Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 07:26 PM

29,452 posts, read 22,399,288 times

Advertisements

Perhaps they should have made sure she wasn't carrying a banned liquid size in the first place?

Father outraged after TSA pats down 10-year-old daughter - CNNPolitics.com
Quote:
A 10-year-old girl's father is crying foul over Transportation Security Administration procedures after a security officer patted down his daughter for nearly two minutes during an airport security check.

"I was HELPLESS while my 10 yr (sic) old daughter was ASSULTED (sic) infront (sic) of me," Kevin Payne, the girl's father, wrote in a video of the pat-down he posted online on January 1. "Watching this heinous act makes me SICK to my stomach."

Payne in the video also repeatedly described the female TSA officer's actions as groping and said TSA officers initiated the additional screening after finding a Capri Sun drink in her bag. Passengers are not allowed to bring liquids over 3 ounces past security checkpoints.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbYp-kWxyl0

Old 01-07-2016, 07:29 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,524,131 times
I saw this on the news this morning. It did seem a bit intense on a 10 yr. old child. What is this world coming to?

This is exactly why me and my wife don't fly anymore.

Old 01-07-2016, 08:13 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,398,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Perhaps they should have made sure she wasn't carrying a banned liquid size in the first place?

Father outraged after TSA pats down 10-year-old daughter - CNNPolitics.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbYp-kWxyl0
Yea, damn subjects, get back in line.

Old 01-07-2016, 08:23 PM

7,057 posts, read 8,879,982 times
I don't fly anymore either, South Park did a number on the TSA (Toilet Safety Administration)

Old 01-07-2016, 08:35 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,731,763 times
I recently flew for the first time in some years, and yes, it was a little off putting all that they put you through. They pulled me aside and told me they wanted to check my waist, so they did.

However, this is a crazy world these days, and I was glad to see them being so thorough. After all, terrorists think nothing of strapping a bomb to a child younger than 10, so they can not assume anyone is not a danger.

We got to our destination safely, and it was worth the little bit of probing they did. That Father was over reacting and should not have had that size drink on her.

Don

Old 01-07-2016, 08:36 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,398,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I recently flew for the first time in some years, and yes, it was a little off putting all that they put you through. They pulled me aside and told me they wanted to check my waist, so they did.

However, this is a crazy world these days, and I was glad to see them being so thorough. After all, terrorists think nothing of strapping a bomb to a child younger than 10, so they can not assume anyone is not a danger.

We got to our destination safely, and it was worth the little bit of probing they did. That Father was over reacting and should not have had that size drink on her.

Don
The world has always been a crazy place, we just no longer exclude many people from our little part of it.

Old 01-07-2016, 08:37 PM

23,538 posts, read 13,759,846 times
On the other hand......

Mexico drug gangs using more children as "mules" - CBS News

Teenage drug mules: Cartels are tapping minors to smuggle meth, coke | Al Jazeera America

If drugs, then why not the possibility of something else?

Old 01-07-2016, 08:44 PM

14,339 posts, read 14,151,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post

Don
The problem with this kind of thinking is it can become ridiculous. Why not have all the passengers submit to a rectal examination before they fly because perhaps someone has a bomb up there? Look in their mouths too. They could be hiding something up there. And women? I don't think I have to complete the sentence. Maybe we should all fly naked just to create an extra layer of security. Don't tell me that's absurd either. Its the natural conclusion of where all this is going.

What you are doing is engaging in a dangerous line of reasoning. That reasoning is that we can't question essentially any security measure because our authorities will always know better than we do. (even when they don't)

The chances of being killed by a terrorist attack are far less than being killed in some kind of accident are. Yet, we don't take leave of our senses and do extraordinary things because people are killed in accidents.

A proper security policy attempts to balance the likelihood of a particular action against the cost of prohibiting it. It doesn't enact ten thousand rules that are blindly applied to everyone. Honestly, that is just stupid.

Old 01-07-2016, 08:59 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,494,944 times
I'm no fan of the TSA, but the agent was doing her job. Dad was so outraged by this *violation* of his daughter that he posted the video online for everyone to view.

He's sending the wrong message to his daughter by acting like a brat himself.

And as Suburban Guy said, they all left the juice box in her luggage, so what do they expect?

Old 01-07-2016, 09:25 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,959,164 times
She didn't seem traumatized. If anything, his being upset was more likely to have made her upset than anything else.

That being said, that looked more like a rub down than a pat down. I've never seen it done so thoroughly...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events