Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 06:42 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,334,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
A judge ordered Monday that the bond set for Tonya Couch, the mother of a Texas teen known for his use of an "affluenza" defense at trial, be lowered from $1 million to $75,000.

Couch was charged with hindering the apprehension of a felon, after she was found with her son, Ethan, in Puerto Vallarta last month. Authorities in Tarrant County had been searching for the duo since Ethan Couch missed a Dec. 3 probation appointment.

"Affluenza" mom Tonya Couch's bond dropped from $1M to $75,000 - CBS News
I don't understand. When her son got off on the affluenza defense yea I thought it was a scam and not on the up, that the kid got away with murder. But that I could chalk up to just the latest one judge.

Apparently it's the whole local court system that has some serious deficiencies in ethics.

How is a woman who helped her son flea the country and was apprehend on the run in Mexico given bail? They shouldn't be lowering her bail because bail should be denied. She's the text book definition of a flight risk.

If I was the family of those murdered by her son I would be beside myself at how this has all played out. It's disgusting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2016, 06:50 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
I agree. Someone is paying somebody for this white kid glove handling.

Old 01-11-2016, 09:08 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Money talks. I guarantee you somewhere somene just got paid

Old 01-12-2016, 09:35 AM

15,529 posts, read 10,499,357 times
It's maddening because we all hate her. But, the judge had to set bond to what she's actually being charged with. A lot of legal eagles are saying it's still rather high for the offence.

Old 01-12-2016, 10:20 AM

2,936 posts, read 2,334,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
It's maddening because we all hate her. But, the judge had to set bond to what she's actually being charged with. A lot of legal eagles are saying it's still rather high for the offence.
I don't really understand what you're saying. I know the bail AMOUNT is related to the offense she's charged with, but I thought that if the person is a flight risk they can be denied bail?

Old 01-12-2016, 10:36 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,111,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
I don't really understand what you're saying. I know the bail AMOUNT is related to the offense she's charged with, but I thought that if the person is a flight risk they can be denied bail?
Since her son is in custody in Mexico, she's probably not a flight risk anymore. I'm not defending her- there is no defense for her.

Old 01-12-2016, 10:41 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
This all went down in DFW, and I'm in DFW. I don't know anyone here who has a shred of sympathy for Ethan Couch or his mother. I don't know a single person here who isn't outraged by the "affluenza" defense or who doesn't think that kid should be rotting in prison.

Old 01-12-2016, 10:45 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
Since her son is in custody in Mexico, she's probably not a flight risk anymore. I'm not defending her- there is no defense for her.
I agree that there's really no defense for her actions. I believe they're relying on a GPS ankle bracelet, weekly meetings with an officer, as well as the fact her own 'affluenza' has apparently gone missing since her separation to keep her from fleeing.

Old 01-12-2016, 11:26 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I agree that there's really no defense for her actions. I believe they're relying on a GPS ankle bracelet, weekly meetings with an officer, as well as the fact her own 'affluenza' has apparently gone missing since her separation to keep her from fleeing.
Texas is a community property state. File for divorce and she'll get her half of the wealth.

Old 01-12-2016, 11:42 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,992,974 times
I wonder if it is because the initial judge set her bail at a million instead of no bail. By establishing a bail, you've established she isn't a flight risk. Now the defense attorny successfully got them to change the bail to a more appropriate amount for the crime. If the initial judge has set no bail specifying that she is a flight risk, I don't think she would be out on bail. Just my non-lawyer .02
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events