Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2016, 11:26 AM

1,951 posts, read 1,635,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Online is still buying the tickets individually and they would never make an exception because it would ruin the game so while they score this week, the loss of future sales would doom the game.

But just for the sake of argument, please call your local lottery office and ask if you can buy all the combinations. I would love to hear the answer.
I don't need to call the lottery office to ask that or if the sky is blue. Any business entity would bend over backwards for a legitimate 9-figure revenue through a single transaction. That includes the lottery commission.

If you think it would destroy the game if anyone did that, no way. Buying lottery tickets doesn't edge out anyone else from winning. And as an added bonus, we could laugh as that "investor" has to split their winnings and lose big.

The house always wins. Always.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2016, 11:30 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,425,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I don't understand how one can go broke with this much money. They should be able to live off the interest & not even touch the money. Unless they get ripped off then I don't understand how this is possible to be flat broke.
A lot of winners that go broke dont actually invest the principle. They go out and buy everything on earth with no addition subtraction skills. I saw an episode of How the lotto changed my life and a woman went out and bought a Buggati (sp?), a Rolls Royce, and a jet. That is exactly how you go broke even with this much money.

There are yachts that can set you back 300 mill and up.

Old 01-12-2016, 11:39 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,991,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
A lot of winners that go broke dont actually invest the principle. They go out and buy everything on earth with no addition subtraction skills. I saw an episode of How the lotto changed my life and a woman went out and bought a Buggati (sp?), a Rolls Royce, and a jet. That is exactly how you go broke even with this much money.

exactly. You think it is coincidence that Heffner put up the Playboy mansion for sale for 200 million? Watch some moron win the powerball and immediately buy this from Heff for asking price.

Old 01-12-2016, 11:46 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,285,443 times
Quote:

A yacht, a private jet, few nice houses and there goes your Billion dollars.
How/where to spend is never a problem, how to get that much money is the real problem.

Old 01-12-2016, 12:07 PM

518 posts, read 764,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numberfive View Post
The logistics are easy, just go to the lottery commission directly. No sense in printing off all those tickets. "Here's 584 million. I win every prize."

There's a threshold where winnings - taxes will still be greater than $584 million. I think we're past that now.

The only fatal flaw is multiple winners. Even one other winner destroys this plan.
I doubt the MUSL will do that at all. You'll need to physically buy the tickets. If they let you do that then it breaks the entire game.

To buy every 292 million combination would take 584 million since its $2 each.

EVEN NOW at 930 million cash sum it's not enough to make a progfit.

930 million - 39.6% tax (lets even assume we live in a state that has no lotto/income tax) = 561 million dollars.

So congratulations you just spent 584 million to make 561 million...why not just cut a check of 23 million to the IRS and be done with it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I don't understand how one can go broke with this much money. They should be able to live off the interest & not even touch the money. Unless they get ripped off then I don't understand how this is possible to be flat broke.
Dude you can go broke even with this much. Yachts, the biggest Hampton/Beverly Hills homes, etc.

Also at this level you're not as much worried about money as you need to worry about your life....kidnapping/ransom/scammers/etc. every crook/crazy/conspiracy nut/etc. will come out of the woodwork.

The jackpot winners in the past have told stories of thousands of phone calls, mailings, and tons tons of pleas from people all over the world.....crazy new inventions, investment opportunities, sob stories, cancer, etc. etc.

Old 01-12-2016, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery123 View Post
A yacht, a private jet, few nice houses and there goes your Billion dollars.
How/where to spend is never a problem, how to get that much money is the real problem.
Right on. I'm sure any one of us could figure out hundreds of ways to spend the largest fortune in the world.

Human beings are capable of extraordinary wastefulness when it comes to spending.

Old 01-12-2016, 12:20 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,364,015 times
Quote:

Why a Bugatti? A clerk at the grocery store told me that's what she'd do with the winnings, too. I mean, yeah, they're pretty cars, and they're popular in vintage racing circles, but I can't imagine why one would appeal to the average person.

Old 01-12-2016, 12:22 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,991,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Why a Bugatti? A clerk at the grocery store told me that's what she'd do with the winnings, too. I mean, yeah, they're pretty cars, and they're popular in vintage racing circles, but I can't imagine why one would appeal to the average person.
I think you should review the newer Bugatti's.

Veyron - Models - Bugatti

Old 01-12-2016, 12:23 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,531,232 times
[quote=ginmqi;42606791}

Dude you can go broke even with this much. Yachts, the biggest Hampton/Beverly Hills homes, etc.

Also at this level you're not as much worried about money as you need to worry about your life....kidnapping/ransom/scammers/etc. every crook/crazy/conspiracy nut/etc. will come out of the woodwork.

The jackpot winners in the past have told stories of thousands of phone calls, mailings, and tons tons of pleas from people all over the world.....crazy new inventions, investment opportunities, sob stories, cancer, etc. etc.[/quote]

I don't get having all that stuff. A cabin some where something small & some land. Maybe a new Mustang MAYBE I've always wanted one. More money to camp/hike, travel & that would be staying in camp grounds. There would be A LOT of money left for my wife's kids & their kids. We would give a lot of money to pet shelters!

Old 01-12-2016, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginmqi View Post
I doubt the MUSL will do that at all. You'll need to physically buy the tickets. If they let you do that then it breaks the entire game.

To buy every 292 million combination would take 584 million since its $2 each.

EVEN NOW at 930 million cash sum it's not enough to make a progfit.

930 million - 39.6% tax (lets even assume we live in a state that has no lotto/income tax) = 561 million dollars.

So congratulations you just spent 584 million to make 561 million...why not just cut a check of 23 million to the IRS and be done with it?
The original post that I was replying to was 'the logistics for buying every combination is difficult'. That's not accurate, since you could walk into the lottery commission office with a big fat check for the total cost of every combination. It's possible and easy.

You seem to be making the same mistake as City Guy 997S: confusing "can you" with "should you".
"Can you buy every combination easily?" Yes.
"Should you buy every combination?" No. Certainly not before the breakeven point, and even after the breakeven point, it's still very risky due to the multiple winners scenario. And I think we can all agree on that.

Whether or not it would "ruin" the lottery is a moot point too, since other people can still win, everybody already knows that the jackpot can be shared, and the risk is fully on the one trying to buy every combination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events