Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2016, 12:06 PM

10,105 posts, read 19,326,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
Agreed But the scale should also go the other way.. Friendly server going out of their way to make sure you are satisfied should also have that reflected in tip.

When my DD was little, about 4, she threw up all over the table, booth, floor, etc. We were at one of those all-you-can-eat buffets, and the waiters typically are not tipped well, if at all, because people figure they get their own food. We always leave a decent tip.....this time, we left $40--2 twenties. We also made sure the waitress got it. My DH folded it discretely and placed it in her hand on the way out.

It was late, the restaurant was closing, she was probably dead tired and just wanting to go home, then she had a kid's vomit to clean up. We tried to help, but they told us no, it had to be done a certain way, hazardous waste, yadda, yadda.....they moved us to another table, got us fresh food, even packed it to go because DD was sick, all the while acting like it was somehow their fault....I just felt so bad for the waitress. We never suffered for the lack of that $40, and maybe it helped her over a hump in life, or at least helped end her night on a better note.

Please remember, restaurant staff are human

Old 01-20-2016, 12:12 PM

15,477 posts, read 10,402,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
This patron is cheap. If he was really behaving in a Christian way he would have left some money with that message masquerading as a $20.

Kansas waiter's $20 tip was actually a Bible pamphlet | www.ajc.com
Getting stiffed goes with the job, unfortunately. If I were the waiter, I'd chalk it up to chit happens and move along.

Old 01-20-2016, 12:14 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,343,744 times
Just came back to comment that I read more on the Internet about this young man. He turned down a good person who read his story on social media and offered him $20.00 to replace the tip even though from the article it looks like he really needs the money with school tuition and an auto loan to pay.

So obviously this kid has a lot more ethics, morals and character than the so-called religious jerk who stiffed him with a phony $20.00 psalm. If there is a heaven, I think we all know who will get there and who will not.

Old 01-20-2016, 12:32 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,741,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
It made the news because there is an assault on religion, and in particular in this country, Christianity.
As with all liberals/progressives, they wish to tear down the pillars of a traditional society. They know consciously or unconsciously that if you erode the foundation of morals/values, that is the best way to remake a society of anything goes.
The media (which is typically liberal) likes to denigrate anything religious (except apparently Islamic Sharia). Regardless, when someone says "God bless you", I always take it as a good thing. If I were a waiter, I certainly want to make money, but if someone left me a bible verse, I wouldn't be all up in arms about it.
What does this have to do with the topic you might ask?

Simple, as money is the root of most evil. I am religious, but not overly so. I believe in tipping generously for great service, standard rate for good service, below the norm for poor service. I have also been known to verbally tell the waiter what was lacking, or even write a note explaining the tip reflects the quality of the service.
Just as many people (including myself) will use a movie or TV show to make their point, others might use bible verses to get a message across.

The bottom line is that this story was framed in such a way as to demean the customer as having done something wrong. In reality they may have done something outside of the norm, but money is not always the only thing we should be focused on.

BTW - On a side note, I have a friend who has very little money. Instead of buying Christmas cards, he takes the time to write out a positive Christmas message on a sheet of paper and gives it to his friends.
While some people might find it weird or inappropriate, to me it means more. Anyone can go out and pick a Hallmark card for it's words and buy it. But if someone is willing to make the effort to write out their well wishes, it shows how it comes from the heart, not the wallet.

`
It is a reasonable expectation that a waiter will be tipped with money for their service. I thought it was rude.

Not sure why you assume it is "weird" to deliver handwritten Christmas notes. Part of the intent of the card is to deliver a personal note. You can put it on any paper you want. It is the thought that counts.

Old 01-20-2016, 12:36 PM

28,872 posts, read 30,126,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jburress View Post
Not very christian like at all. Seems like a cruel practical joke.

The patron could have easily left a monetary tip and could have verbally told the server the message he wanted to deliver.
actually, I had that done to me, by a few diner bible thumpers....
didn't bother me much then, but while I haven't waitressed for years, it really annoys me that people seem to be able to afford to go out to eat, but looks for any excuse NOT to tip the waitress....

I even heard them putting down waitresses on a radio station, b/c his food did not come right away...

Old 01-20-2016, 12:40 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,332,049 times
I guess the patron felt that the person's reward will be in heaven.

Old 01-20-2016, 01:01 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,342,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
Individuals like this do not represent the majority of us true Christians.

I wonder why this patron assumes that the waiter is not already a Christian?

Perhaps, the patron meant well but I'm pretty sure that giving a Christian pamphlet in lieu of a tip is not what Jesus would do.
But is she a True Christian™? These types of tracts, not unlike Chick Tracks, are often used by very conservative evangelicals and fundamentalists with a fervent passion for "soul-winning," and not in the generic "spread the message of Jesus" sense, because who isn't familiar with the gospel narratives? Rather, they're campaigning for their own brand of soteriology a la Romans Road, which is very specific and exclusive, and leaves out the many different brands of soteriology. There are a subset of Christian followers who absolutely believe there is one specific way to attain true salvation (salvation by grace through faith alone, as opposed to other doctrines).

So even if the server is Christian, it is still imperative for "soul-winners" to witness their brand of soteriology, which is the "True" way to salvation.

(Says a former "soul-winner"/apologist who left similar tracts.)

Old 01-20-2016, 01:08 PM

2,851 posts, read 2,283,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
Individuals like this do not represent the majority of us true Christians.

I wonder why this patron assumes that the waiter is not already a Christian?

Perhaps, the patron meant well but I'm pretty sure that giving a Christian pamphlet in lieu of a tip is not what Jesus would do.
If he's anything like my religiously obsessed cousins, he's not doing it for the sake of that waiter, he's doing it to get extra points from God. He's "spreading the Gospel" and truly believes that anyone will benefit from it regardless of whether they're Christian or not, and that he makes them a huge favor and therefore he's the one deserving the tips. Although to be fair to my cousins, as far as I know they tip the required 15% but that's because they were raised to conform to the "proper and accepted " way of doing things.

Old 01-20-2016, 02:11 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,893,904 times
Ironically, if anything, the person who left the tract in the hopes of converting one more to his side has done the exact opposite. Way to go! The Lord does indeed work in mysterious ways.

Old 01-20-2016, 03:16 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,973,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
Pretty obnoxious, but a little strange how this made the news.
It made the news because Christian-bashing is in vogue with the so-called tolerance brigade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events