to family bonds? Jealousy, greed, etc.
3. Would you ever be left alone again? Thinking of everyone coming out of the woodwork, from financial management companies to "long lost" relatives, people looking to sue for a piece of the pie.

Sure, this happens to lottery winners at all levels, but this new amount is unprecedented. The more money, the more attention. It makes you wonder if there's a witness relocation program for lottery winners!

Old 01-08-2016, 09:50 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,235,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numberfive View Post
It's kind of a scary thing to think about too, isn't it? If you won that kind of money.

3. Would you ever be left alone again? Thinking of everyone coming out of the woodwork, from financial management companies to "long lost" relatives, people looking to sue for a piece of the pie.

Sure, this happens to lottery winners at all levels, but this new amount is unprecedented. The more money, the more attention. It makes you wonder if there's a witness relocation program for lottery winners!
At this level you can buy a Caribbean island like Richard Branson and won't have to worry about it. You can then also have a home in Europe or someplace else that your name wouldn't matter. Or, buy something on the water in the Hamptons or Palm Beach and you'll just be one among many.

And for that kind of money I would take care of my family in an appropriate manner, meaning they'd never go hungry, have no school loans or mortgages, but I'm not saying "Ferraris for everybody".

For the other people looking for a piece of the pie, that's where having a manager/personal assistant comes in.

Old 01-08-2016, 09:56 AM

625 posts, read 952,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numberfive View Post

This is why if people want to play a lottery, they should only play if they can buy tickets in a state where they can remain anonymous. No one can seize the money from you or even fight you over your money if they don't know that you have it. This is also why if I ever won a lottery, I wouldn't even marry someone who wasn't interested in me before I won. I actually think 4 people will win the jackpot tomorrow night, and it will be divided amongst those winners. Honestly, unless I could remain anonymous, I would rather not play and live a normal life, than win all that money and have everyone just use me.

Old 01-08-2016, 09:57 AM

1,218 posts, read 3,467,775 times
I'm going to buy 20 of the same combination of numbers so incase someone else wins I will get 20/21 of the jackpot

muhahahah

Old 01-08-2016, 10:04 AM

18,984 posts, read 9,069,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous51 View Post
This is why if people want to play a lottery, they should only play if they can buy tickets in a state where they can remain anonymous. No one can seize the money from you or even fight you over your money if they don't know that you have it. This is also why if I ever won a lottery, I wouldn't even marry someone who wasn't interested in me before I won. I actually think 4 people will win the jackpot tomorrow night, and it will be divided amongst those winners. Honestly, unless I could remain anonymous, I would rather not play and live a normal life, than win all that money and have everyone just use me.
I knew a woman who, several decades ago, won what today would be considered a modest jackpot of a couple of million dollars. She had people continuously on her doorstep begging for money. She eventually changed her name and moved to a different state. I can't imagine the kind of beggars a jackpot like this would bring out of the woodwork.

Old 01-08-2016, 10:08 AM

9,495 posts, read 9,807,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Assuming no state income taxes.......413 cash value is 250 million after federal taxes.

Now the interesting part. Tax writeoffs (losses) for gambling would be deductible against winnings so you owe 163 million in taxes and technically could write off any losses against that number essentially gambling with Uncle Sam's money with no risk to your 250 million!

Shoot to Vegas and play big time gambler and you could extinguish Uncle Sam's part nicely! If you win that would just be a bonus!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
Jackpot has been increased to $800 million with a cash value of $496 million. This thing's going over half a billion in cash! Yeah Baby!
So around $322M after taxes...

Funny how Wall Street can gamble away money and not be taxed on their capital gains.

If you gamble and win the lottery Uncle Sam taxes the snot out of you.

Old 01-08-2016, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous51 View Post
Very few states like this anymore where a blind trust can win or you can remain totally anonymous.

"If you win the lottery in the U.S., only five states (Delaware, Kansas, Maryland, North Dakota, and Ohio) allow you to legally remain anonymous by keeping your name off public records."

Old 01-08-2016, 10:09 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,486,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
I knew a woman who, several decades ago, won what today would be considered a modest jackpot of a couple of million dollars. She had people continuously on her doorstep begging for money. She eventually changed her name and moved to a different state. I can't imagine the kind of beggars a jackpot like this would bring out of the woodwork.
Oh yeah, it would bring out the beggars and the nuisance lawsuits and the relatives you've never even heard of.

And as someone posted a couple posts back, how would you know if your new friends/lovers are real, or just hoping to get their grubby hands on some of your money?

I would do my best to claim anonymously.

Old 01-08-2016, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
The truth is though that when you win this kind of money you can hire world-class bouncers and people to protect you. It's much easier to fend off people when you win $300M than when you win $3M.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events