Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 08:19 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie Jean McGee View Post
look at it this way -

what would solve the neighbor hatred best?

1. repainting the house yellow

2. finding a mutually agreeable shade

I'm talking Bigger Picture - they have to still be neighbours which may take compromise on both sides. Assuming they just don't want to arm up and be hostile that is.

Heck they may agree on a fetching shade of orange or aubergine for all we know.

They moved in my house was yellow or blue or brown. I don't have to paint the house the color "we" agree to. They have no decision making capability or financial interest on my property. If that's what they want, they should move into a HOA. It's not about the bigger picture. If they don't like the color feel free to sell and move.
This is like a neighbor coming over and saying we dint like the brand of car or its color. Can you change it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Leave the police out of this, it’s not a criminal matter and they don’t need to waste time (as some posts have said) getting fingerprints and DNA. It’s a civil matter and the home owner has every right to force the painter to return the color back to the original yellow. He is held accountable for the painting or he’ll be taken to court and the judge can force him to repaint it. The painter can then issue a charge of fraud against the two redheaded neighbors for misrepresenting ownership on the home. He can then also charge the redheads for the additional second painting of the house.
How is this not a police matter? They vandalized and trespassed on a property. That is a police matter.

A civil matter is the neighbors hiring the painters to paint their house and the painter accidentally panting the yellow house. That's a mistake ad can be fixed. And it only becomes a civil matter in certain circumstances. Say the painter refuses to paint back to orginal color.

Old 01-17-2016, 09:08 PM

7,702 posts, read 5,446,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
No. A BRIGHTER YELLOW. With purple trim.
No, that's much too tasteful :

Old 01-17-2016, 09:41 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,466,846 times
I can't believe that the woman has no recourse against her neighbors. That's like saying you can't charge someone with murder because they hired someone else to do the murder rather than commit the murder themself. I wonder who told her that information?

Old 01-17-2016, 09:57 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,944,809 times
I didn't read the ensuing 6 pages, but I'd say, "thanks for painting my house a nice shade of grey. you saved me $3,000 and now when I sell it to the H3lls Angels and they rent the extra space to a frat house I'll be enjoying myself in my new condo on the beach in Florida.

Old 01-17-2016, 10:33 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,174,100 times
Yeah, the neighbors were definitely in the wrong here. I can see why they wouldn't like the color, but unless the woman's yellow house was breaking some kind of rule/law of the neighborhood/HOA - which it wasn't - they should have left it alone.

I can't believe they spent thousands of dollars of their own $ hiring someone to paint it a different color. $##%##@ psychos....

Old 01-17-2016, 10:59 PM

2,055 posts, read 1,447,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
The moral of the story is that while many people rail against HOA's, they do serve a purpose of keeping one or two fools from adversely affecting everyone else's property values and piece on mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarragon View Post
I agree with HOA's too for more reasons than paint colors!

I hate to rain on HOA parade, but it would be a complete and total waste of time to form a HOA, unless of course, everyone joined. As a past HOA President, I can tell you that the association has NO power over non-members. Yes, as a group they can belly-ache and moan all they want to, but those complaints will fall on deaf ears. By the way, unless membership in a HOA is a deed restriction, the sale of the property does not automatically make the new owner a member. The new owner must elect to join.

El Nox

Old 01-17-2016, 11:35 PM

16,910 posts, read 10,582,210 times
Is the story real? If so, I doubt the people have any real legal recourse. They got a new paint job, which costs a few thousand dollars. They have no damages.

Old 01-17-2016, 11:41 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,500,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Is the story real? If so, I doubt the people have any real legal recourse. They got a new paint job, which costs a few thousand dollars. They have no damages.
The painting contractor is the one that did damages - of unauthorized work. And I'm thinking he'll 'roll' on the real culprits (the fine examples of the selfie's among us).

Old 01-17-2016, 11:57 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,158,411 times
The young couple sounds a bit unhinged and they must have money to burn through because painting someone else's house must have cost at least several thousand dollars. Gray is a depressing color to paint on one's house facade and does this mean that the couple actually likes looking at somber gray day in and day out? If police can trace the work order back to the couple, the woman has a good case, maybe a CCTV/security camera around the area during the time of the transaction can provide proof of some kind. Wow, this couple must have no problems in their lives and nothing to think about and what bothers them most is the color of someone else's house? I wonder if they would worry so much if one of them became seriously ill, would they have time to worry about colors and such? People that have real problems do not obsess about the color of their neighbor's house. They should feel bless that they have worry-free lives and enough money to waste. I wouldn't care if my neighbors painted their house tangerine orange.

Old 01-17-2016, 11:59 PM

5,048 posts, read 9,614,434 times
This story was on Reddit and the following update posted by the woman this happened to but 4 months ago:

"I was going to wait until the after the weekend to talk to the lawyer I used for their last lawsuit against me, but there have been further developments so I had to call him this morning. Beyond the fact that they have filed another lawsuit against me for the cost of the painters (yes, seriously) I can't say anything further about what has all happened, on the advice of my lawyer. I will provide an update once everything is resolved.
Edit: Thank-you to everyone who responded to my last post. You really know how to make a girl feel special "
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events