Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2016, 07:14 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,747,912 times

Advertisements

I'm a Christian and believe in witnessing, but I have never thought that leaving tracts was a good way to do it. I don't know, they just have a "tacky" factor in my mind. I could be wrong, they may be wildly effective.

What this person did is especially tacky.

Old 01-19-2016, 10:21 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,836,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
People who are fulfilling the Great Commission are not playing practical jokes, they are trying to spread the Word.
exactly. It is the christian thing to do.
However, the article does not mention if a real tip was left, so we are left thinking that the customer was one of those nasty christian people. Typical way to project an agenda.

Old 01-19-2016, 10:39 PM

50,759 posts, read 24,253,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
And I refused to work the week of a Jazz festival, because the concert goers were notoriously bad tippers. Same with high school girls. You example just showed me that the majority of folks at the Mormon pageant were decent tippers.
Not at all. My sister and I got a percentage of my mother's tips, and it was always the least, even though business was at a higher level.

Old 01-19-2016, 10:42 PM

7,024 posts, read 4,885,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
I'm not questioning the practice of tipping. But the part in blue above is just wrong, your claim that employers may behave illegally and NOT pay the required minimum wage notwithstanding.
Unless the law has changed recently, wages for people who make tips are allowed to be under the state minimum wage, precisely because tips are considered to be part of that wage. And there is a minimum amount that you have to declare as receiving for tips, so no, you can't under report your wages to be practically nothing. You could, in fact, have a bad night and end up getting less in tips than what you have to report as income.

Old 01-19-2016, 10:52 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,621,220 times
Next time this customer comes in to order the waiter should serve him a bible verse. Crazy Christians......

Old 01-19-2016, 11:11 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,852,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1954 View Post
Why is this news? Other than as an attempt to paint Christians as bad. So a person who may have been a Christian did something wrong.
I think it is very misleading to make a bible pamphlet look like a $20 bill. If you want to spread the word do it genuinely and transparently.

Bad behavior comes in all denominations, though I would have shared any similar article with any other similar content. Handing out fake money, especially where people need it, is pretty lame.

Old 01-19-2016, 11:29 PM

3,315 posts, read 2,131,554 times
Always ironic when the preferred method of 'spreading the Word' comes in the form of deceit and idolatry.

Old 01-20-2016, 01:52 AM

4,751 posts, read 5,435,775 times
This is an excellent way to turn people away from Christianity.

Old 01-20-2016, 03:08 AM

7,974 posts, read 7,346,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
I would love to know the success rate of tracs.

20 or so years ago, I sent away for some free tracts offered by an agnostic/atheist forum...they had printed on them, "Stay Home Sundays, Save 10 Percent" and a picture of a dead "Jesus Fish" with flies buzzing above it (there's a name for the fish, but I forget it). On the back was "10 Reasons I Am Not a Christian". I intended to give them out when a Christian religious tract was pushed on me, saying, "I'll take yours if you take one of mine." I thought the shock value would be funny, and they'd leave me alone thereafter.

I never had the heart to be that rude or cruel, and I never handed any of them out. I still have them around somehwere in a box. When people try to witness to me now, or offer me tracts, I just politely say, "No thank you, I'm not interested". If they come to my door, I have a good vantage point from an upstairs window, and I don't answer.

My daughter has a health food store, and she periodically gets these two Jehovah's Witnesses ladies who come in with Watchtower pamphlets and ask if she will pray with them. She politely says, "No thank you, I'm in the middle of something important". I don't know why they come in, they never buy anything, and she never agrees to pray with them. She had one customer who had given her a list of Bible verses to read, and when he came in again, asked if she had read them. She politely said she didn't have time for much reading (in truth, she's an atheist and doesn't own a Bible). This made him very angry with her, and he told her she'd live to regret it. I had one of her customers ask me if I knew Jesus and read my Bible. I lied, "Oh, yes." This seemed to please her...but after she walked out the door, my daughter said, "Mother, you are so full of s**t." I said, "What would YOU have told her?" She shrugged and said, "The same." I told her she was full of s**t, too.

She has another customer, a friend and fellow Seventh Day Adventist church member of her grandparents, who sent her a scathing e-mail scolding her about "breaking the Sabbath" (being open on Saturday, which Seventh Day Adventists are not allowed to do). My daughter is not, and never was, an SDA.

Being in business and dealing with religious nut customers is skating on thin ice.

Last edited by Mrs. Skeffington; 01-20-2016 at 04:08 AM..

Old 01-20-2016, 06:56 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,105,948 times
Nothing says "good christian values" like NOT paying somebody for their services....but instead pushing ideals onto them that YOU feel are important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events