U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 03:20 PM

12,600 posts, read 16,682,600 times

Advertisements

This story sounds about right. I had a neighbor covertly spray two 30-year old trees in my front yard with the weed-killer Roundup because he hated the trees. He not only killed the two trees, which cost me hundred of dollars to have removed, but he also killed my lawn and damaged my shrubs. I wish I had had the legal recourse these folks have.

Since then we have bought a very rural farm and have no neighbors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2016, 03:22 PM

17,086 posts, read 9,882,128 times
This is a very strange story.

Old 01-17-2016, 03:45 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,738,258 times
Yellow is a popular color! Was it school bus yellow? I would rather have a yellow house than a gray one....which I do own a pretty yellow w/ white trim house that I rent out and am now living in a gray one!

Old 01-17-2016, 03:49 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,738,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
We had a similar, but also different situation in our neighborhood. A long time resident decided he liked Barney the Dinosaur purple, and proceeded to paint his house that color. We live in a neighborhood where the median price is $450K, and everyone has nice landscaping, and standard exterior colors.
This guy didn't have many friends to begin with, and needless to say, even fewer afterward. Several of us decided to agree to pay for a repaint if he was willing to change the color, especially the two people living on either side of him.
A note was sent via mail and left on his door. He never reached out to anyone, so the hideous purple paint remained.

Unlike the couple accused of repainting the house without the homeowners consent, we just put up with the eyesore, despite being a daily annoyance.
Eventually the house went on the market because the guy died, and fortunately the family buying it changed the exterior color. As a matter of fact, they did all sorts of landscaping, lighting, etc. that has made it one of the better looking places on our block.

The moral of the story is that while many people rail against HOA's, they do serve a purpose of keeping one or two fools from adversely affecting everyone else's property values and piece on mind.

`
I agree with HOA's too for more reasons than paint colors! We bought a house on the lake a few years ago and then this past spring, the neighbor's son moved in and has hauled in 7 vehicles and only use one of them. Looks like a darn used car lot now.

Old 01-17-2016, 03:53 PM

1,039 posts, read 659,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
Seeing that the story is 4 months old, from what I understand, there is no swabbing or dusting that will do anything. The police also usually decline to dust outside because the evidence is usually worthless when exposed to weather. I know this from personal experience, the police refused to dust one of my surveillance cameras after my house was broken into and I had the guy on video grabbing the camera to turn it down.

Interviewing will probably be fruitless as well. And if the bit about the "painters" suing for costs of the work, they already know who did it. No need for any of that.

https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice...e_color_of_my/
Are you kidding, they've swabbed and dusted houses that are DECADES old and found prints and DNA. When you're painting you touch places you don't even realize you touch, such as the underside of window sills. You can leave fingerprints in old dirt you haven't cleaned off. You can touch the paint. How many times do you paint a house and have clean fingers after? Never.

If you're anywhere like where I live, all the neighbours are peering out their windows all day.

A lot of folk will have surveillance cameras

My ex had a set up that captured a mouse hiccupping 3 blocks away - his set up would record not only the painters conversations and number plates, also them slurping their morning tea!

There is evidence out there just waiting to find.

Old 01-17-2016, 03:57 PM

5,685 posts, read 3,160,120 times
Of course they can be charged with the trespass if they hired the trespassers!

On edit... didn't realize we already had multiple pages!

Old 01-17-2016, 04:18 PM

30,348 posts, read 27,821,410 times
Leave the police out of this, it’s not a criminal matter and they don’t need to waste time (as some posts have said) getting fingerprints and DNA. It’s a civil matter and the home owner has every right to force the painter to return the color back to the original yellow. He is held accountable for the painting or he’ll be taken to court and the judge can force him to repaint it. The painter can then issue a charge of fraud against the two redheaded neighbors for misrepresenting ownership on the home. He can then also charge the redheads for the additional second painting of the house.

Old 01-17-2016, 04:32 PM

26,160 posts, read 15,379,923 times
Thumbs down  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14
What recourse does this woman have?
PAINT EVERYTHING YELLOW!!!!

Her house,her cars,her mailbox,etc.... FORCE THE CRAPPY NEIGHBOURS TO MOVE!!!!!

Bloody morons!!

Old 01-17-2016, 05:24 PM

3,821 posts, read 2,210,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie Jean McGee View Post
look at it this way -

what would solve the neighbor hatred best?

1. repainting the house yellow

2. finding a mutually agreeable shade

I'm talking Bigger Picture - they have to still be neighbours which may take compromise on both sides. Assuming they just don't want to arm up and be hostile that is.

Heck they may agree on a fetching shade of orange or aubergine for all we know.
I could give two *****, I'd repaint it yellow, and tell the neighbor to either mind his own business, or move out if he truly hates it that much.

Neighbor should absolutely NOT dictate what color your house should be, or mutually agree on anything.

That being said, there's no way this story could be true anyway.

Old 01-17-2016, 05:37 PM

988 posts, read 842,507 times
I don't believe that this story is true. But, let's pretend that it is.... since there is no HOA, the property owner can paint their house whatever color they want. First, I would file vandalism charges and have this incident investigated, once it was proven that the neighbors were responsible, I'd sue them to cover the cost of repainting the house.

I'd then have it repainted a shade of yellow that I liked, and also hire an artist to paint a mural on the side of the house facing these neighbors, and have them paint a huge middle finger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or