Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2016, 09:45 AM

23,647 posts, read 13,838,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
It's what is likely to happen to you if the police take you into custody and they discover you are carrying a weapon. "On your knees, hands behind your head" is a common standard procedure when taking armed persons into custody. And these days, the police will record the event to prove they performed the procedures properly, just as the Iranians did.

IOW, our sailors got exactly the same treatment we would hope to get if arrested on someone else's property while armed.
It's certainly way I "surrendered" during ship security drills (I played the baddie) in the 80's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2016, 09:48 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,593,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
My understanding is that one broke down and the other stayed with it.
The whole story sounds a tad fishy to me.

If one boat broke down:

Who fixed the broken boat?

How long did it take to do so?

Old 01-14-2016, 09:53 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,442,898 times
The navigation system on two military boats failed at the same time?
I don't believe a word of that.
The USA invaded Iranian waters . The real mystery is why we didn't get blown out of the sea. Rightfully, both boats should have been pulverized.

Old 01-14-2016, 10:05 AM

28,619 posts, read 18,668,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The whole story sounds a tad fishy to me.

If one boat broke down:

Who fixed the broken boat?

How long did it take to do so?

Those details will be in the boat commander's report, which will automatically be classified as SECRET as any normal operational mission report, so it may or may never be revealed to the public.

Old 01-14-2016, 10:26 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,932,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
The navigation system on two military boats failed at the same time?
I don't believe a word of that.
The USA invaded Iranian waters . The real mystery is why we didn't get blown out of the sea. Rightfully, both boats should have been pulverized.
Because it isn't policy to destroy targets on sight, thankfully, wars are started that way, and I think everyone knows the Iranians don't want to start a war with the U.S. because of 10 measly sailors who traversed into Iranian waters with no acts of aggression. I'm glad you're not involved in any diplomatic efforts.

Old 01-14-2016, 10:35 AM

5,263 posts, read 6,004,284 times
The conspiracy theorist in me wonders if this whole event isn't a publicity move to show how good Iran has become ahead of lifted sanctions.

Old 01-14-2016, 10:43 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,932,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
The conspiracy theorist in me wonders if this whole event isn't a publicity move to show how good Iran has become ahead of lifted sanctions.
That is possible.

It's also possible and the same could be said for landing on the moon, the 9/11 attacks, the Sandy Hook shooting, and the shooting of the planned parenthood clinic in Colorado.

Old 01-14-2016, 10:47 AM

5,263 posts, read 6,004,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
That is possible.

It's also possible and the same could be said for landing on the moon, the 9/11 attacks, the Sandy Hook shooting, and the shooting of the planned parenthood clinic in Colorado.
Hence the nature of conspiracies.

Old 01-14-2016, 11:28 AM

28,619 posts, read 18,668,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
I have no doubt that once handed the incident, Iranian politicians saw that possibility. However, compared to the situation a year ago: A year ago, the Republican Guard would have fired on the Navy boats at the first opportunity, so it appears they've gotten instructions to take incidents more reasonably.

Old 01-14-2016, 01:30 PM

18,073 posts, read 18,744,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Because it isn't policy to destroy targets on sight, thankfully, wars are started that way, and I think everyone knows the Iranians don't want to start a war with the U.S. because of 10 measly sailors who traversed into Iranian waters with no acts of aggression. I'm glad you're not involved in any diplomatic efforts.
It is not policy to destroy targets on sight, however, Obama and others supported Turkey in doing so when they shot down the Russian jet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events